Suggest a good quality Electric Ceiling Fan speed regulator

Brajendu

I m looking for a very good quality Electric Ceiling Fan speed regulator. The indian made Anchor, Cona are the best available here in Pune shops but I found that they lack finer speed control. When I keep it at '1' the fan runs very slow, but if I just turn to '2' it suddenly increases...and I feel cold early morning :).

I even tried with a more expensive brand 'Legrand' but no improvement.

Can somebody guide me to a good brand and place to buy?

This is what I've currently:
5zmeF3N.jpg

Like they say in those philosophical far eastern movies....

"May be the regulator is not the problem ....but fan is"

Also Mumbai weather solved one problem. In my hall still using a small fan without regulator.Here I do not control fan ..I control myself (by wearing extra layer of cloth)

another eastern philosophy.....

yea, regarding the philosophy U R right Hemant :). But its not the Fan, because all the 4, 5 Ceiling Fans I have at home have the same issue. I m very sure, its not the fan but the SPEED REGULATOR. Another problem is that my kid catches cold because he throws away the blanket all the night.

OK..jokes apart, any suggestions ?

Same problem here too.
These electronic regulators do not regulate properly and the kids throw away the blankets and catch cold.
I am also looking for a solution.
Hemant: Maybe you are right, but then how to select a right fan? (assuming the regulator is not the problem)

These days the regulators available are step regulators. I have an orient fan and legrand regulator and it seems sometimes the difference between speed 1 and speed 2 is not proportionate.

There are scheinder regulators in the drawing room but I havent noticed as yet how do they work at different speeds.

Many year back We had regulators of anchor which were not step regulators. They were free flow just like the volume control. How exactly did they perform I dont remember.

Maybe some company still makes them if step regulators were not introduced because of some safety norms (not sure)

Searched on ebay and there are 2 interesting results-

Stepless fan regulator

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-GANG-VA...8667?pt=UK_Light_Fittings&hash=item1e69a12a3b

7 Step fan regulator

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Digital-7-St...667?pt=IN_Home_Appliances&hash=item4d0df38fd3

While the stepless fan regulator might work as it would work on the analog principle rather the 7 step fan regulator might give you more control over speed because of 7 speed settings instead of the traditional 5.

Last edited:
I replaced my Legrand stepped regulator with dimmer from Legrand. The objective was to have step less speed regulation. The shop keeper warned me that it will increase the humming noise from the fan. And yes the noise increase was high enough to be disturbed and I went back to my old stepped regulator.

However I did find a difference in regulated speeds for the same model fans and regulators installed in different rooms. Finally shifted a regulator from living room to bed as it was giving the correct speed I wanted at number 2 position.

These days the regulators available are step regulators. ...

While the stepless fan regulator might work as it would work on the analog principle rather the 7 step fan regulator might give you more control over speed because of 7 speed settings instead of the traditional 5.

These are different - Dimmer, stepped regulator and stepless regulator.
Dimmer are only for non inductive (winding less) load. Not suitable for motors.

Stepped regulators are RC coupled voltage controller which changes power to AC motor. But manufacturing tolerances and individual brands have used linear design which result no/less power lower speed and no difference at higher steps.

Step-less regulators are SCR controlled (electronic) regulators which are controlling speed as per requirement. But they are noisy as they are controlling Mains Power by chopping sine wave, passing required portion to Fan motor. This generates electrical noise and some motor may not like this sudden change in power supply pattern which is happening constantly each and every second.

From last 2 types I suggest stepped one which suits to your fan. There no good or bad. I am using local 150Rs stepped regulator which could be rotated in any direction 360 deg. No problem so far.

By changing the regulator brand, you need to change whole box setup.
My builder had given me Rider brand (most of the builders use this in Bangalore) switches and regulations which is not easily available in normal stores. So I went on replacing it with Anchor's Roma, but the issue is it is not getting fixed to the modular box clearly and the electrician suggests to replace all the items (plug-switch-regulator) in the box to Roma.

