suggest best SQ MP3 player

Sandisk Sansa is the best VFM player on the market today, it can drive even the most demanding headphones.

dont go with Apple, its the Bose of MP3 players.

Cowon D2 & IAudio 7 are also good, but on the expensive side.

as for the headphones, I cant believe moserw (who has assisted me with my query very nicely) saying that apple's stock earbuds rock :confused:

whats your budget for headphones? EP630 are still the el cheapo buds, post your headphone query on head-fi.org also you can buy from Jaben singapore. they have a forum where you can read about all the headphones, IEMs etc. along with praises for the owner of jaben whom everyone calls uncle wilson.

In short, if you are serious about spending on earphones, then head over to the jaben forums, as in India you will not get good choices.

thanks for info. i dont want to spend much on in ear phones for outdoor activity (EP630 seems to be ok, i can spend few hundreds more for senheiser in ear phones if anything is available in that range) as i am also planning to but senheiser head phones subsequently for use at home.

thanks for info. i dont want to spend much on in ear phones for outdoor activity (EP630 seems to be ok, i can spend few hundreds more for senheiser in ear phones if anything is available in that range) as i am also planning to but senheiser head phones subsequently for use at home.

moserw,moshel
I agree wholeheartedly with moshel. I really couldnt believe that someone said the apple stock ear buds are the best. They have barely average sound quality and their build quality is pathetic. More than a handful of my friends who got Nanos had one of their ear buds conking off within a few months after they bought it. It is true that the Ipod looks the coolest,has a small form factor and the interface is the simplest and coolest, but thats where the story ends!

moserw, You say ipod stock buds are better than the stock headphones with other players? Please check out the ep830s that come with the creative zen or the mdr 82s that come with the sony walkmans, you will be blown away by the difference.

wnrao, I suggest sansa clip with ep 630( its a cheap but ok sounding pair of durable phones) for jogging and maybe one of the senny hd202 or the like for home use. All this will be light on your pocket.
edit, senn canal phones will cost much more.

Last edited:
I read somewhere on this thread that Iriver would be difficult to find in India. But according to the site they have appointed Salora as their distributor. Following is the list of retailers

iriver India| Where to Buy

I have IPOD shuffle 1 gb, IPOD Nano 3 gen.4gb and IPOD classic 120 GB players i am quite satisfied with the sound quality of each one of them although i found IPOD shuffle 1GB player slightly better than others in sound quality.

here i would also like to add that i had read negative reviews of microsoft zune player . but actually when i heard the sound of Zune 30 GB player with one of my friends i was highly impressed by its sound quality i found it even better than ipod's. hope to add to it to my collection very soon .

I go through a fair number of these as I tend to use them when doing physical actitivites like gym etc. The Sandisk Sansa has been ridden with quality issues. the shuffle etc. are mediocre at best for SQ. What has consistenly helped in such purchases are better headphones like Sennehiser or Grado. They make the sound experience much better than any stock headphones any day.

@moshel, @iaudio - No offense meant so please don't get offended guys.

The requirement of the OP is.

dear friends

i am looking for a MP3 player for audio only.need not be feature rich but should give best SQ.

memory of 1 or 2 GB sufficient.

want to use for jogging, so prefer with non slipping ear canal head phones (if required i can buy seperate in ear headphones like creative EP630).

also may use the player as a source to my amp with audio out to amp (is there any better way to connect to amp)

shortlisted scandisk sansa+creative EP630 headphones and ipod shuffle ( need to change head phones, can i download my MP3 music from my PC or due to itunes any limitation is there).

pl suggest me some good sounding MP3 players. thanks in advance.

Any my recommendation with reasons given...

Apple iPod anyday. Their headphones are the best. You can consider Creative Zen too, but Apple wins my vote especially for their great headphones which give great SQ and are a snug fit.

BTW, wondering why not use a mobile for the same? These days all mobiles play mp3s and sound great too. Also less hassle with carrying additional h/w.

Now some of the suggestions given are way out (at least for me). Sennheiser and Shure are recommended as is buying from Singapore??? And that too only headphones, what about the MP3 player itself? Sure even I can recommend Focal speakers to everyone who asks for a HTIB in a limited budget, but the only problem is the Focals cost upwards of USD 35,000 (at least the model I am going for) and yeah they are the best ever, but tell me how will this help someone with a budget of INR 25,000 and looking for an all in one solution to play music/movies. It's better if replies/suggestions are given in line to benefit the OP and his/her requirements. Just recommending Sennheiser/Shure headphones as well as buying from Singapore with all the additional costs of shipping etc. thrown in (and that too without the MP3 player does not help the OP in anyway). I will still stick with my assertion/suggestion. For what the OP requires/wants Apple iPod rocks. It's SQ is way better/or on par with other MP3 players in its price range (please don't compare high-end headphones here) and yes it's headphones are a snug fit and deliver great/good/reasonable SQ (this is subjective). I have used a ton of mobiles like Motorola E398, Sony Ericsson K750i and W850i, Nokia N Series, Motorola ROKR E6 and barring the Sony Ericsson all other mobiles come with headphones that cannot be used for hours on end. Sony Ericsson is so so. An Apple iPod I can personally vouch can be used for hours.

