Subwoofer recommendation

This post will be the culmination to my original query on this thread for a subwoofer recommendation.

Here’s a little background story: (Or jump straight to the Rythmiks)

My journey began on HiFiVision in 2010, when I was looking for a simple stereo setup for a small room. I ended up with the Usher S-520, A Harmon Kardon HK3390, and a used Marantz CD 6002, purchased from FM @suri, who so graciously let me have it for a bargain.

The setup was a big step up for me in stereo, and I disappeared into an aura of music ever since, while taking a hiatus from HiFiVision.

Circumstances had me move my setup from my computer room to the living room in late 2019, and that’s when I realised that the Ushers were not going to cut it anymore. The Harmon Kardon was long gone due to a chip failure, replaced with a Denon X1000, and the CDP was let go to an FM in 2015.

Q Acoustics 3050i

After a couple of beers, and checking my bank account for a positive balance, I decided to plunge into a Floorstander. After thorough research, a pair of Q Acoustics 3050i parked themselves in my living room in December 2019. I was so BOWLED over by them, I was ecstatic, they were fantastic! The adage ‘No replacement for Displacement’ is rather apt.

I had an echo in the room that needed to be tamed. This led me to a DIY project to fabricate some acoustic panels, and these worked perfectly.

Here are some pictures of the panels in another thread.

https://www.hifivision.com/threads/diy-room-acoustics.71796/post-860652

Audiolab 6000A

I decided to treat the Q Acoustics with a deserving amplifier, and I picked up the tried, tested, and trusted the Audiolab 6000A. My first impressions were that it sounded ‘different’. It was airy, spacy, a sound signature that I wasn’t used to. I quickly went back to my comfort zone with the Denon, a sound signature that I was accustomed to.

The next day I decided to give the Audiolab another listen and it quickly grew on me! I thumped my chest and confidently declared ‘They are a perfect match’ (the Q Acoustics and the Audiolab)

Paradigm PW Link

The original booming issue (mentioned at the start of this thread) still existed.

I decided to tame this with room correction, and something that would do correction on the cheap. Mini DSP was the first obvious choice, given its versatility, but then I realised I wouldn’t have the patience for the ‘learning curve’ involved. Another sweet contender was the paradigm PW Link, which would also serve as a streamer, this was perfect for me, a simple and straightforward correction software, with a streamer! As my luck would have it, the PW Link was nowhere available online in India.

A quick query in the ‘wanted’ section led me to FM @superczar to part ways with his PW Link. A special mention to @superczar for navigating me to set it up and troubleshoot, he was immensely helpful.

The room correction did help in sorting out the booming issue by cutting down the suspecting frequency and giving me a flat response overall. I was happy, all was well, …….for a while, until something started to bother me! In the guise of a flat response the room correction had bumped up the upper midrange and this wasn’t pleasant to listen to all, it was subtle, but it bothered me.

I bypassed the room correction and looked onwards to tame the boom.

DIY Bass Trap

My research led me to sum up that the ‘Room is the prick, and is responsible for everything you listen to’.

I mugged up whatever I could on the internet and along with FM @elangoas suggestion on the appropriate foam to use, I dived into another DIY project, for a Bass Trap.

Some pictures here:

https://www.hifivision.com/threads/diy-room-acoustics.71796/post-861646

The trap, along with panels on the back wall corners, behind the curtain, did manage to soften the boom, and I was pleased.

Crown XLS 1502

While everything seemed to be in harmony, I noticed that the Audiolab could breathe and sing a little better with a Power Amp. Internet scavenging again, I bumped on this wonderful little gem. And was surprised that a few of the FMs were already using Professional Audio amps for Home Audio purposes. FM @drkrack 's review of a model in the Crown’s stable was enough for me to give this amp a try.

Here’s his well-articulated review:

https://www.hifivision.com/threads/crown-xls-2502-my-review-of-sorts.75020/

This amp is a beast, to say the least! Pumps out volume effortlessly. I would be wrong if I said my first impression was all rosy. It wasn’t. The amp sounded harsh, as also described by @drkrack. But I held my patience and gave it enough time. It has gotten much better. The highs have smoothened out and tapered to being tolerable, and enjoyable, again!. The soundstage is super wide. Truly happy with the setup. These amps can be had for cheap. If ever you come across one do give them a listen, you might just be surprised.

Rythmik L12

Coming back to my original query for a subwoofer, as was the intention of this thread, I do have to thank all the FMs who contributed with their time, expertise and suggestions, especially @Kumar442244, for his review on L12, which was the first nail on the coffin, (Here’s his review)

https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...ion-experience-and-feedback.68426/post-759302

And then finally, for his preliminary discussions with Santosh, of Prosonics, which sealed the deal for a pair of Rythmik L12s. Thanks @Kumar442244.

The Rythmiks arrived last week, and I have been playing around with various placements since then. The only way I would describe their sound is ‘LUSH’. They just melt in the background, filling the room with soft and wide vibrations. They also made me realise how low the Q Acoustics dig, at times I have to double-check if my subs are powered on.

Because the QAs go so low, I have dialled down the subs to go below 45Hz, and they do it wonderfully. Not as effective for music, as most of the music I listen to doesn’t dig that deep in the lower frequency. But I was thoroughly surprised by how wonderful the kick drum sounded in some of the pop songs I have heard all my life. The subs have given the lower registers a life of their own, they sound energised, without the added slam, or thump, they are soft and clear.

The Rythmik’s have added a whole new dimension to movies. You can feel the energy of the horses galloping, or a space ship taking off, the room reverberates pleasantly.

You know you have a well-synergized system when you just want to keep cranking that volume up, and every instrument and every beat is still precise, clear and separated, it just puts a devilish smile on your face.

This has been an incredible journey, a journey that has been a learning, fruitful, expensive, but totally worth it. And I must rest for now, and be immersed in the music I love! This forum has exceptional human beings! What a delight it has been!

P.S. This is a really nice track to check your imaging. The Vocals are dead centre, the snare drum so precise with a hint of reverb, and that bassline in the background that binds everything together.

Spotify link

Youtube Link

Don’t forget to turn up your volume all the way up, let your neighbourhood in on this too!
Thanks @aeroash for the kind words.
Good to hear that the review helped in making a decision.
Happier to learn that you are thoroughly enjoying the setup.
Happy listening and keep the music rocking ur life.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back