Subwoofer recommendation

But the floorstanders are boomy and muddy for music. No amount of pulling them away from the wall has solved the bass booming problem.

This could be due to location of FS in the room.. Best is to take the bass (below 80hz) away from the FS and direct it to sub which you can try re-positioning in the room to reduce room resonance..

Room Size: 17x14

Re-positioning dual subs in the room should help to greater extent of reducing boom..

If you are primarily looking to tighten bass for music purpose consider REL Ti series.
Assuming it is in your budget.
The high level connection works quite well.
Have one at home and have tried it with 2 amps and 2 sets of speakers.
Cheers,
Raghu
Hello Raghu,
The high level connections definitely look intriguing, especially with separate volume knobs for LFE and speaker level inputs in an REL. The REL T/5i could be within budget. They are out of stock at HiFiMart, any other dealers?

Hi,

If audyssey is broken on your avr, suggest to first fix it and give it another try.

For your current avr, is the problem with your avr or its mic. Does any of your friend has a similar avr, from who you can borrow its mic to check.

Did you tried plugging the rear port of your speakers. Also try slight toe in.

You already have got good suggestions on subwoofer. End of the day, you should get one (or two) subwoofer.

Hello Raghu,
The high level connections definitely look intriguing, especially with separate volume knobs for LFE and speaker level inputs in an REL. The REL T/5i could be within budget. They are out of stock at HiFiMart, any other dealers?
T5i cannot pressurize a room measuring 17x14.
I would not suggest REL Ti series for any serious movie experience.
Fix the room response due to the towers before plunging in for a sub.
If the towers are boomy adding a sub may actually make it worse.
Bangalore has dealers for REL, Rythmik and others.
Make a trip, hook up with dealers, listen to a few subs.
If planned in advance, you may request local FMs to hear out their setups too.
Take it slow and have patience.
Cheers,
Raghu

Hi,

If audyssey is broken on your avr, suggest to first fix it and give it another try.

For your current avr, is the problem with your avr or its mic. Does any of your friend has a similar avr, from who you can borrow its mic to check.

Did you tried plugging the rear port of your speakers. Also try slight toe in.

You already have got good suggestions on subwoofer. End of the day, you should get one (or two) subwoofer.
The mic is fine, also tested the AVR with another mic, the audyssey problem is from the AVR side.

The foam bungs provided with the speakers to plug the sound port isn't helping.
The speakers are toed in for a precise stereo image from my listening position, as of now, but let me play with this a bit more, might help.

T5i cannot pressurize a room measuring 17x14.
I would not suggest REL Ti series for any serious movie experience.
Fix the room response due to the towers before plunging in for a sub.
If the towers are boomy adding a sub may actually make it worse.
Bangalore has dealers for REL, Rythmik and others.
Make a trip, hook up with dealers, listen to a few subs.
If planned in advance, you may request local FMs to hear out their setups too.
Take it slow and have patience.
Cheers,
Raghu
I don't need the sub for movies. I'm perfectly happy with the performance of the towers for movies.
The idea for the sub was to tighten the bass response for music. The mids and highs of the towers are just divine.
My thought, if all else fails, was to set the towers to 'small' in the AVR, and route anything above 80hz to the sub.

I'm also exploring integrating a Stereo amplifier and an AVR. Any advise on this would be much appreciated!

The requirements would be for the AVR to have 'Front L/R Pre amp output'
And 'AVR in' on the stereo amplifier. This way I can control the volume of the front speakers with the AVR and have balanced volume between the surrounds and the center speakers.
Budget would be around 70k for both.

The current options are Marantz NR1509 and Pioneer A-40AE.
I know I'm going to get flak for the power of the Marantz. But I don't listen in loud volume, my ears are sensitive and I can't stand loud volume!
I also understand that it's always beneficial to have power in reserve.

here's my source for the aforementioned setup:

Thanks @Kumar442244!
I have no way of auditioning any speakers here in Mangalore.
Give a visit to Crescendo, No. 207, First Floor, Mahendra Arcade, KR Rao Rd, Mangalore, Karnataka 575003

He might not have SVS, but I remember seeing a few subs around. I have auditioned Kef, wharfdale, Klipsch and the Quad Z2 here.

