Suggest budget stereo setup

hauntedhunter

Hi All,

I'm planning to buy to build a stereo setup for my room. I'm a music addict (Classic Rock/Electronic/Hip-hop/Bollywood) who's really tight on budget Please suggest me a setup for under 20-25K INR.

Also few points to help the senior audiophiles answer me :

I love good bass ( drums playing in metallica songs and bass guitar of RHCP ).
Although a music lover,I do watch movies

Please help me.

Thanks in advance

( I've decided on a stereo setup after realizing 5.1 or HTIB isn't what my audiophile ears need )

Hi All,

I love good bass ( drums playing in metallica songs and bass guitar of RHCP )

Buddy,
I don't think you at the given budget would get Good bass,even 25k only for the speaker is not enough, either stretch your budget or be prepared to compromise on the sound which you are going to get out of those entry level products.
Best would be your own judgment :) have many auditions and Try to explore maximum possible in budget and then the decision would be of your own.

cheers

Last edited:
that's a tough budget for a full setup. If you already have a reasonable source (such as a Sony DVD player), then you could for 25k get a Cambridge Audio 340A and Wharfedale DIamond 9.1s......total cost 25k. Not going to be a bass monster though, if you really want bass, then you will have to invest in floorstanders, and your budget will have to stretch to accommodate quality floorstanders.

Thanks for the info. I think as of now by budget is around 20-25K for just 2 speakers + 1 integrated stereo amp. I'll buy an active sub later and add it to the system for the bass part of it.

So please suggest speakers + amp combo ?

Any idea on Norge ? They seem to be quite less expensive.

Regarding CA 340A + Wharfedale 9.1s : Will I be able to connect an active sub to the amp later ( Considering it doesn't have a pre-out )?

Thanks again!

Please help :)

Thanks for the info. I think as of now by budget is around 20-25K for just 2 speakers + 1 integrated stereo amp. I'll buy an active sub later and add it to the system for the bass part of it.

Regarding CA 340A + Wharfedale 9.1s : Will I be able to connect an active sub to the amp later ( Considering it doesn't have a pre-out )?

Thanks again!

Cannot comment on Norge or CA since I have not used them. Wharfedale I can definitely recommend. Regarding being able to connect an active sub later, most AVRs do allow that even the entry level ones so that should not be a problem.

nope, i don't think the 340 can have a sub, because like you said, it lacks a pre-out.

Thanks again!

Need Absolute Help on stereo set Up

Hi Guys, i am planning to invest in a stereo set up 2.1 and trying to work a decent combination for the same.

Typical music which I play is Lounge,new age (Indian sitar,Vocals ,bansuri etc.) just to give you an idea artists like Karunesh, Narada, Niladri kumar Taufeeq etc, I also listen to popular pop and rock

Now I have been keen to acquire bookshelves and seen a couple of brands

1) Energy bookshelves for Rs.13000/-

2) JBL bookshelves (A series) Rs.18000/-

3) Sonodyne Sonus 1601 Rs.11700/-

4) KEF Bookshelves Rs.14500/-

5) Polk Audio bookshelves Rs. 16000/-

6) Wharfdale Diamond 9.1/9.2 series Rs.12000/- to 15000/-(havent heard them though)

when I heard the JBL/Energy/KEF/Polk , I heard them in proper shop settings accoustically designed rooms of respective brands and all of them sound quite similar and thay all played Hotel California and it all sounded similiar (Bass heavy and a lot of stress on the drums),So I am not clear which of these are better

I have also heard the sonus 1601 (Towers) and they cost Rs.11700/- ,My query is that I have read somehwere in this forum that towers are better than bookshelves

a) Kindly help me choose a good set of speakers

Have also read in this forum that for the speakers to perform better you need a good AMP

I have seen the NORGE and liked Mosfet Ref 2000 and 2060 , it fits in my budget as well deliver sound

I stay in Bombay and my room will not more that 10 X 15 (rectangular) ...My budget for all this close to Rs 25000/- to Rs.30000/-

I dont mind increasing it by Rs.5000/-

Kindly help me optimise and buy a decent music system

Thanks in advance

Regards

Neetant

Re: Need Absolute Help on stereo set Up

No audiophile here. . . Though i can give the popular ones in the price band. . . Monitor audio br2(someone confirm whether its in the price band). . Psb alpha b1(14k). . .mercury custom f1(16k). .mordaunt short 902i(11.5k. . . Wharfedale 9.1(11.5k)9.2. . . Auditioning these speakers will give you an answer to your speaker requirement. As for amp cambridge audio, marantz and nad is prefered unless someone has already auditioned the indian amps with the mentioned speakers
Hi Guys, i am planning to invest in a stereo set up 2.1 and trying to work a decent combination for the same.

