Suggest Floorstanders for ONKYO TX-SR608

Here is a trick which works most of the time for sub placement.
Just place the sub at the sweet spot ( the place where you will sit and listen to the music). Now play some music with the sub connected.
Time to take a stroll......Just wander around the room, mostly the corners and notice where the bass feels just right. You found the spot mate!! Place the sub at that spot and enjoy your music.

Hope this helps. I had placed my DIY sub like this during my engineering days. It worked for me. :yahoo:

Hi kittu...........I am not seeing any point in sticking to Onkyo and FS
as
1. your room size is 16*12 ............FS will be overkill
2. Your preference for music is 70%

do consider your selection before making any final call.
When I started my search I had passion towards FS but as my room size is similler to your,so I sattled down to BS and very much happy with them.
you can also audition some good BS in 20-30K range , they will definatly not disapoint you.

prash2k01,

I sure am keeping this in mind but I wanted to checkout the FS options first and really see if that is an overkill . I will be able to come to a conclusion after my auditions .. If I feel thats an overkill I will soon start a new thread for Bookshevles :p Some how I feel bookshelves do not add much bass in output for which I need to add a sub again... That was one reason I was trying out FS and add a center later for voice enhancement (movies).

Thanks for the inputs.
Kittu

prash2k01,
Some how I feel bookshelves do not add much bass in output for which I need to add a sub again...

Thanks for the inputs.
Kittu

Floor standers are always preferable to Book shelves .But a SUB is a must to enhance the quality of lows in the Movies.

Regards

prash2k01,

I sure am keeping this in mind but I wanted to checkout the FS options first and really see if that is an overkill . I will be able to come to a conclusion after my auditions .. If I feel thats an overkill I will soon start a new thread for Bookshevles :p Some how I feel bookshelves do not add much bass in output for which I need to add a sub again... That was one reason I was trying out FS and add a center later for voice enhancement (movies).

Thanks for the inputs.
Kittu

Thanks for consideration.

But do you have any specific reason for selecting Onkyo over Marantz/Denon
Onkyo are not much popular for music.

Thanks for consideration.

But do you have any specific reason for selecting Onkyo over Marantz/Denon
Onkyo are not much popular for music.

Well even thou my interest is 70% music I was looking for an all in one receiver which is balanced on music and movies and same time one of the forum member was selling this new AVR for a good price so I went ahead and bought it from him.

I have heard it in Onkyo showroom bangalore and it sounded pretty decent on music and movies (yet no experience with Sports) ..

- Kittu

Tannoy F1 matches better with Onkyo,even Q-acoustic too.

agree very much with spirovious, had heard one of the tannoy FS (dont remember the model number) this was in the price range of 35/36k and it did sound extremly good

kittu, do have an audition of the tannoy FS (will let u know the model details) it sounded very good with all kinds of music it can be auditioned @ Auidio dynamcs (vijaya nagar) / music ranch (jayanagar) . will get you the contact no: if interested----these are definetly worth it

agree very much with spirovious, had heard one of the tannoy FS (dont remember the model number) this was in the price range of 35/36k and it did sound extremly good

kittu, do have an audition of the tannoy FS (will let u know the model details) it sounded very good with all kinds of music it can be auditioned @ Auidio dynamcs (vijaya nagar) / music ranch (jayanagar) . will get you the contact no: if interested----these are definetly worth it

Please do let me know what series of tannoy and I have the contact number of musicranch they sound very expensive :( .

Infact mridul (babbler) offered the Q-A 1050i for 36k brand new ones. I have to give them a listen too since many of the members said Tannoy and Q-A pair well with Onkyo . I wish Klipsch was lil lower but they are 42 k ....

Thanks for all your inputs and interest in my thread.......

Kittu

Hi Kittu,

Having owned the 608 for a little while and now the 876, I would classify both the Onkyo AVRs to be on the brighter side for music (slightly higher emphasis towards higher frequencies).

I had the 608 paired with Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 for some time as well as the Diamond 10.1. I think the Wharfedales would pair well with the Onkyo and would "mellow down" the brightness of the Onkyos a bit.