No issues mate!:)

Sennheisers are available even here in Cochin! Creative Ep 630s are easy to source too! And they come at a very economical price.
The OP wants good sound quality, that is why I suggested the sony/sansa etc above the ipod. The sansa clip at a cheaper price than the shuffle comes with a display too. The OP can use the money saved to buy snug in ear phones.

And I reiterate, the Sony s and Creatives come with good sounding and comfortable in ear phones which are worth something on their own unlike the throw away stuff given with the rest!
And I love Drag and drop:p

P.s I use a N91 with sony canal phones, I have also used SE walkman phones before that. Though the bundled headphone and interface are good, sq is poor. Its just muddy bass. But again sq is a very subjective issue and i hope that our debate will serve the original purpose of helping the OP with his choice.

@moshel, @iaudio - No offense meant so please don't get offended guys.

The requirement of the OP is.

Any my recommendation with reasons given...

Now some of the suggestions given are way out (at least for me). Sennheiser and Shure are recommended as is buying from Singapore??? And that too only headphones, what about the MP3 player itself? Sure even I can recommend Focal speakers to everyone who asks for a HTIB in a limited budget, but the only problem is the Focals cost upwards of USD 35,000 (at least the model I am going for) and yeah they are the best ever, but tell me how will this help someone with a budget of INR 25,000 and looking for an all in one solution to play music/movies. It's better if replies/suggestions are given in line to benefit the OP and his/her requirements. Just recommending Sennheiser/Shure headphones as well as buying from Singapore with all the additional costs of shipping etc. thrown in (and that too without the MP3 player does not help the OP in anyway). I will still stick with my assertion/suggestion. For what the OP requires/wants Apple iPod rocks. It's SQ is way better/or on par with other MP3 players in its price range (please don't compare high-end headphones here) and yes it's headphones are a snug fit and deliver great/good/reasonable SQ (this is subjective). I have used a ton of mobiles like Motorola E398, Sony Ericsson K750i and W850i, Nokia N Series, Motorola ROKR E6 and barring the Sony Ericsson all other mobiles come with headphones that cannot be used for hours on end. Sony Ericsson is so so. An Apple iPod I can personally vouch can be used for hours.

Last edited:
Sansa fuze and soundmagic pl 30 earphones should be right . . . Provided someone confirms the build quality of sansa fuze.

@wnrao - i couldnt help but respond to this post when i read your query. Having changed about 4 mp3 players over last 6 years or so in search of better SQ and (later) to take the mp3 player with me while working out / trekking / jogging, I believe i can offer some perspective:

1. First player was iriver 256 mb (bought in 2003) with sennheiser earphones. It ran on a pencil cell, was clunky, single blue line display - but actually very good sound quality. I still have it but dont use it due to the limited space.

2. Second was the iPod video (gifted to me in 2007). I started using it in 2007 mid and within a month was frustrated enough to sell it second hand while i was present in the US. I'm not a confirmed apple basher - but in general I do not endorse apple products (connectivity). Reasons are - tinny sounding music (not as much depth as iriver), forced to use itunes for everything and really not VFM but more of a 'cool' product. It's probably a bit like buying a bose product, IMHO.

3. Third is a creative 2Gb. Its an OK player. I wouldnt rate it as high as iRiver. Again it runs on a AAA battery - i think this can be an advantage if you intend to use the player in your car that doesnt have the usb interface in the car stereo. On long drives, you can simply replace battery rather than worry about charging via usb.

4. My current player that im using for about 2 years now is the Sony S2
sports walkman. It can be seen here http://www.wired.com/images/article/magazine/test2007/pm_sony_s2_walkman_f.jpg. There're a few advantages and some disadvantages:
Adv:

1. Wonderful sound - and that's my first criteria for the mp3 player. :yahoo:

2. Great user friendly shape for jogging, etc. The player comes with an arm band and a ring like mechanism that you can use to move to the next track. It works very while while working out. :clapping:

3. Water resistance - rare feature in electronics but the earphones dont let the sweat damage them. After using the player for about 45 mins EVERY DAY for last 2 years, I can vouch that it works and it's a serious advantage.

4. Loop earphones - I've used them for upto 2 hours on hikes and found them OK. They take some time getting use to. These are great as they dont fall off while running hard.

