Suggest A Radio

confused

I want to have a AM/FM Radio for Kitchen for my wife
we live in such area where AM signal quality is not that good and nearby FM station is some 50 kms (though we can hear it well,cannot be tunned at kitchen)
So please suggest

would depend entirely on how good a tuner it is. Some of the vintage tuners of the 70s and 80s can do wonders with weak signals. I don't know much about specific models, but I've read about stuff from Sansui like the TU-217 and the TU-317. Used ones should go for under 5k (or even much less if the owners are not aware of their value), so could be worth looking out for.

But as the signal is very weak... will any radio set grab it cleanly?

Thanks al for suggestion.
But my req is a decent ordinary radio set that can run on batteries.Since we get very few hours electricity during daytime any hi end or midend set wont be run.So i need plain vanilla radioset.Any suggestions?

you may want to make an antenna for better FM.. grab a radio set, buswal or AKS are the ham radio people they can help

Hi confused,
you mean to say that you get good F.M reception in your house but not in the kitchen? Or you don't get any FM reception at all in the house?
I am bit confused with your situation.
Thanks.

Kamal,if i sing then my house wil be surrounded by army.....Of donkeys,wondering who is so worst than us so that singing thing is out of que.
Anyway thanks for witty solution

i have a fantastic solution confused - it goes like this

buy one of those 43.5 feet tall bamboo ladders - should be available in solapur.
before you stand the ladder add a small pulley (the one used to draw water from a well) and string a 30 metre twine thru it - to one end attach any FM antenna, erect the ladder against the nearby sindoora mango tree, and pull up the fm antenna - take the two ends into the kitchen and hook them to the radio-
voila! you and your wife will sing along to the beautiful tunes that your murphy radio produces! (IF YOU HAVE A MURPHY RADIO DO NOT PART WITH IT)

and, apropos your question - what radio? - any radio will do, as long as it powers up, and has FM and AM tuners

Last edited:
Thanks audio! Do u mean now gruding radio set from old market or there are shops who sales it?If so pl let me know where they are?

I want to have a AM/FM Radio for Kitchen for my wife. we live in such area where AM signal quality is not that good and nearby FM station is some 50 kms (though we can hear it well,cannot be tunned at kitchen) So please suggest

But my req is a decent ordinary radio set that can run on batteries.Since we get very few hours electricity during daytime any hi end or midend set wont be run.So i need plain vanilla radioset.Any suggestions?

31T%2B8W3M62L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Sony ICF38 Portable AM/FM Radio

51Z4KO32RJL._SS500_.jpg

Sangean PR-D7 AM/FM Digital Rechargeable Portable Radio

Or the coolest of all but don't think it runs on batteries.
model_one_classic_walnut_m_800.jpg

Tivoli Audio Model One AM / FM Table Radio

Hi!

I had purchased 'Ultravocs' I-Pod dock cum FM Radio manufactured by Power Electronics, better known as Torvin Audio for 8.5K. It has a very decent sound. You should probably check it out.

Regards

Rajesh

If AM and FM is what is required in Kitchen, then one should try some of the Philips radios that are getting sold online. My mother uses Philips RL118N and it works on internal DC battery or AA batteries. If we run radio fully charged internal DC battery, I can sometimes receive MW Akashvani Najibabad from North India all the way down to Central India 1400 km away.

If someone is coming from Dubai, try to order the Sony ICF-J40 radio. It seems to be good quality.

If you visit anytime to New Delhi side, try visiting the Chandni Chowk area or Old Lajpat Rai Market. There are many electronics shops which sell portable radios.

There are lot of options out there. If its just FM that you're wife is interested in, then Philips or Sony have readily available solutions. Can be purchased from Amazon or Flipkart. Not a bad idea to have AM as well, just in case she wants to catch up with the News and you don't have an AIR FM channel in your area.

On another note, my wife uses her mobile phone with earphones for the purpose.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back