Subwoofer suggestions

Earlier I had the Def tech pro sub 1000. It was ok for music/movies for a small room . But in bass intense scenes it would hop around from its original place:). It has the high level connections if you are interested in connecting that way. At that time it was quite expensive for what it was worth.
At the same level , pls look into XTZ 10 inch & SVS PB 1000 which will offer better value. Def tech is known for its fudged specs, especially for its subwoofers.
Thats the problem with passive radiators,it increases cabinet vibes unless its a heavy cabinet. Faced the same with my Elac as well.

Thats the problem with passive radiators,it increases cabinet vibes unless its a heavy cabinet. Faced the same with my Elac as well.

Yes, the cabinet was light with the radiator at the bottom. It was an ok sub if it was priced at Rs.35,000 around 3.5 years ago but I bought it at 50K.
The frequency response as per Def Tech specs was 18 - to 150 hz which is totally wrong. I had played a test track which was below 20 hz to check if I can feel the vibrations but this sub sounded too weak for that track & I couldn't feel a thing. I suspect it could go down to 35 Hz. For music it was ok & movies not that much impact.
I emailed Deftech about their claims made in their specs but they never bothered to respond & that is when I decided to sell it off & buy an SVS which does what it says in the specs. Later on from the net I came to know from many users that Deftech's specs are fudged & inaccurate & you have to add around 20 to 30 hz to their specs. Though they do make good speakers.

Last edited:
Although the OP mentions subs under 40k, many suggestions above 40k and wondering why no mention of Klipsch and Dali E12F subs. Are they that bad?

I have seen reviews where they have mentioned about klipsch subs but i dont they you would be able to get them for 40-45k ,yes some members have suggested higher models but what i am after is the sub which gives you best bang for the buck, i guess those would be
1 pl200ii (acc to reviewers the best budget sub )
2 velodyne impact 12 mkii (did like the initial impact series)
3 polk hts 10/12( a mix bag some say to go with 12 others say 10 is better )
4 yamaha sw300( the cheapest of the lot,specs seems promising and fm's who own it are all praise for it)
None of the above mentioned subs are more than 250 watts rms ,except yamaha where it says 300 watts not sure if its rms or peak
My biggest concern is if I am getting any of these subs will it have a bigger impact than my aero 9 which is a 500 watts sealed sub with passive radiator. Have played test tone for 23hz from youtube(so cant be sure if its a genuine 23hz tone) and the aero played it with ease

Yes, the cabinet was light with the radiator at the bottom. It was an ok sub if it was priced at Rs.35,000 around 3.5 years ago but I bought it at 50K.
The frequency response as per Def Tech specs was 18 - to 150 hz which is totally wrong. I had played a test track which was below 20 hz to check if I can feel the vibrations but this sub sounded too weak for that track & I couldn't feel a thing. I suspect it could go down to 35 Hz. For music it was ok & movies not that much impact.
I emailed Deftech about their claims made in their specs but they never bothered to respond & that is when I decided to sell it off & buy an SVS which does what it says in the specs. Later on from the net I came to know from many users that Deftech's specs are fudged & inaccurate & you have to add around 20 to 30 hz to their specs. Though they do make good speakers.
Perhaps it was the rooms limitation and not the sub? I remember some tutorial video that i saw which stated that you cant have ultra deep bass i.e. sub 30hz in a small room due to the basic limitation of physics. I didn’t dare delve any deeper as i maintain a wide berth whenever i hear math or science.

I have seen reviews where they have mentioned about klipsch subs but i dont they you would be able to get them for 40-45k ,yes some members have suggested higher models but what i am after is the sub which gives you best bang for the buck, i guess those would be
1 pl200ii (acc to reviewers the best budget sub )
2 velodyne impact 12 mkii (did like the initial impact series)
3 polk hts 10/12( a mix bag some say to go with 12 others say 10 is better )
4 yamaha sw300( the cheapest of the lot,specs seems promising and fm's who own it are all praise for it)
None of the above mentioned subs are more than 250 watts rms ,except yamaha where it says 300 watts not sure if its rms or peak
My biggest concern is if I am getting any of these subs will it have a bigger impact than my aero 9 which is a 500 watts sealed sub with passive radiator. Have played test tone for 23hz from youtube(so cant be sure if its a genuine 23hz tone) and the aero played it with ease
I think the yamma is rated at 250w though the name suggests 300. Also, the yamaha is a great sub for what it is but don’t go expecting big impact. It struggles with ultra low bass frequencies at high volumes (lots of port/driver chuffing)..

Perhaps it was the rooms limitation and not the sub? I remember some tutorial video that i saw which stated that you cant have ultra deep bass i.e. sub 30hz in a small room due to the basic limitation of physics. I didn’t dare delve any deeper as i maintain a wide berth whenever i hear math or science.

My room does have limitations and not big at 14 ft length X 11 feet width and height and is also a dining room too. So not a dedicated room with reflections too.
But room limitations aside, the Def tech Prosub 1000 certainly does not go down to 18hz and in bass heavy scenes it use to bottom out. Def tech is known to put ambiguous specs and mislead its actual specs.
Replaced it with SVS PC 2000 and never felt the need for more bass at half the volume. It goes down below 20 hz ( rated to go down to 16 hz) and does it with ease.

