Suggest Floorstanders for ONKYO TX-SR608

Kittu

Hello experts,

I am soon getting a Onkyo TX-SR608 (Bought it from the forum). I am planning to buy 2 floorstanding speakers to start with a 2 channel setup.

My living room is my HT room :( 16L X12W . My interest is 70% music and 30% movies.. Taste of music (pretty much everything giving high importance to classic rock) .

Budget for FS is 30 - 35k .

Please suggest me some good floorstanders in that budget also where I can buy from . My preference will be to buy from bangalore but if the price is worth I am open to buy from other places and get them shipped to bangalore.

Thanks in advance
Kittu :rolleyes:

Hi Kittu,

Having owned the 608 for a little while and now the 876, I would classify both the Onkyo AVRs to be on the brighter side for music (slightly higher emphasis towards higher frequencies).

I had the 608 paired with Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 for some time as well as the Diamond 10.1. I think the Wharfedales would pair well with the Onkyo and would "mellow down" the brightness of the Onkyos a bit.

For your budget, you can get Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 floorstanders whose MSRP is Rs. 30,000 as per the latest pricelist posted by denom. If you can stretch a bit, you can buy the Diamond 9.6 whose MSRP is 40,000. Diamond 9.6 is a 3 way floorstander and has a separate bass driver hence you can live without a separate subwoofer for sometime. Both these prices are MSRP so you may be able get some discounts in Bangalore. Go through the speakers pricelist thread and you will get an idea of how much members purchased Wharfedales for.

I would recommend that you buy the Diamond 9.6 and 9.CS to have a semi 3.1 (sub job being handled by diamond 9.6) setup that will let you enjoy both movies and music.

Keep in mind that you would need to budget a bit more for cables & interconnects. Since you're looking for only 2.0 setup I suppose you need to budget Rs. 1000 - 1500.

Other forum members can corroborate my view or let us know if they it is otherwise. Also, I do not know if floorstanders are an overkill for your room size - for which other members can help.

Also, as I mentioned in my PM to you about speakers, you will need a good CD player to bring out the best of your AVR & speakers. If not now, you will very soon need to buy a decent one.

Lastly, can you provide the band names of classic rock you listen to?

Last edited:
Hi Kittu,

Having owned the 608 for a little while and now the 876, I would classify both the Onkyo AVRs to be on the brighter side for music (slightly higher emphasis towards higher frequencies).

I had the 608 paired with Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 for some time as well as the Diamond 10.1. I think the Wharfedales would pair well with the Onkyo and would "mellow down" the brightness of the Onkyos a bit.

For your budget, you can get Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 floorstanders whose MSRP is Rs. 30,000 as per the latest pricelist posted by denom. If you can stretch a bit, you can buy the Diamond 9.6 whose MSRP is 40,000. Diamond 9.6 is a 3 way floorstander and has a separate bass driver hence you can live without a separate subwoofer for sometime. Both these prices are MSRP so you may be able get some discounts in Bangalore. Go through the speakers pricelist thread and you will get an idea of how much members purchased Wharfedales for.

I would recommend that you buy the Diamond 9.6 and 9.CS to have a semi 3.1 (sub job being handled by diamond 9.6) setup that will let you enjoy both movies and music.

Keep in mind that you would need to budget a bit more for cables & interconnects. Since you're looking for only 2.0 setup I suppose you need to budget Rs. 1000 - 1500.

Other forum members can corroborate my view or let us know if they it is otherwise. Also, I do not know if floorstanders are an overkill for your room size - for which other members can help.

Also, as I mentioned in my PM to you about speakers, you will need a good CD player to bring out the best of your AVR & speakers. If not now, you will very soon need to buy a decent one.

Lastly, can you provide the band names of classic rock you listen to?

Thekinge,

Thank you for your suggestions . I think your point of having a semi 3.1 is great but I will start with FS first and add on the CS later when the wallet is thick :) .

Here is a list of music I listen to ... lil long but cant help it.... :rolleyes: actully many more to add but I decided to keep the thread simple ....

The Doors
Van Halen
Nirvana
Pink Floyd
Beatles
Led Zeppelin
AC/DC
Rolling Stones
Iron Maiden
Eagles
And The great metallica :) I know long list but cant help avoiding any..

Thanks,
Kittu:rolleyes:

Thekinge,

Thank you for your suggestions . I think your point of having a semi 3.1 is great but I will start with FS first and add on the CS later when the wallet is thick :) .

In which case Kittu, the Diamond 9.6 will be a good fit for you. If you're lucky and manage to get a discount, it may still fit within your budget. If you need other choices, check the prices of Mission floorstanding speakers in the speakers price list thread. I recollect some models being within 40K. Look for a 3 way floorstander with a separate bass driver.

Here is a list of music I listen to ... lil long but cant help it.... :rolleyes: actully many more to add but I decided to keep the thread simple ....