Last edited:
I'm also exploring integrating a Stereo amplifier and an AVR. Any advise on this would be much appreciated!

The requirements would be for the AVR to have 'Front L/R Pre amp output'
And 'AVR in' on the stereo amplifier. This way I can control the volume of the front speakers with the AVR and have balanced volume between the surrounds and the center speakers.
Budget would be around 70k for both.

The current options are Marantz NR1509 and Pioneer A-40AE.
I know I'm going to get flak for the power of the Marantz. But I don't listen in loud volume, my ears are sensitive and I can't stand loud volume!
I also understand that it's always beneficial to have power in reserve.

here's my source for the aforementioned setup:

Hi Aeroash,

Pls don't bother about flak since you are just expressing your doubts & you may get varied opinions. . I may be wrong but I am skeptical whether the Marantz NR1509 will provide powerful sound at low volume. It will definitely play but in my hearing experience you will get good sound from a relatively powerful amp at low volume with a decent headroom( it also depends on your speakers too). You may need to climb up a little in the Marantz chain. If you can stretch to the SR series then it may be better. Many people don't like listening at high volume but I would still buy a powerful amp with headroom which I could afford within my budget so there is no itch to upgrade quickly in a short span.
Ideally speakers should be purchased first & then the amp which would match & can drive them nicely but no hard & fast rule. I have not heard the Pioneer recently so I cannot comment on it but others who own can guide you better.
I am not trying to discourage you from buying the Marantz NR1509 since I have a Marantz but the model is a little higher in the chain.

Hi Aeroash,

Pls don't bother about flak since you are just expressing your doubts & you may get varied opinions. . I may be wrong but I am skeptical whether the Marantz NR1509 will provide powerful sound at low volume. It will definitely play but in my hearing experience you will get good sound from a relatively powerful amp at low volume with a decent headroom( it also depends on your speakers too). You may need to climb up a little in the Marantz chain. If you can stretch to the SR series then it may be better. Many people don't like listening at high volume but I would still buy a powerful amp with headroom which I could afford within my budget so there is no itch to upgrade quickly in a short span.
Ideally speakers should be purchased first & then the amp which would match & can drive them nicely but no hard & fast rule. I have not heard the Pioneer recently so I cannot comment on it but others who own can guide you better.
I am not trying to discourage you from buying the Marantz NR1509 since I have a Marantz but the model is a little higher in the chain.
Thanks, @Nitin K
I fully agree with you. But my budget does not.
I too am worried that clipping might occur. Always good to have that extra headroom.
I'm perfectly happy with the Denon I have for the Netflix content.
I just need a solution between the AVR and the integrated amplifier so that I don't have to keep switching my towers between the amps manually.
FYI my music content is from Spotify, exclusively.

Thanks, @Nitin K
I fully agree with you. But my budget does not.
I too am worried that clipping might occur. Always good to have that extra headroom.
I'm perfectly happy with the Denon I have for the Netflix content.
I just need a solution between the AVR and the integrated amplifier so that I don't have to keep switching my towers between the amps manually.
FYI my music content is from Spotify, exclusively.

Ideally you just need a power amp to sit between AVR and speakers (assuming the AVR has preouts)
A neater solution is an IA with HT bypass. Parasound NC200INT is one of the more affordable models.
If you can source from the US, it may be worth a try.
Check my signature; the rig may give you an idea.
Cheers,
Raghu

Hi Aeroash,

What you said is at the back of my mind and has been nagging me, because it's true! We tend to look at audio equipment within our budget, because that's the most sensible thing to do, financially. But more often than not we realise in a few months' time that the equipment isn't cutting it anymore and we need to upgrade. You realise you had purchased a subpar product and ultimately end up buying something that you should've purchased in the first place! When you look at this from a financial point of view you actually end up spending more (The subpar equipment first + the new ideal purchase). I'm sure most of us have been here, in this godforsaken situation!

