Suggest Speakers for Marantz SR6012

jigarpatel

Current System
HT: Yamaha RX-v375 + Wharfedale MS-100 ( Now with Parents )

Stereo: NAD D3020 + Wharfedale Diamond 225 ( In Bedroom )

New System HT:
AVR: Marantz SR6012 ( Not Yet Purchased )

Speaker: Wharfedale Diamond 225 + 220C + 10.DFS + SubW ( Please Suggest )

OR

Suggest Speaker Based on following requirement
  1. This will be 5.1 setup, It's more than enough for me.
  2. Total budget for 5.1 speaker is 1.2L.
  3. I think Wharfedale 225 is very big for my living room.
  4. I can go with complete new set of speakers
  5. Size of speaker should be suitable for leaving room
  6. Would love to go for wooden color finish, instead of all black.
  7. I would be able to place front left, right and center from away from back wall around 8" inch only.
  8. I will be building HT over the period of one year.
  9. First AVR + front left + front right
  10. then Center, sub-woofer and then surround left and right

Also I am open for AVR options, please suggest based on following requirement.
  1. I only want to buildup 5.1 setup
  2. Total budget for AVR is 1.3L.
  3. Dolby atoms and DTS:X is not priority
  4. I want AVR to provide enough juice to front speakers.
  5. I can go with sperarate pre/pro way
  6. Pre-outs for 5.1 channel is must
  7. I would prefer avr good in music also.
  8. My preferred brand is Yamaha and Marantz

For information on room size and speaker placement, please checked attached image.

Attachments

• Floor Plan.jpg
    Floor Plan.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 168
Hi Jigar....
Good morning :)

Regarding the AVR, my vote goes for the Marantz SR6012 whole heartedly. Iam using the previous model 6011 in my room of exactly the same diemnsions 11x17 ft and Iam extremely happy with it. The Marantz is very musical, and audessey xt32 nails the home theater sound as well. Could'nt be happier with the AVR.

Coming to the speakers, I would like to start with my own experiences :

1) Before someone comes along suggesting floorstanders, let me get this out of the way first. With 8" distance from rear wall, any floor stander will lead to bass boom. So, bookshelves or staellites are the right way forward.

2) Since you are sitting with your back close to the rear wall, the bass energy will pile on the wall behind you, and lead to certain bass frequencies being estremely loud, this will distort the sound, and at high volumes will over pressurize the ear drums and lead to discomfort.

3) To avoid the problems as mentioned in point no-2, I have resorted to sealed satellites and sub combination. I have crossed over my sub at a high 100 Hz and placed it under my sofa, so that the bass reflects out into the room. Iam very happy with this arrangement.

4) Iam using the Qacoustics Q7000i system. Which is very compact and stylish. Goes un noticed in my room completely. With their small foot print I have a 5.2.4 atmos setup in my small living room. ( Room is under construction in my new house as I write this ).

5) These might be small speakers but are excellent with both movies and music. I have tried larger floorstanders in my same room, the Qacoustics concept 40's and Audiopro floor standers with large 8" built in woofers. But both couldn't touch the cohesive sound stage produced by the 5 identical Q7000LRi speakers.

6) So, my advise would be solidly towards a satellite package. And which ever you choose, the Marantz will drive them easily and make them sing.

7) The HT packages I would look at will be Wharfdale DX-1 SE fo 49.3 K on hifi-mart or Tannoy HTS 101 XP for 67.9 K on amazon India or Qacoustics Q7000i for 1.06L from jamsticks.com

8) All the 3 above recommended packages have got 5 stars on whathifi. But I would strongly recommend the Q7000i if you can stretch that far once, they pair perfectly with the Marantz, otherwise it would be the Tannoy HTS 101.

And may I suggest that if you are doing up a new house, it might be worthwhile to rig up 4 speaker cables inside the false ceiling for future expansion to a atmos setup if you so wish.

All the best....let us know how you get along.... :)

Current System

Stereo: NAD D3020 + Wharfedale Diamond 225 ( In Bedroom )

New System HT:
AVR: Marantz SR6012 ( Not Yet Purchased )

Speaker: Wharfedale Diamond 225 + 220C + 10.DFS + SubW ( Please Suggest )

OR

Suggest Speaker Based on following requirement
  1. This will be 5.1 setup, It's more than enough for me.
  2. Total budget for 5.1 speaker is 1.2L.
  3. I think Wharfedale 225 is very big for my living room.
  4. I can go with complete new set of speakers
  5. Size of speaker should be suitable for leaving room
  6. Would love to go for wooden color finish, instead of all black.
  7. I would be able to place front left, right and center from away from back wall around 8" inch only.
  8. I will be building HT over the period of one year.
  9. First AVR + front left + front right
  10. then Center, sub-woofer and then surround left and right