The Doors
Van Halen
Nirvana
Pink Floyd
Beatles
Led Zeppelin
AC/DC
Rolling Stones
Iron Maiden
Eagles
And The great metallica :) I know long list but cant help avoiding any..

Thanks,
Kittu:rolleyes:

Nice list and not long at all kittu:)

may i suggest bookshelves. at the same price point for a low budget you get better sq. for your room size they will definitely suffice. the ushers are supposed to be good but got no experience with an onkyo

Guys I am not show-casing setup here but just seeking a suggestion ...

Here is a pic where my HT setup is going to be as I mentioned it is living room .. I am confused a lil where to keep the sub ....

Here are few plans ?

1. Wall mounting the TV
2. Move the cabinet lil right and make space for the floorstanders
3. Center speaker leave on center of cabinet
4. On glass top PS3, Center Speaker and AVR
5. Floorstanders on Side

Incase if I chose to go for a 5.1 setup I am planning to mount the bookshelvs to the rear wall as many of you have seen in setup of Coreelement(forum member) ..

My big confusion is where to keep the Subbbbbbbbbb ...

Please throw in some ideas. Is it safe to leave it on the last row of the right shelf or it is a bad idea.....

or wall mount the center speaker above the TV and leave the sub in place of center speaker...

Thanks in advance....

Kittu.

Last edited:
Kittu,

Have you decided on the speakers & sub?

-thekinge

I have decied to pick up the receiver first and take it with me to auditions... Still my eyes are open on Wharf 9.6 or Jamo C405 with centers :rolleyes: . Just wanted to check how well they pair with onkyo and then buy... Shops will give me audition with their own systems which are already preset to sound better so I will wait for the receiver :cool: .

Kittu...

Kittu,

Try the Telome BT-300 Floor Standers, for the taste of your music, they are a good pair that will do justice at a VFM price too....

Kittu

It is generally recommended to place the sub in a corner. You can figure out which is the best corner in your room.

George,

What about placing Sub in the middle corner of the room to the right or left ? Lot of the HT setup recomendations show the sub image in center of the room to the right side or left.

However If I like the output of the FS speakers which I am right now looking for I will only add a center and leave the setup as is.

So far I have 4 brands shortlisted yet to start auditioning ..

1) Jamo C405
2) Wharf 9.6
3) Q Acous 1050i
4) Telome BT 300

Thanks
Kittu

Last edited:
wherever you keep the sub please dont keep on on ANY level of ANY shelf
it must be placed on the floor only

if looking for bookshelves you could team up with some banglore buys and buy that Marantz and monitor audio package
http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/10263-marantz-cd5001-marantz-pm5001-monitor-audio-br2-qed.html
you can keep the speakers and get a sub

even if you count the AMP and speakers to be equally priced
you should be able to manage the speakers for a goodprice

Magma,

I agree but I have this thing :licklips: for FS speakers so I would like give them a listen first before I change my mind to Bookshelves + Sub ..... Looks like every one is gunning for that amp :cool: . And may not be very sure but 14k for a 3 yr old bookshelves ...:sad: with lil more money will get new ones isnt it . I actually thought of taking those ushers and nad amp and gift them to my sis but some one picked up the amp quickly ....

So my quest (auditioning) for FS speakers begin from 20th of this month. Meanwhile I am collecting some best of the choice I wanted to play during auditions.....

:signthankspin:
Kittu.....

you might wanna try auditioning Klipsch Reference RF-52 speakers or maybe Synergy F3 or F2 whichever suits your budget better.
Jamo S718 is also be an option which is well within your budget.

I have personally auditioned the Rf-52 and F2's and they sound great,
Klipsch speakers are known to expose any weak links in the entire chain from recordings to cables, so much so that it'll make good recordings sound awesome but on the downside it will make bad recordings sound worse.

Regards

Hi kittu...........I am not seeing any point in sticking to Onkyo and FS
as
1. your room size is 16*12 ............FS will be overkill
2. Your preference for music is 70%

do consider your selection before making any final call.
When I started my search I had passion towards FS but as my room size is similler to your,so I sattled down to BS and very much happy with them.
you can also audition some good BS in 20-30K range , they will definatly not disapoint you.

Kittu,

Heard the C405's, did not like them as they lack clarity.... plus they have been discontinued now.....

Klipsch Speakers ROCK!!! Heard the F2's & loved them, but cost 42k which I find on the higher side....

you might wanna try auditioning Klipsch Reference RF-52 speakers or maybe Synergy F3 or F2 whichever suits your budget better.
Jamo S718 is also be an option which is well within your budget.

I have personally auditioned the Rf-52 and F2's and they sound great,
Klipsch speakers are known to expose any weak links in the entire chain from recordings to cables, so much so that it'll make good recordings sound awesome but on the downside it will make bad recordings sound worse.

Regards

I 've heard F2s they sounded great but were nothing less than 40k+ in bangalore (onkyo forum value mall) .. :sad: . They had 608 receiver and paired with F2s as well but it crossed my budget so I stepped back a bit.

Regards
Kittu

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back