Typical music which I play is Lounge,new age (Indian sitar,Vocals ,bansuri etc.) just to give you an idea artists like Karunesh, Narada, Niladri kumar Taufeeq etc, I also listen to popular pop and rock

6) Wharfdale Diamond 9.1/9.2 series Rs.12000/- to 15000/-(havent heard them though)

when I heard the JBL/Energy/KEF/Polk , I heard them in proper shop settings accoustically designed rooms of respective brands and all of them sound quite similar and thay all played Hotel California and it all sounded similiar (Bass heavy and a lot of stress on the drums),So I am not clear which of these are better

I have also heard the sonus 1601 (Towers) and they cost Rs.11700/- ,My query is that I have read somehwere in this forum that towers are better than bookshelves

Have also read in this forum that for the speakers to perform better you need a good AMP

I have seen the NORGE and liked Mosfet Ref 2000 and 2060 , it fits in my budget as well deliver sound

I stay in Bombay and my room will not more that 10 X 15 (rectangular) ...My budget for all this close to Rs 25000/- to Rs.30000/-

Thanks in advance

Regards

Neetant

Hi Neetant,
First please set aside JBL out of those choices, and as you have stated above all sounded more or less same to your ears so its better you take your own CDs to the demo room and then try to analyse the tonal difference.

According to me you should consider Wharfedale 9 series what ever the model comes in your budget and forget polk's monitors also,they sounds like party speakers as JBL..you may like the sound of it for sometime but for active and extended listening.
I do not have any idea about the kef and energy entry level bookself.
Since you are in mumbai you do try to have an audition of Tannoy mercury F1 custom for 15k. its a gem at this price though I didn't do any A B comparssion with any of these you mentioned above but somehow I liked the tonality of mercury quite much.
The Norge reference 2000 you certainly wouldn't go wrong with, Its indeed a nice made in india product by a senior audiophile himself (Mr bajaj) I didn't listen to its reference series but i did have norge concerto gold 1000 which was paired with heybrook H4 floorstanders and really rendered its utmost performance till the date i had it, also do consider entry levels from cambridge auzur series 340a or nad.
A serious note..At this price of norge you will get their top notch performer but for foreign makes, you may hardly get even their entry level products.
Again its all about personal taste and liking, better you go for serious audition with a bunch of CDs you are well acquainted with and then decide what seems more delighting to your ears.

Not necessarily, its all about individual choice, There are majority of us who prefers to invest huge amount in Bookselfs rather, So please don' comprehend this statement as mandatory in general.

All the best
Cheers

Thanks in advance

Regards

Neetant

Isn't the Sonodyne Sonus 1601 a floorstander ? Anyone has idea about these ?

Hey neetant,do u have any idea about the price of Sonodyne Sonus 2605?

Thanks

I think its 28k in bombay if I am not wrong?

Re: Need Absolute Help on stereo set Up

I have read somehwere in this forum that towers are better than bookshelves

Purely subjective... I have a friend who tried so many options, but then when he heard Audioengine A5 (cost 20K for a pair) he loved them so much that he got himself two pairs for his HT setup. The music absolutely rocks on them and even movies sound really great.

I think MD 75 is a new listing, I did listen to millenium with 2060 and with gold 1000 too however i liked gold 1000 more comparatively.

Regarding the amps, both performs pretty well with their given watts and power, you can go ahead with either of two,prefer gold 1000 if you need more watts, again 2060 is also a good deal for moderately fair sensitive speakers..

cheers

I think MD 75 is a new listing, I did listen to millenium with 2060 and with gold 1000 too however i liked gold 1000 more comparatively.

Regarding the amps, both performs pretty well with their given watts and power, you can go ahead with either of two,prefer gold 1000 if you need more watts, again 2060 is also a good deal for moderately fair sensitive speakers..

cheers

hi I also wanted to check which sub should shoud i go with for the same

Thanks for all the inputs

Regards

Neetant

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back