Also I am open for AVR options, please suggest based on following requirement.
  1. I only want to buildup 5.1 setup
  2. Total budget for AVR is 1.3L.
  3. Dolby atoms and DTS:X is not priority
  4. I want AVR to provide enough juice to front speakers.
  5. I can go with sperarate pre/pro way
  6. Pre-outs for 5.1 channel is must
  7. I would prefer avr good in music also.
  8. My preferred brand is Yamaha and Marantz

For information on room size and speaker placement, please checked attached image.

With the Budget and space challenges....suggest you look at Polk RTiA series of speakers and look at BIC America PL 200 or F12 subwoofers....

Marantz is a good AVR....Yamaha also has some options....Profx sells Yamaha...so you can audition the RTi A speakers on a Yamaha....The Marantz experience will be much much better

Polk RtiA series....available at Profx... profx.com

Last edited:

The proposed set-up image looks narrow..

In the attached image, if you could swap the Dinning with Sofa, TV unit with Dinning, you would get a more spacious 17 x 13 room to build your 7.1 non-Atmos set-up..

7) The HT packages I would look at will be Wharfdale DX-1 SE fo 49.3 K on hifi-mart or Tannoy HTS 101 XP for 67.9 K on amazon India or Qacoustics Q7000i for 1.06L from jamsticks.com

And may I suggest that if you are doing up a new house, it might be worthwhile to rig up 4 speaker cables inside the false ceiling for future expansion to a atmos setup if you so wish.

Thanks, I already had wharfedale MS-100 HCP speaker and also wharfedale Diamond 225 speaker,
I have listing to both speaker on my Yamaha AVR and I have decided to go for building 5.1 setup then complete package.

This house is not new, it's already fully furnished.

With the Budget and space challenges....suggest you look at Polk RTiA series of speakers and look at BIC America PL 200 or F12 subwoofers....

Marantz is a good AVR....Yamaha also has some options....Profx sells Yamaha...so you can audition the RTi A speakers on a Yamaha....The Marantz experience will be much much better

Polk RtiA series....available at Profx... profx.com

Thanks, I will check Polk RTiA.

However my thinking is if Marantz SR-6012 + Wharfedale Diamond 225 provide same stereo experience as
NAD D3020 + Wharfedale Diamond 225 then will do for Wharfedale speakers.

The proposed set-up image looks narrow..

In the attached image, if you could swap the Dinning with Sofa, TV unit with Dinning, you would get a more spacious 17 x 13 room to build your 7.1 non-Atmos set-up..

Thanks for your input, however house is already furnished and can't change.

@ jigarpatel

The experience is totally different with Polks RtiA series...with the SR6012..its a different ballgame...

You add a BIC America sub.....you will be truly satisfied.

You can refer to the:

Marantz Owners Thread
BIC America Owners Thread

For more details and specific queries if any....

After going through various forums and suggestions
I have decided following system.

AVR: Marantz SR-6012
Front Left and Right: Wharfedale Diamond 225
Center: Wharfedale Diamond 220c
Surround: Wharfedale DIAMOND 10.DFS

Cable:
Front Left, Right and Center: DAC 16 AWG
Surround: DAC 14 AWG

Thank You all for your suggestion.

However I am still open for suggestions :eek:hyeah:

After going through various forums and suggestions
I have decided following system.

AVR: Marantz SR-6012
Front Left and Right: Wharfedale Diamond 225
Center: Wharfedale Diamond 220c
Surround: Wharfedale DIAMOND 10.DFS

Cable:
Front Left, Right and Center: DAC 16 AWG
Surround: DAC 14 AWG

Thank You all for your suggestion.

However I am still open for suggestions :eek:hyeah:

If you have already decided on a set brand and models then there is no more room for suggestion as you have made up your mind based on your budget, expectation, system appearance and its performance.....we cannot influence that....we have however given certain pointers to some brands which work well...ofcourse you need to audition and decide for yourself.....

If audition is not possible then rely on some YouTube videos, read reviews on owner threads of this website HFV and also other reviews available over google..

Current System

[*]This will be 5.1 setup, It's more than enough for me.
[*]Total budget for 5.1 speaker is 1.2L.
[*]I only want to buildup 5.1 setup
[*]Total budget for AVR is 1.3L.
[*]Dolby atoms and DTS:X is not priority

If your parents would be fine with 2 channel, then you can consider reusing the Yamaha RX V 375 as you are anyways not looking beyond 5.1..