For your budget, you can get Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 floorstanders whose MSRP is Rs. 30,000 as per the latest pricelist posted by denom. If you can stretch a bit, you can buy the Diamond 9.6 whose MSRP is 40,000. Diamond 9.6 is a 3 way floorstander and has a separate bass driver hence you can live without a separate subwoofer for sometime. Both these prices are MSRP so you may be able get some discounts in Bangalore. Go through the speakers pricelist thread and you will get an idea of how much members purchased Wharfedales for.

I would recommend that you buy the Diamond 9.6 and 9.CS to have a semi 3.1 (sub job being handled by diamond 9.6) setup that will let you enjoy both movies and music.

Keep in mind that you would need to budget a bit more for cables & interconnects. Since you're looking for only 2.0 setup I suppose you need to budget Rs. 1000 - 1500.

Other forum members can corroborate my view or let us know if they it is otherwise. Also, I do not know if floorstanders are an overkill for your room size - for which other members can help.

Also, as I mentioned in my PM to you about speakers, you will need a good CD player to bring out the best of your AVR & speakers. If not now, you will very soon need to buy a decent one.

Lastly, can you provide the band names of classic rock you listen to?

i have a SR606 and the 9.6, Both are about 6mts old.... you can come over to audition if you like.... (bring your music cd's).

Guys,

Just finished auditioning of few FS and Bookshelves + Sub combo.

From the list you could guess where I have auditioned these :p

Albums played : Metallica (blackablum)
Eagles (Hotel California)
Nirvana
Doors
Geetanjali (telugu)
Vaaranam Aayiram (Tamil)
Veer (Hindi)

Videos : This is it (MJ)
MATRIX RELOADED
Transporter 3

1 ) Klipsch F1 series (Music great , midrange superb output and coming to F2 series they shld be even better)

2 ) Q A- 1010 + Sub

( Not sure if sub added any great value for music or movies except bumming @ times I think this should be thought out only if planning a 5.1 setup otherwise simple bookshelves with center will do well for music & movies(vocal))

3 ) Elac 57

( Great sound but a lil bright and vocals were hard )

4 ) Pure Accoustics

(Complete 5.1 setup a pretty decent one but F1 2 floorstanders can kill the entire setup of PA hands down )

Sorry I am not able to write much technicals but over all in todays audition Klipsch scored top.....

F1 priced @ 29 k and F2 38k (dealer not sure on F2 price and was telling me only complete package need to be ordered) .

Next week audtions will be Jamoc405 , Wharf 9.6 and Tannoys F1 & F4 (FS) :yahoo:

Kittu

hi,

Want to upgrade my system which is as below in my signature with floor standing speakers and retain the existing Klipsch center speaker,room size is 12x10.
1)Any problems in pairing different speakers
2)My budget is 20-25 k and can stretch more but since my room size is small would not want to spend too much on the same.
3)Plan to do this upgrade along with a projector optoma hd20 with a 90" screen in the next 4 months.
Suggestions/ideas are welcome.

hi,

Want to upgrade my system which is as below in my signature with floor standing speakers and retain the existing Klipsch center speaker,room size is 12x10.
1)Any problems in pairing different speakers
2)My budget is 20-25 k and can stretch more but since my room size is small would not want to spend too much on the same.
3)Plan to do this upgrade along with a projector optoma hd20 with a 90" screen in the next 4 months.
Suggestions/ideas are welcome.

:lol: Bro I was worried that my 16X13 is gonna be a over kill with FS ... I think you are good with the decent setup you have there . I like that cabinet :clapping: .

Kittu

kittu:

caught up late on your post. about your setup...

your lcd looks like placed low unless you have a low sitting arrangement. (looks low sitting arrangement from the corner of laptop) why dont you place your lcd on the wall and place the centre where the lcd is now?

since you are on an audition spree .....:yahoo: why dont u try monitor audio BR5 (read somewhere to be 35k) and polk audio tsi400.(27-28k).

kittu:

caught up late on your post. about your setup...

your lcd looks like placed low unless you have a low sitting arrangement. (looks low sitting arrangement from the corner of laptop) why dont you place your lcd on the wall and place the centre where the lcd is now?

since you are on an audition spree .....:yahoo: why dont u try monitor audio BR5 (read somewhere to be 35k) and polk audio tsi400.(27-28k).

