Subwoofer selection Wharfy SW-150 Vs Polk DSW PRO 500

hifi

Hello All,
I am planning to add a subwoofer to my minimal setup consisting of

* Yamaha RX-V450
* Boway 828 Tower (Basically a home theater speaker)

I have not tried either of the sub, but the specs says that DSW PRO can go upto 23Hz (the -3db limit is 30Hz) whereas SW-150 can go only upto 30Hz (Not sure whether this is the -3db cut off or overall).

The Polk is around 4K costlier than Wharfedale.

I plan to audition both.

All the reviews of SW-150 says that it is a good match for Wharfedale diamond speakers and some says that it is not a good sub for movies.

How does it match with full range tower speakers?

My listening is 50% music and 50% movies and I mostly listen to country music.

I am more inclined towards DSW PRO 500.

Please advise me.

Pradeep

I previously had the wharfedale sw150 and yes it din't do justice to my 2200 cubic feet room for movies.
Music had adequate performance.

Thanks for your feedback Audiodelic,
Can you please tell me to which sub did you upgrade?

That's Impressive Satish, Do you get thrown off from chair? ;)

I believe you can only "feel" the sound below 20 Hz as we are not able to "hear" below 20Hz.

Will it be a good idea to go for DSW PRO 500? Are there any comparable subs in the same price range?

I am sorry that I did not give the price upfront,

The prices that I got are as below:
DSW PRO 500 - 22K
SW-150 - ~19K

My budget is < 25K (Limited by home minister :))

Our very own Ranjeet from the forum had recomended JBL E250P on some other thread. It costs around 25k. So it fits your budget also.

Here is the link for the sub
JBL Home Audio

You can PM Ranjeet if you want other details. I am sure he owns one or has auditioned it.

Thanks,
I will get in touch with Ranjeet.

What is your opinion about Yamaha subs? Are they good only for movies?

Thanks,
I will get in touch with Ranjeet.

What is your opinion about Yamaha subs? Are they good only for movies?

Not sure about that as never have heard one. But I am sure there are better choices. Yamaha has and is known for its amps and AV receivers rather then it's speakers and subs

Could not reply to Ranjeet's PM since his inbox is full.:(

Ranjeet, Can you please clear your inbox?

hi hifi

u never mentioned the specs of your room, that way it will be easier and better to get suggestions from the forum members.

tks

u never mentioned the specs of your room, that way it will be easier and better to get suggestions from the forum members.

The setup is kept in a room of size 22' X 20'.

hi, check the availability of JBL E250P in your city. dont settle for the less.
this is a nice product & good value for the money. you can check various online reviews for this Sub ! you cant go wrong about this Sub..........there are many better quality products are available in the market but for the limited budget & looking at the room dimensions this will serve you well. Its has a 12inch woofer which can easily fill your room!
cheers, have fun

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back