Subwoofer under 20k?

but even this cuts off at 120,
how much a continuous power makes a difference, can you explain?

can you also check
Yamaha YST-SW315 250W
Frequency range of 20 to 160 Hz.

Last edited:
Continous power is the real deal. The other is faff. If your AV room is relatively small and hence easy for a higher powered sub to fill; then this "excess capacity" translates into more headroom for it to deliver. So, don't be conservative in matching power output to room size, if that is what you have in mind when you first picked the 55 W sub.

Upon yr request, I had a quick look at the Yamaha site too. The 315 sub claims to deliver 250W into 5 ohms (?!) at 10% THD at 100Hz. Rather suspect, I find this. IN general, Yamaha products in electronics are held in much higher esteem vis-a-vis their speakers and subs. However, hearing is believing and so, I'd suggest you go check it out and let us know yr findings. How much is this price at?

BTW, i have now found out that logging into hifivision.com seems to be an excellent energizer post-lunch:) Cheers!

I accidentally ended up audiotioning a Torvin 12" powered sub this weekend in chennai (SW 1100 IIRC)
I was more than pleasently surprised by the level of control the sub had on the bass without a hint of distortion or even boominess even when pushed to a low cutoff and high vol on the sub.

At a price of 18K, I personally feel they are a steal, as they are good enough to compete with models double its price but from more well known brands

Any definite idea about pricing?

Thanks

thought i'd throw in a brand or two - just to make things more difficult for you:D. on a serious note, hsu and velodyne are brands esp known for their entry level subs. am not sure if they're available in india though

thought i'd throw in a brand or two - just to make things more difficult for you:D. on a serious note, hsu and velodyne are brands esp known for their entry level subs. am not sure if they're available in india though

AFJ, Velodyne is available in India, but not the Hsu. These should in any case cost between 30 to 50K.

BNS, if you are serious about Indian brands, I can talk to Audiocraft and re-look at the sub from Audiocraft. Please define your exact requirements, and specifically mention the albums and numbers you will like me to listen to. Do you like booom, echoing, or do you want the drums to be exact and without any reverberation?

I can get Audiocraft to design and wire a good sub, test it at my house, and ship it to you. I am sure till the testing , there will be no commitments. I can test it with a Onkyo 875.

The Audiocraft subs are very inexpensive. I am sure you can get one at 15K.

Cheers

Hi,

I have narrowed down my sub choice to two.

I have WF diamond 9.6.

Which one is better.

Polk DSW PRO 600

or Klipsch Synergy Sub 12

Your opinions whether do they match.

Thanks

Pradski - are you sure you need a sub for the 9.6? It goes down to about 28hz - which is quite staggering. And I can tell you that the bass from these floorstanders (I listened to 9.5) is really weighty and does have the potential to shake you at high volumes.

So, if at all you plan on a subwoofer, it has to be something really powerful, one which digs deep with plenty of slam and impact. I like the EPOS ELS Sub around the 30K price range.

One thing I can tell you is that the 9.5 itself completely swallowed the Wharfedale SW150. So, you have got to look at significantly powerful subwoofers, if at all you go for one.

Thanks vortex.

But the Polk 600 is 600w rms and klipsch is 650 w rms with 12" woofers. Are they not powerful enough for these.

Any idea who deals with EPOS in bangalore if you happen to know. or in chennai.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Raghu of Decibel deals with EPOS in Chennai. I think the main distributors of EPOS are in Bangalore.

About the subwoofers, here is what I have understood from my understandably very limited experience. It does not matter what is the wattage rating of the subwoofer, for the most part. In some cases it does not even matter how low it goes on paper (according to specifications). Bass is not about the quantity but about quality. Whether it is quick and tight and taut and all those nice adjectives used to describe bass. What is the driver's recovery period from one note to another? That sort of thing...

I have also understood that a larger driver in itself means that the subwoofer might be less musical. It is difficult to get the larger driver to move fast enough to be musical. The converse is also true. The smaller drivers may not make the best home theatre subwoofers.

A word about the Polk. I did not listen to the DSW Pro 600. But my audition of the Pro 500 was not hugely impressive. It was not bad, but it was not astoundingly good either. However I believe it is great value for money at around the 20K mark. However I did not see it as being very musical. The other aspect is that the remote controller sort of limited the amount of adjustments that one can do. For example, there are four fixed levels of volume at which the sub can perform. I would like more flexibility. Also there are no manual controls on the sub itself to override the remote control.

Hey guys,

I do not want to scrap the thread but I have a few queries.

The IKON sub sounded really fast, good, taut based on my very little experience but I believe have good ears. That was quoted 48K. Movies were matrix 1, 2 and LOTR -1(Most important scenes) - Vector Hyderabad.

All Wharf dales sub(I believe I missed the sub costing 32.5K) sounded average - no thump, tautness and fastness to next scene but costing 18K and upwards as model improves.

In vector floorstanding were Wharfdale Opus - costin, I think he quoted 1.22L+ and its centre channel.
Second, with IKON 6 FS's.

KEF pro 3500 sounded good too but quoted around 55k - Profx, Hyderabad.

Here the FS were KEF IQ9 and surrounds were IQ1.