TaureanBull,

Yes you are right but I thought of completing the rest of the setup first and then wall mount the TV .

Yes after I am done shopping the speakers I will be placing the center where the TV is at this moment and right and left will be AVR and PS3 .

I read in HFV that BR5 lacks in bass and the mrp is 50k thats way over my budget and also many recomended that do not go for TSI series go for RTI.

Infact Denom recomended to give a shot for Telome BT300s 25k :licklips: will have to give them a listen too...

Some how I found Jamo c405 (discontinued) has more detailing on music compare to other brands in same price range.

Thanks for the inputs :clapping:

Kittu

@Kittu: Agree with you but since i was going for a screen upgrade wanted to have lil powerful sound as well.Guess everything available would def blow up my room, but what about Klipsch RF-10 which are 75 w which can still be paired with my Klipsch Quintet CS(75w).BTW that cabinet is actually a center table and i kinda liked the uneven planks so used it for my setup.Will post the new image with my blu ray player arranged as well.

@Kittu: Agree with you but since i was going for a screen upgrade wanted to have lil powerful sound as well.Guess everything available would def blow up my room, but what about Klipsch RF-10 which are 75 w which can still be paired with my Klipsch Quintet CS(75w).BTW that cabinet is actually a center table and i kinda liked the uneven planks so used it for my setup.Will post the new image with my blu ray player arranged as well.

Screen upgrade to a 42 inch..?

See the Synergy F1 series arround 29k MRP you can still bargain for a better deal . The output quality was quite good. Also if you can carpet the room it will be more nice . But Klipsch FS are quite big the box built size was more than a feet in width and you have to minimum leave 6 - 9 inches from the wall.

Kittu...

Since you are looking more into music along with the HT, what i suggest is to do the audition along with a proper stereo setup so that you can get a speaker that will help you when you plan for a separate stereo amp. So while auditioning the speakers w/ your AVR, try with their stereo amps also.

In my opinion unless you listen in very high volumes, a Floorstander is most preferred compared to BS + sub combo, a sub will not give you a satisfactory SQ for music unless it is a music sub which is very expensive, however for movies a decent sub is enough. So a musical FS with enough low extension, good mid and highs is the best, irrespective of the room size (moderately sized). A speaker which is best in music will be same with movies also.

For positioning the sub, its better you find the location with the scrolling method suggested previously by others. Loading a sub in the corner will enhance the low freqs, but it will not give you a smooth reproduction for all freqs, as there are a lot of chances that some of the freqs will be enhanced or in other words tendency for boominess will be very high.

Last edited:
Since you are looking more into music along with the HT, what i suggest is to do the audition along with a proper stereo setup so that you can get a speaker that will help you when you plan for a separate stereo amp. So while auditioning the speakers w/ your AVR, try with their stereo amps also.

In my opinion unless you listen in very high volumes, a Floorstander is most preferred compared to BS + sub combo, a sub will not give you a satisfactory SQ for music unless it is a music sub which is very expensive, however for movies a decent sub is enough. So try to get a musical FS with enough low extension, good mid and highs is the best, irrespective of the room size (moderately sized). A speaker which is best in music will be same with movies also.

For positioning the sub, its better you find the location with the scrolling method suggested previously by others. Loading a sub in the corner will enhance the low freqs, but it will not give you a smooth reproduction for all freqs, as there are a lot of chances that some of the freqs will be enhanced or in other words tendency for boominess will be very high.

cmsajith,

Thank you! that is why I am still searching for good musical FS. May not buy the sub in near future but will add a center after 2 or 3 months right now my first priority is to get a good pair of floorstanders . The only dropping point in Klipsch is the finish (ply color n design yukkkk) ..

I agree with you on trying with a stereo amp setup will do that in my next set of auditions .

Finding it hard to locate Jamo c405s for audition none of them seem to have them in stock :( .

Kittu.

I think Jamo 405 & Klipsch may not be good for music, please check the reviews and do a proper audition. If you like them while pairing w/ a good stereo amp, buy it. From the reviews, in your price range, Wharfadale 9.5 / 9.6 seems to be good. For movies, set it to FullBand in Speaker settings till you buy a sub and for music use the Pure Audio.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back