The options in equipment I had stated above is definitely a compromise (with regards to AVR). I know I'll end up pushing that AVR, running it hot and loaded, with the possibility of introducing distortion and sacrificing audio dynamics.

Ideally you just need a power amp to sit between AVR and speakers (assuming the AVR has preouts)
A neater solution is an IA with HT bypass. Parasound NC200INT is one of the more affordable models.
If you can source from the US, it may be worth a try.
Check my signature; the rig may give you an idea.
Cheers,
Raghu
Thanks @raghupb
Unfortunately, I don't have the option of procuring equipment from the US.

Give a visit to Crescendo, No. 207, First Floor, Mahendra Arcade, KR Rao Rd, Mangalore, Karnataka 575003

He might not have SVS, but I remember seeing a few subs around. I have auditioned Kef, wharfdale, Klipsch and the Quad Z2 here.
Thanks @ssf
I did visit Crescendo. in fact, this where I had purchased my Denon 5 years ago!

The Q Acoustics towers you possess are of decent sensitivity (91dB).
The main issue is the impedance number (6 ohm nominal and 4 ohm minimum).
This will stress out lower end Denon/Marantz AVRs.
NR1509 is 50Wpc. Recommended power capability for the towers are 25W or 50W depending on amp type.
So do consider a power amp for the fronts, if you buy the NR1509.

Search for someone who knows someone in the US.
You will get Parasound NC275v2 power amp for 400USD.
Dirt cheap for what it is capable of and it weighs 9 Kg.
I got mine carried by a friend in a regular suitcase.
Try hard to find that mule service :)

Cheers,
Raghu

The Q Acoustics towers you possess are of decent sensitivity (91dB).
The main issue is the impedance number (6 ohm nominal and 4 ohm minimum).
This will stress out lower end Denon/Marantz AVRs.
NR1509 is 50Wpc. Recommended power capability for the towers are 25W or 50W depending on amp type.
So do consider a power amp for the fronts, if you buy the NR1509.

Search for someone who knows someone in the US.
You will get Parasound NC275v2 power amp for 400USD.
Dirt cheap for what it is capable of and it weighs 9 Kg.
I got mine carried by a friend in a regular suitcase.
Try hard to find that mule service :)

Cheers,
Raghu

Hahaha...Why Not!
I'm chucking the idea of upgrading my AVR for now, as it is perfectly acceptable for movies. The only connection I'm missing is the Front speaker pre-outs. I'll get something beefy when budgeting permits.
Instead, I'll invest in a decent Integrated amplifier for the same money.
I'm thinking of the Audiolab 6000A. It has a Pre-Power bypass mode, will future-proof my setup.

Makes sense for a music setup. Confirm if Audiolab 6000A can do HT bypass for future needs.
Cheers,
Raghu

Hello folks!

I recently purchased the QAcoustics 3050i along with the 3090Ci.
Speaker placement has been tuned for good stereo imaging.

The speakers are simply fabulous for movies! But the floorstanders are boomy and muddy for music. No amount of pulling them away from the wall has solved the bass booming problem.

I'm now considering adding a subwoofer to tighten the bass response for music.

My preference would be for tight bass and not loud thundering bass. What would be my best subwoofer options to achieve this?
A sealed sub option like the SVS SB1000?

Room Size: 17x14
If for music ,better buy a stereo amps (either integrated or pre-pro with an external DAC based on your budget prefrence and good audition) .. Then u can try placement of FS and add some acoustic treatment .
This may solve the problem.Still if u feel lack of bass ,then u can think of adding of subwoofer (either REL or MJ acoustics model subs ).

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back