True, the rates are high and sounds are fast and better but does the little ones(costing less) improve overtime and yes say for a room from 220 to 250 sqft size(my living room - plain and no acoustic help at all)

Will buying the little ones spoil the whole experience . I prefer no to bring speakers home and then decide not to buy. I know its no problem but its kinda awkward(do not me guys)?

Will the EPOS do good for such a small footprint? I did listen to POLK though...

I have a yamaha v663.

PS: A bad query still.., will KEF IQ9 + DALI IKON sub combination be good complementing 663.

Man!!!, I've been reading every other thread and still unable to make a decision. Yes, I need some more time for the cash to be ready but so many brands to audition , much less time to contemplate and the smaller group I listened drives me bonkers. Phew.Sorry me.

Anooj - I have not listened to the Ikon or the KEF subs, so I cannt comment on their quality or suitability. But all of it depends on what you actually need. Whether you are looking for a musical sub that does justice to music by moving with the beat and not trying to overpower the system or you are looking for the ultimate home theatre sub which is built on the cornerstone of overpowering.

The larger subs mostly tend to be fantastic home theatre subs but sometimes miss out on musicality and overall tonal integration with the speakers.

Also, if I am not too far wrong, getting the tonal integration of the sub right, with a standmounter setup will be harder than trying to getting it integrated with a pair of floorstanders.

Most of all, it is really not clear what your budget is. That and your inclination towards music/movies should be the determining factor in this case.

Thanks vortex,

Now i am convinced and polk is out of my list.

I just read your sub woofer choice thread now.

How is the EPOS ? what is the model name

Is it that powerful like you said.

And what is your opinion on Klipsch synergy sw 12 if you happen to know

Thanks

Thanks Vortex,

Is EPOS earth shattering bass?

My preferences are movies - 80 and music -20. My dielemma is as I said in many other posts:D. When I started to listen music coming out of these FS's, i was hurt thinking of the crap I was listening and music is such an enjoyable thing. Anyways its mainly movies. I thoroughly enjoy movies and games on my PC thru logitech z 5500(2 years) and would do so but its not enough and its only a good multimedia speaker package.

Also, Vortex what is this 'standmounter' ?

Though IKON sub was 48K quoted it was very satisfying, also with KEF. IF I am buying, so will be only in hyderabad and only the brands available here. Hence asking about them.

Budget is alright till 35k for sub and can extend till 50K for a sub but sure will need little time since only 2.1 setup till 5-6 months.

i do not intend to change the subject hence please keep the rush for sub going.

thanks again.

I have also understood that a larger driver in itself means that the subwoofer might be less musical. It is difficult to get the larger driver to move fast enough to be musical. The converse is also true. The smaller drivers may not make the best home theatre subwoofers.
Vortex,
I think we are missing the point of what a subwoofer does. A sub is meant to add low-freq weight to the whole audio experience. It is normally meant to be felt, not explicitly heard. Ideally, subs carry forward the audio spectrum after your main speakers have reached down to their lowest level. In a good floorstander, this level is around the 30-40Hz mark.
To cite one example, both REL and Quad L have comparably large drivers but are among the best in their price class. I think what you're referring to as far as driver size is concerned is when you use a typical sub-sat system, where the sub does work starting from the lower midrange to the low frequencies. But then, this is not really a subwoofer, just a woofer in a separate cabinet. In that case, you're right...larger driver-> more inertia->slower transient response. However, the classical definition of a subwoofer is one that extends the low-freq reach of the main woofers.

Vortex,
I think we are missing the point of what a subwoofer does. A sub is meant to add low-freq weight to the whole audio experience. It is normally meant to be felt, not explicitly heard. Ideally, subs carry forward the audio spectrum after your main speakers have reached down to their lowest level. In a good floorstander, this level is around the 30-40Hz mark.
To cite one example, both REL and Quad L have comparably large drivers but are among the best in their price class. I think what you're referring to as far as driver size is concerned is when you use a typical sub-sat system, where the sub does work starting from the lower midrange to the low frequencies. But then, this is not really a subwoofer, just a woofer in a separate cabinet. In that case, you're right...larger driver-> more inertia->slower transient response. However, the classical definition of a subwoofer is one that extends the low-freq reach of the main woofers.

Since we are on the subject of a subwoofer <20K, is it possible to buy a "real" powered subwoofer under 20k. If yes, any any suggestion? Usage is 99% music. What would be your opinion on a passive box powered by external
amplifier.

Thanks in advance

S. Bhat

AFJ,
BNS, if you are serious about Indian brands, I can talk to Audiocraft and re-look at the sub from Audiocraft. Please define your exact requirements, and specifically mention the albums and numbers you will like me to listen to. Do you like booom, echoing, or do you want the drums to be exact and without any reverberation?

I can get Audiocraft to design and wire a good sub, test it at my house, and ship it to you. I am sure till the testing , there will be no commitments. I can test it with a Onkyo 875.

The Audiocraft subs are very inexpensive. I am sure you can get one at 15K.

Cheers

Thanks a lot, Some how this escaped me, since the offer was nested in reply to Venkat CR. So nice of you. Would keep this in mind. If I have understood correctly you live in or arround Chennai. Could you please call end inquire with Torvin about their 1100/1150 range. Any idea about quality of their products etc.

Regards

S. Bhat

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back