Here's an excellent review of the esp on features I've never used such as the pedometer:
http://www.siliconpopculture.com/articles/review/sony_s2_sports_walkman_nw_s205f/

Disadv:

1. Sonicstage s'ware: Sony engineers were either demented, or drunk and stoned or probably both while designing the software to load songs. S'ware wont load songs that are not 'registered'. So half of my illbegotten mp3 collection cant really load here ... boohooo. Thankfully, there're open source alteratives such as Voidmp3FM (yay!) :mad:

2. USB only charge / properietary cable - i think this is nullified as most mp3 players (portable ones) rely on same mechanism. On the upside, the charge works very fast and after 2 years, am yet to have any battery problems.

3. Stock earphones are not good for prolonged listening while sitting at a desk etc - you can get better ones though.
I dont think this product is available any longer in the US- but you would do well to check if it sells in India. I bought it at a bargain price of $80 or so (against twice the list price) and it has served its purpose very well.

Last edited:
^sexy looking player :)
have been using sony hd5 earlier. . With sonicstage. . . Version4.0 is ok. . . Never faced the issue you told about.. . Either your version is old or there should be an option to change that
And the indian sony has lesser and pathetic choice than usa. . Its no use trying here

^sexy looking player :)
have been using sony hd5 earlier. . With sonicstage. . . Version4.0 is ok. . . Never faced the issue you told about.. . Either your version is old or there should be an option to change that
And the indian sony has lesser and pathetic choice than usa. . Its no use trying here

I use sonicstage ver 4.3 - when transferring tracks it says 'track is not registered to sonicstage....' or something like this ... maybe ill check if the older version is available for a download.

I use a 2 year old transcend player with Creative EP630 earphones for working out, it easily blows away the latest generation iPod Nano that my wife has. The iPod has a wonderful interface on the device. That's about it.

Go for an apple ipod shuffle 4gb or the old 2gb model, its great for outdoor...........

I use sonicstage ver 4.3 - when transferring tracks it says 'track is not registered to sonicstage....' or something like this ... maybe ill check if the older version is available for a download.

is the message "cannot find files that are not registered to sonicstage". . . .In that case, the music files might be in the default folder of sonicstage my library. Try to import the file from another location.

yes that is the message. But it appears when trying to do a transfer AFTER i have got the files imported from the hard drive into the library folder of Sonicstage.

yes that is the message. But it appears when trying to do a transfer AFTER i have got the files imported from the hard drive into the library folder of Sonicstage.

there is location for sonicstage "my library" in your hard drive. If the music file is in the same location in the hard drive as that of the "my library" of the sonicstage then the error ll come.
if the above lines sound complicated- try this:delete the file from library of sonicstage. Change the location of music file to another drive(for eg if it was c drive then move to d drive). Now add from new location and transfer. Cross fingers and pray it works ;)

Hi, If you are not particular about features why don't you interested in Music Phone ? like SE Walkman series.Motorola Music Edition phones and Samsung phones. They match with the Mp3 players in SQ.

In between What about Microsoft Zune. No one mentioned about this Mp3 Player ? hhmmmmmmmmm.

Hi, If you are not particular about features why don't you interested in Music Phone ? like SE Walkman series.Motorola Music Edition phones and Samsung phones. They match with the Mp3 players in SQ.

In between What about Microsoft Zune. No one mentioned about this Mp3 Player ? hhmmmmmmmmm.

Santhu sir, I beg to differ on that. Though these days music phones have very good sound quality, they are yet to match the dedicated players.

And I would put Sony Ericsson at the end of the list, IF I am looking for sound quality in a Music phone! If it's the best music player interface, then, yes sony ericsson and maybe for their headphones, which though not exceptional, are great compared to what is offered with other phones(again not comparing with sony s own walkmans/creatives zen etc)

I have used music phones from SE, Nokia, Moto and to a smaller extent Samsung. And I have compared it back to back with players like Sony s A series, Creative Zen, Sansa, Cowon d2, the first generation Zune and ofcourse the ever popular and over hyped Ipod and this is my humble opinion and is ofcourse subjective.

For what its worth, my vote goes for the Transcend mp3 player.
Excellent SQ ,lovely FM reception,with 20 presets.The stock earphones are surprisingly good & the inbuilt battery lasts quite a while.Easy to load with songs too.
Do check it out also, while auditioning for mp3 players

For what its worth, my vote goes for the Transcend mp3 player.
Excellent SQ ,lovely FM reception,with 20 presets.The stock earphones are surprisingly good & the inbuilt battery lasts quite a while.Easy to load with songs too.
Do check it out also, while auditioning for mp3 players

You mean the Transcend t sonic 6xx?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back