Subwoofer under 20k?

MTP

Hi all,

I was looking at Subwoofer to go along with my Jamo Concert 605 towers, for my home theater setup, I am not too impressed with the Jamo sub so dint want to go with that. I would appreciate if you guys could recommend a value for money sub under 20k....maybe max 25k but that would be streching it.

Thanks,

Prashant

Going strictly by price, the Wharfedale SW-150 comes to mind. It must be around 18,000. I have not heard it so I cannot comment but have heard good things about it. But hope that's a possible lead for you.

JBL E250P 12inches 250 watts , massive sub woofer , excellent bass and quality for Rs.30,000/- try this before u buy any thing.

I have purchased a Wharfedale SW-150. It is available ariund Rs. 18K. It is very good. In fact perhaps the best in that price category. I use an Onkyo Receiver for the system.

Thanks

Hi Neogy,

In case you auditioned the Sonodyne Roarr 2815 sub (you being in Kolkata and all), please ket us know how you reckon it compares to the Wharfie SW-150 that you did buy...the price differential between the two seem marginal...so, your feedback will be really useful for me. thanks.

regards,
Srinath

I doubt if you can find any sub in india with built in DSP and remote in your budget.

But you can check out SW250 from Wharfedale Diamond series, if your budget allows.

All the best.

Last edited:
I accidentally ended up audiotioning a Torvin 12" powered sub this weekend in chennai (SW 1100 IIRC)
I was more than pleasently surprised by the level of control the sub had on the bass without a hint of distortion or even boominess even when pushed to a low cutoff and high vol on the sub.

At a price of 18K, I personally feel they are a steal, as they are good enough to compete with models double its price but from more well known brands

Delighted with the latest addition to my A/V setup - Bought the recently launched 200 W Polk DSW PRO 500 subwoofer. Over the past few weeks, I did my research & due diligence (especially the bit on Class D amplification versus the traditional Class AB) and whole host of other stuff.

Most of all, I'm thankful to Unleash_me and Particleman for sharing their audio gyan that held me back from initially jumping to close the deal on some "popular" brands which in turn helped me see the light on what really constitues good sub performance.

At around the 20K price point, this new Polk sub is a product category winner.

I'll put it thru' its paces during the weekend and report back next week. Cheers!

I picked the same sub (DSW PRO 500) 2 weeks ago

As I was hoping, you cannot hear this sub
It's only when you disable it that you realize something is amiss :D

BTW I first wired it via LFE but wasnt satisfied
I finally ended up wiring it pre-out ->Sub -> Amp In method and the bass quality improved by miles

There is a very good sub woofer by Mordaunt-Short, model no. 309i. This costs around 18K and is very good value for money.

But the MS 309i sub does not spec the -3db range of its freq but instead just mentions 35 Hz to 200 Hz which could jolly well be its overall freq resp. BTW, the Polk DSW 500 goes down to 30 Hz (lower -3db limit) and upto 160 Hz (upper -3db limit). Its overall freq response is 23 Hz to 160 Hz.

During the U-571 depth charge scene, the Polk sub repeatedly shook the ProFX listening room!! That apart, it's musicality was very good when I played my Dave Brubeck CDs (Blue Ronda a la Turk and Take Five). Ditto with my Clapton unplugged CD too.

Ah! I'm keenly looking fwd to this weekend!! Cheers~

But the MS 309i sub does not spec the -3db range of its freq but instead just mentions 35 Hz to 200 Hz which could jolly well be its overall freq resp. BTW, the Polk DSW 500 goes down to 30 Hz (lower -3db limit) and upto 160 Hz (upper -3db limit). Its overall freq response is 23 Hz to 160 Hz.

During the U-571 depth charge scene, the Polk sub repeatedly shook the ProFX listening room!! That apart, it's musicality was very good when I played my Dave Brubeck CDs (Blue Ronda a la Turk and Take Five). Ditto with my Clapton unplugged CD too.

Ah! I'm keenly looking fwd to this weekend!! Cheers~

Does this come under 20K range?

IN bangalore polk audio sub 12k

I v been to the AV store near barton centre ,bangalore mg road area

they displayed a polk audio sub for 12 K it was big and nice .

Kaushik

Re: IN bangalore polk audio sub 12k

I v been to the AV store near barton centre ,bangalore mg road area

they displayed a polk audio sub for 12 K it was big and nice .

Kaushik

Which Model is that? This could probably be PSW10 i guess..

The Polk PSW series is rather sad with extremely boomy bass
Pick the DSW series if you can, else look for alternatives.
Don't pick the PSW in any case

M planning to Buy a

Klipsch KSW-10 Subwoofer Speaker
Max Output Power 225 Watt
Minimum Frequency Response 29 Hz
Maximum Frequency Response 120 Hz
Subwoofer driver 10 in

18000 INR
this is the best deal is I compare the configurations wit the other subs at around 20k

Avi
Onkyo TX SR605
Klipsch Quintet III
LG LC7Series - 37"LCD

I had a quick look at the Klipsch site. This sub has a continous power of 55 watts ONLY. Second observation - your satellites play from 120 Hz onwards. The sub cuts off at 120 Hz. This seems IDEAL on paper. In reality, some overlap of the two operating ranges may be a good thing. It will be useful to avoid an audio HOLE around the 120 Hz +/- 10 Hz or so. KSW-10 is reco'd with Quintet II. So, why not try out the Sub-10 that is matched your quintet III?? Thirdly, i find it handy to have a remote for the sub...especially when cranking it down when playing music and ramping up the level for HT etc...rather than reaching down & groping for the knob at the back...:)

Good luck with yr search...

then what do you say about?

Klipsch Synergy Sub-10 Subwoofer
FTC Rated Power: 200 watts continuous @ 1% THD, Dynamic Power*: 420 watts

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back