Suggest me a power cable for my Schiit Aegir power amp.

Nah
The bot actually is very clear in it's response. You just didn't get it. :p

Edit:
I tried the SchiitTalker:

Q: Do I need an after market power cable for the Aegir

A: Ah, the power cable debate! Well, let me tell you, the Aegir comes with a standard power cable that will get the job done just fine. But if you're feeling fancy and want to explore the world of aftermarket power cables, go for it! Just keep in mind that the difference in sound quality may be subtle, and it's all about personal preference. So, if you want to dive into the rabbit hole of power cables, go ahead and have some fun with it! But don't forget, the Aegir will still rock your world with its stock power cable. Schiit on!

Crystal clear answer!

But if you are expecting an answer/recommendation on a brand and model of PC (as I suspect you are) from it or even from a human at Schiit, I think you will be disappointed.
I doubt they will point me to a particular brand. But, I have asked if they have any filters used in the PSU. Let's see how they respond. Also, the chat bot is giving different answers for the same question asked each time.

This was the same in my case when I stumbled upon various queries in case of Genelecs. I intended to write to them, however seeing their response on almost all the forum questions regarding power cable upgrade - they had in summary the same view - That they try to send the best cable with their fairly expensive gear to ensure that recording engineers can just plug and play and not worry about power cables. However do it if you want, but they doubt you will hear any difference, However if you do, well good for you!

I was willing to give it a try to dispel the myth for myself, as hearing is believing, in my case whatever I did - a few types of cables & connectors etc - there was no difference. I changed the cables on the Sub & monitors as they are all self contained separate units. Heard no difference for better or worse.

I however wanted my setup to look a little fancier - for visual pleasure (That is the reason I like to buy most of the fancier looking ICs/speaker cables etc and I AM AWARE OF IT), as in my case I was sure there is no audible difference. So I went ahead and "upgraded" my setup to Furutech looking fakes :) That gave me what I wanted and I hear no difference. So I guess win-win.

The bot actually is very clear in it's response. You just didn't get it. :p

Crystal clear answer!

But if you are expecting an answer/recommendation on a brand and model of PC (as I suspect you are) from it or even from a human at Schiit, I think you will be disappointed.
How to win over someone? just tell them what they want to hear!
I did try chatting with the bot twice , on both occasions , the answer was crystal clear to me. It all depends upon your personal interpretations though.
Any company will sponsor / buy ad space and get glowing 3rd party flowery language reviews with affiliate links. Direct brand suggestions may open floodgates for returns or litigations.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Speaking of Power Cable only, and not of Interconnect or Speaker Wire, I'm very curious to learn what special Properties do these "audiophile", "Boutique" Power Cables have and what do they do which "Improves" the sound of well designed, well made, hi-end Amplifiers and pre-Amps from renowned manufacturers (i.e. Schiit in this context)?

It surprises me when I see the legendary Japanese amps (Luxman, Marantz, Sansui etc) are provided with non-removable, lamp cord type, rather thin power cable with a 2 pin connector!!
The way those amps were constructed in no nonsense built, Surely it can't be mere commercial pressure to skimp on a meter or so of power cable and a plug which sacrifice sound quality as we are discussing here.

Regards

Speaking of Power Cable only, and not of Interconnect or Speaker Wire
I have used power cable as speaker wire - no difference
It surprises me....

What surprises me even more is that all recording studios* use industry standard interconnects, so if the recording's flowery language characteristics ( dark, laidback, refined top end , ounce more subtlety, fast attack, timbre, open, crisp, etc. ) was never captured in the first place itself , how can the same be heard by a mere change of PC? If the change in PC is so much revealing and apparent , then the same logic should also apply to TV power cord also, as any TV has a mix of signals passing thru its circuitry in KHz(Audio), MHz(Cable) or Ghz (Wifi) range with all types of EMI/RFI etc isolation / suppressor circuitry. In such a case, the differences will be apparent even to a naked eye.
Just like we see differences in photos taken with different cameras. We can apply this similar logic(or magic?) to aquaguard's power cable too- then the resulting water from its outlet will have more sparkle, energy, clarity and what not.
Or are the reviewers and consequently the buyers they influence with their flowery language reviews are now able to see the proverbial "Emperor's New Clothes"
* I don't want to divert the topic to OPAMP rollover mods brigade , majority of the recordings have passed thru 100s of humble NE5532/ JRC4558 etc mixer consoles in the recording chains.

Last edited:
I have used power cable as speaker wire - no difference

What surprises me even more is that all recording studios* use industry standard interconnects, so if the recording's flowery language characteristics ( dark, laidback, refined top end , ounce more subtlety, fast attack, timbre, open, crisp, etc. ) was never captured in the first place itself , how can the same be heard by a mere change of PC?
No, these characteristics can still be captured by microphones. There are variety of microphones that does one thing better. Just because the studio monitors doesn’t reproduce it doesn’t mean it isn’t there.
If studio monitors are true to the signal, what is the difference between a cheap $200 studio monitors and something like JBL M2?

