Subwoofer usage for stereo or movies selectively

Yes it will. Set your IA to say 12'o clock position and run the setup. Audyssey will level the speakers accordingly. Each time you use the AVR , set IA to this volume position. When using just the IA use it normally.

I used my setup this way for a couple of years and had no issues. I would Not recommend switches as no matter how convenient, they do affect the sound quality.

MaSh
Thanks a lot Mash, knowing that it is tried tested and works well in this way.

Yes it will. Set your IA to say 12'o clock position and run the setup. Audyssey will level the speakers accordingly. Each time you use the AVR , set IA to this volume position. When using just the IA use it normally.

I used my setup this way for a couple of years and had no issues. I would Not recommend switches as no matter how convenient, they do affect the sound quality.

MaSh
Is it really good to run two preamps in series? Your AVR has a preamp and when you set your IA to 12, you’re using its preamp as well. You should be connecting the AVR to HT bypass port of the IA.

MaSh
That's a simple but great way to set the reference volume for the IA.

Is it really good to run two preamps in series? Your AVR has a preamp and when you set your IA to 12, you’re using its preamp as well. You should be connecting the AVR to HT bypass port of the IA.
Unless the IA does not have an HT bypass mode (none of my 4 integrateds have a bypass mode). Good that the OP hasn't purchased an IA yet so a relevant factor to take into consideration.

Unless the IA does not have an HT bypass mode (none of my 4 integrateds have a bypass mode). Good that the OP hasn't purchased an IA yet so a relevant factor to take into consideration.
That's precisely why I need to know about the connections and settings in the IA before deciding which would be my second step.
Better to take advice from the experts who have used this kind of an arrangement before diving in :)

OP wants to use the sub in movies and 2-channel mode.
For this the IA/separates must have HT bypass for L/R/Sub preferably with bass management.
Cheers,
Raghu

Hi FM's,

I had a hypothetical question. Suppose you have an integrated amp and an avr in the same rig where you want to use the IA purely for stereo listening with the sub. Whereas for movies the same sub would be used with the avr with the IA powering the fronts via preout.
Is this is possible without interchanging the .1 rca cable everytime between both depending on the usage ? Can you'll pls let me know if this is possible without having 2 setups and 2 subs. The setup would be a 5.1

This thought came to my mind since new avr's keep on coming with new formats and advancements frequently. Whereas one can stick to your favourite IA for years to come with the same sound signature and invest in a mid level avr of any reputable brand when the time is right. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Nitin
Why not use something like this?

I share my Sub (REL HT Series) between my AVR and Active Speakers. The Pre-Out of the AVR goes to the .1 input Sub, whereas the Pre-Out of the Active Speaker goes into the input port adjacent to the .1 port. No manual switching of RCA cable is required.

Why not use something like this?

I share my Sub (REL HT Series) between my AVR and Active Speakers. The Pre-Out of the AVR goes to the .1 input Sub, whereas the Pre-Out of the Active Speaker goes into the input port adjacent to the .1 port. No manual switching of RCA cable is required.
Thanks OM, that too could be a good option.

Sorry guys, just one last thought came to my mind. If the fronts are connected to the IA & the center + rears to the AVR then does Audyssey have control & execute the room corrections for the fronts too for movies ?
After Audyssey setup is done. Under Audio settings in the AVR, see the options under Audyssey there is an option (Byp. L/R) I think this would work well for IA. Apologies if this is highlighted by someone earlier as I just jumped into the thread. Was too tied up with work and personal commitments.

After Audyssey setup is done. Under Audio settings in the AVR, see the options under Audyssey there is an option (Byp. L/R) I think this would work well for IA. Apologies if this is highlighted by someone earlier as I just jumped into the thread. Was too tied up with work and personal commitments.
Thanks for the input Eddie but would prefer the avr to be off for stereo listening as it would be only through the IA.

Hi Raghu,

Thanks for the quick response. But the Rel HT 1508 in my gear does not have high level connections. Just .1 life and XLR which the avr, Marantz SR 7011 does not have.
Also assuming if both types of connections are there on the sub, how will it automatically toggle between stereo listening and movies?

Regards.
A simple RCA Switcher? Even you can get it DIYed. If you think of any signal degradation you can go overboard with wbt conncetors, Mundorf gold solder wire and and silver cables or so.

It would just have 2 rca inputs and toggle switch for output. One input from avr and other from stereo amps pre out.

Yes, in an ideal world with an HT bypass feature present or a poweramp. However, if the IA does not have this feature, then setting it to a fixed position is a perfectly fine alternative.

Thanks a lot Mash, knowing that it is tried tested and works well in this way.
Oh yes, it sure works. You could read about it in the article below and in various other articles.
How to Connect an Integrated Amplifier to an AV Receiver
In fact, I prefer this setup to a pure power amp hooked to a receiver as here the stereo amp acts as an input selector and is a great way to segregate various chains connected to the same pair of speakers. However, in your case, you should definitely look at a component with a HT bypass feature.

MaSh

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back