Last edited:
My room does have limitations and not big at 14 ft length X 11 feet width and height and is also a dining room too. So not a dedicated room with reflections too.
But room limitations aside, the Def tech Prosub 1000 certainly does not go down to 18hz and in bass heavy scenes it use to bottom out. Def tech is known to put ambiguous specs and mislead its actual specs.
Replaced it with SVS PC 2000 and never felt the need for more bass at half the volume. It goes down below 20 hz ( rated to go down to 16 hz) and does it with ease.

I’ve heard really good things about the PC2000. Have you tried measuring it with an spl meter to gauge the frequencies?

I’ve heard really good things about the PC2000. Have you tried measuring it with an spl meter to gauge the frequencies?

Yes, its really good. I don't have a spl meter to measure the frequencies. There was a sub 20 hz Halloween track in this Mark Henninger review which I had downloaded from Sound cloud but it seems it is no longer there.

At the beginning of the track you feel only vibrations whereby I could not feel anything on the Prosub 1000. On the PC 2000, the windows & shutters vibrated very strongly with 50% volume. Movies like Jumanji, Spiderman far from home, Spectral & Uri were a treat on it. That was enough for me to gauge it.
Apologies to the OP to digress from the thread. But If my budget is around 45K, then I would try to get a preowned XTZ 10 or a PB 1000. Have heard good things about the BIC PL 200 too. Best is to hear the shortlisted subs at a friend's place or at the showroom after this covid crisis & then decide.
Better not to take a hasty decision.

Even i am open to getting used svs or xtz subs ,bt the prob is the availability and the price, most people who own them dont seem to wanna sell them

Looking for a subwoofer to go with my denon x2600h and pioneer Andrew Jones speakers room size is 10*12 budget under 40k

I know the following two are not a forum favorites but you can have a look. Suits your budget(post discounts) and requirements.

Even i am open to getting used svs or xtz subs ,bt the prob is the availability and the price, most people who own them dont seem to wanna sell them

Hi Sujith,
Love4sound is selling his XTZ 10. Price is the only factor, you may need to decide on that and if possible hear them. Listen to even Barun's suggestion.

Regards,
Nitin

Last edited:
Any idea about getting it from US or UK via ppobox, borderlinx or ubuy etc is it worth using it or should i stick to buying from local dealers
Getting from US/UK will be more expensive than buying india after you consider the shipping and custom charges. Just an FYI sometimes the customs will consider final price including shipping charges to calculate duty, which will end up more than 30% duties.

If someone Is carrying it from the US then probably you can bring it without paying custom duties.

Hi Sujith,
Love4sound is selling his XTZ 10. Price is the only factor, you may need to decide on that and if possible hear them. Listen to even Barun's suggestion.

Regards,
Nitin
Yes we already had discussed about the sub but the prob is the price, the only prob is i am looking for something which can better my aero9 so if i end up getting a sub which cannot outperform my aero 9,then i wont be doing justice to myself,coz like i said i have tried playing a 25hz tone from youtube and it handled the tone well

Yes we already had discussed about the sub but the prob is the price, the only prob is i am looking for something which can better my aero9 so if i end up getting a sub which cannot outperform my aero 9,then i wont be doing justice to myself,coz like i said i have tried playing a 25hz tone from youtube and it handled the tone well

I don't know how Youtube test tones are since I had used a wav file for testing. I would suggest you should ideally hear the subs shortlisted before any purchase to avoid any disappointment then. The Aero 9 seems to have impressive specs & goes down to 21 hz as per their specs & at 500 watts seems good. A ported sub will play louder at lower frequency than a sealed one though.

Last edited:
I don't agree with you. I request you to not come to a conclusion without experience. My HT is a small dedicated (12x16) room and in my room I get response until 12hz (currently am running Rythmik FV15HP with single port 14hz tune). I have three subs dual PB2000s and single FV15HP. All these subs are for uniform distribution of sound across five seats.

I don't agree with you. I request you to not come to a conclusion without experience. My HT is a small dedicated (12x16) room and in my room I get response until 12hz (currently am running Rythmik FV15HP with single port 14hz tune). I have three subs dual PB2000s and single FV15HP. All these subs are for uniform distribution of sound across five seats.
Mine is a small room as well just 11*10 and using a single sub I get response till 18Hz. In fact in the lower region(18hz-45hz) is where the bass is strong and smooth.

70C49FF7-1315-47C5-BC78-1E0C16D5CE25.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve heard really good things about the PC2000.
I clarified i saw an explanation/tutorial video and i qualified the first sentence with the word “perhaps” so lets not de-emphasise the purport of the term and “perhaps” jump to conclusions ourselves ;). I also thought i made my ignorance on the subject/theory very clear?

I put the idea out there and i’m glad that this myth has been busted for me (thanks @Love4sound ). Aren’t we all here to exchange ideas and figure things out?

Last edited:
Can you guys suggest me where to find test tones i got some but they are in mp3 need something in wav or flac codec

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back