No good studio uses USD 200 monitors for mastering. The ones used in final mastering are very expensive. The cheap ones are used for edits, etc.

No good studio uses USD 200 monitors for mastering. The ones used in final mastering are very expensive. The cheap ones are used for edits, etc.
Why? Because cheap and expensive are still studio monitors, right? which are true to the signal? That's where our assumption goes wrong. As the price of studio monitors increases, we get better transients, less tolerance, less bloated bass, more tonally accurate sound etc.
what I'm trying to say is,

What surprises me even more is that all recording studios* use industry standard interconnects, so if the recording's flowery language characteristics ( dark, laidback, refined top end , ounce more subtlety, fast attack, timbre, open, crisp, etc. ) was never captured in the first place itself , how can the same be heard by a mere change of PC?
Just because the studio monitors used for mixing cannot reproduce it doesn't mean the crisp sound, timbre, refined top-end, etc. are not there.
For example, the ribbon microphones are better at capturing better highs and subtleties. If the studio monitor cannot reproduce, it doesn't mean it is not there. There is a chance that a signal can pass through the end of the chain.

You have to understand where the cheap monitors are used. They are not used when recording or mastering. They are used for splicing, editing, copies, rehearsals, etc. A studio has many suites. The good stuff is only in a few. The cheap ones are in suites where decisions regarding quality are not taken. For editing or making copies, even computer monitor speakers are fine.

Just because the studio monitors used for mixing cannot reproduce it doesn't mean the crisp sound, timbre, refined top-end, etc. are not there.
For example, the ribbon microphones are better at capturing better highs and subtleties. If the studio monitor cannot reproduce, it doesn't mean it is not there. There is a chance that a signal can pass through the end of the chain.
In my understanding what Availlyrics is trying to point that in his observation, even without any boutique/audiophile/exotic cables the studios are capable of capturing highest quality of sound.
There's no mention about Studio Monitors' sound reproduction capability or lack thereof whatsoever.

It surprises me when I see the legendary Japanese amps (Luxman, Marantz, Sansui etc) are provided with non-removable, lamp cord type, rather thin power cable with a 2 pin connector!!
Which goes inside amp through mixed copper fuse, unshielded pcb traces and thin transformer primary wire of some impedance.

but...

I dont find it wrong to spend money within a budget on things one like. A proper, neat, well made (and may be aesthetically good looking too) product of a brand which one likes would be good to have in possession of. Just a part of phase an audio enthusiast goes through. After some time only music would matter.
regards.

Last edited:
You have to understand where the cheap monitors are used. They are not used when recording or mastering. They are used for splicing, editing, copies, rehearsals, etc. A studio has many suites. The good stuff is only in a few. The cheap ones are in suites where decisions regarding quality are not taken. For editing or making copies, even computer monitor speakers are fine.
I know, prem. I used to be an audio engineer. I was using it as an example just to state that $200 cannot be a match to expensive studio monitors.

As an audio engineer you should be telling us what to buy :)
Hahaha. I have never used fancy usb cable or any power cable before. Just neutrik connectors and belden cables. If one is spending on fancy interconnects/ patch cables you can only build 1/4 of the studio as there will be a lot of cables running around those cables cost a bomb.

NeutriK and Belden is honestly great. They are pretty true to what is being played. Audiophile cables impress you initially but over a period of time you realise they add a certain homogeneity to the sound.

All we (@mbhangui ,@availlyrics and I) were trying to say was the power system is already very dirty . The voltage at the socket that drives the current into the equipment is distorted with harmonics, spikes etc. and sends in the same dirty current and a meter of exotic cable cannot do anything to eliminate them. Filter it like an Aquagaurd can do to your water with proper EMI / RFI filters or install proper isolation transformers and enjoy the audio.

Hahaha. I have never used fancy usb cable or any power cable before. Just neutrik connectors and belden cables. If one is spending on fancy interconnects/ patch cables you can only build 1/4 of the studio as there will be a lot of cables running around those cables cost a bomb.
BTW have you watched ASR video on power cord that I posted? He has tested DACs , fancy USB cables, power cables, speakers etc on his channel. Since you are an audio eng., you will find easier to understand his analysis.
Guess what these microphones are connected to! :p
Probably to a device powered by an industry standard power cord worth about 10-20$

I have basic measurement instruments from screw gauge to oscilloscope , I don't just "believe" in them, but I "read" them. Whatever wires I measure or waveform patterns I see are just figures. If I feel something is wrong, I just change the testing procedure or the measuring equipment. That's both objective and scientific.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back