Scheinder regulators are good.

By changing the regulator brand, you need to change whole box setup.
My builder had given me Rider brand (most of the builders use this in Bangalore) switches and regulations which is not easily available in normal stores. So I went on replacing it with Anchor's Roma, but the issue is it is not getting fixed to the modular box clearly and the electrician suggests to replace all the items (plug-switch-regulator) in the box to Roma.

Scheinder regulators are good.

Very true.
An alternative could be to install the regulator of choice in a separate box adjacent to the switchboard. That way, the entire "module", (as it is called in the trade parlance) need not be changed.
But yeah, even I am fed up of these electronic regulators.

These are different - Dimmer, stepped regulator and stepless regulator.
Dimmer are only for non inductive (winding less) load. Not suitable for motors.

Stepped regulators are RC coupled voltage controller which changes power to AC motor. But manufacturing tolerances and individual brands have used linear design which result no/less power lower speed and no difference at higher steps.

Step-less regulators are SCR controlled (electronic) regulators which are controlling speed as per requirement. But they are noisy as they are controlling Mains Power by chopping sine wave, passing required portion to Fan motor. This generates electrical noise and some motor may not like this sudden change in power supply pattern which is happening constantly each and every second.

From last 2 types I suggest stepped one which suits to your fan. There no good or bad. I am using local 150Rs stepped regulator which could be rotated in any direction 360 deg. No problem so far.

Omishara's info are always very informative & educative for people like me who are novice in Electronics!..thanks a lot man! But I m unable to understand fully abt the Stepped-Regulator theory U mentioned. Is that not suitable? What will suffice my need is to have FINER control over the range. May be a 7 stepped knob will work better for me as suggested by Goyal.Sanchit. Thanks everybody for your valuable advise. :)

With scr you see these kind of waveform fed to fan motor.
scr4.png

Or

Figure-Output-across-the-ceiling-fan.gif

You see that vertical changes are sudden rise to voltage and could burn the motor.

Oh...so this is the reason why is the noise and unstable performance & risky as well (in my layman term :)). So the best option is Stepped. But do we get very good quality Stepped regulator here other than Anchor & Legrand?

dears dears dears

im from chennai. im an electrical and electronic enthu......

night OK speed morning too cold...

blame is not on regulator NOR on FAN. techincally speaking.

night times when you set a speed using stepped or smooth regulators you feel enough at that time. so what makes difference in the morning.

points to consider at night time
1. household voltages will be less (most of electric loads will be ON during night times almost all lamps in all homes, AC, TV sounds etc etc etc)
2. earth temperature is considrably high

what happens in the morning
1. after 1AM almost all electric loads will be disconnected including AC with timers, so voltage at your FAN will be higher, so no matter what position the regulator is the FAN will sure pickup some speed. so more air throw and more cold
2. Earth temperature will be sure down because of masiration of moon.

so, the only one way we have is to go with smart regulators which will control FAN speed according to room temperature (which we dont have in market today)....

or switch off or re-set the speed after 3AM or somewhere after when you feel cold

actually im planning to design a smart FAN regulator with temperature feedback. will see if i suceed.:cool:

Read up a bit on EC fans. That would clear a lot of doubts I am seeing coming up here. Technically, it is a bit difficult and detrimental to provide 'speed-control' on AC motors in fans. VFD (variable frequency drive) is one way, but not viable for ceiling fans. EC could have been worth it, even energy consumption-wise, but still quite prohibitive in price till such time this technology gets to give it the required volumes. This will provide both, absolutely proportional step-less speed control as well as power consumption.

Connect TWO 4-Speed Ceiling Fan Regulators in SERIES

So could I connect 2 RC type 4-speed electronic speed regulators in series to get 16 speeds? (Might have to be careful not to burn the motor at very low voltages) But this should be possible to do? Any educated comments?

Any valuable comments OMishra??

TIA

Last edited:
Back