Get an inexpensive chinese 2 channel amps like SMSL Q5 Pro and reuse the Wharfedale MS100 as 2.1..

[*]I want AVR to provide enough juice to front speakers.
[*]I can go with sperarate pre/pro way
[*]Pre-outs for 5.1 channel is must

Look at speakers with higher sensitive speakers like Klipsch, so that you don't need much power from AVR..

If you were to re-use the Yamaha AVR, you now have a sizeable budget of 2.5 Lacs for speakers..Something like Klipsch RP series & a subwoofer should be with in your budget..

If your parents would be fine with 2 channel, then you can consider reusing the Yamaha RX V 375 as you are anyways not looking beyond 5.1..

Get an inexpensive chinese 2 channel amps like SMSL Q5 Pro and reuse the Wharfedale MS100 as 2.1..

Look at speakers with higher sensitive speakers like Klipsch, so that you don't need much power from AVR..

If you were to re-use the Yamaha AVR, you now have a sizeable budget of 2.5 Lacs for speakers..Something like Klipsch RP series & a subwoofer should be with in your budget..

Parents are going to use 5.1, so I can not re-use Yamaha AVR.

Since in 5.1 setup front speakers matters most and I already have wharfedale 225 so I want to use those.

I am going to look into polk RTia series.

Since I am fine with building HT over period of the time, Initially I can buy 2.1 then add center and surround.

Klipsch RP series would be out of my budget.

Last edited:
@elangoas

How about following
Front Left and Right : Wharfedale 225
Center: Klipsch RP 250c
Surround: Klipsch RP 240s
Sub: Klipsch R-110SW

Latter when have budget upgrade Front Left and Right with Klipsch RP 150M.

@elangoas

How about following
Front Left and Right : Wharfedale 225
Center: Klipsch RP 250c
Surround: Klipsch RP 240s
Sub: Klipsch R-110SW

Latter when have budget upgrade Front Left and Right with Klipsch RP 150M.

It is best if the center & fronts are from the same brand/same series..But since you have a later plan to change front's to Klipsch, then it is a good idea..

Also for the AVR, Marantz SR 6012 would cost you significantly high ( 1.2 Lacs) as it is 9.2 AVR capable of 11.2.. Since you are not looking at more than 5.1, you may also consider other lower models.. Denon x 1300/ 1400 (7.1 AVR) should cost abt 50K.. Pioneer VSX 932 (7.2) for 50K..

It is best if the center & fronts are from the same brand/same series..But since you have a later plan to change front's to Klipsch, then it is a good idea..

Also for the AVR, Marantz SR 6012 would cost you significantly high ( 1.2 Lacs) as it is 9.2 AVR capable of 11.2.. Since you are not looking at more than 5.1, you may also consider other lower models.. Denon x 1300/ 1400 (7.1 AVR) should cost abt 50K.. Pioneer VSX 932 (7.2) for 50K..

Since I already have NAD D3020 stereo amplifier, I want to buy AVR which will provide similar music experience as stereo amplifier.

I read here, DENON more towards movie and not good at music.

And Marantz will be good for music also, hence selected Marantz.

Other option is buy AVR with front pre-out and two channel power amp.
Above combo will cost more than marantz SR-6012.

Currently stereo system (wharfedale 225 + NAD D3020) in my bed room.
In future I can use marantz zone 2 for my bed room also.

@elangoas

I can go for Denon x 1300 + Wharfedale DX-1SE

Wharfedale DX-1SE is living room friendly.

what's your opinion on above combination?

I read here, DENON more towards movie and not good at music.

And Marantz will be good for music also, hence selected Marantz.

This can be real tricky..I have used few/heard some brands of AVR and would say that Marantz is not significantly better than the rest for stereo.. Others are equally good at it..It is more of a preference..

Other option is buy AVR with front pre-out and two channel power amp.Above combo will cost more than marantz SR-6012.

Currently stereo system (wharfedale 225 + NAD D3020) in my bed room.
In future I can use marantz zone 2 for my bed room also.

A midrange AVR like 6012, when used in stereo, would be capable of 100 ~ 130w of power in 2 channel mode, which is more than enough..

@elangoas

I can go for Denon x 1300 + Wharfedale DX-1SE

Wharfedale DX-1SE is living room friendly.

If you go for Wharfedale DX-1SE package with 1300, you can make 7.1 Dolby Atmos system..

Since you have good budget, you can look at more options..

Congrats....

Hope it works well for music as these are the entry level models of denon...the higher models work better.....with experience...i think marantz works much better....thats my experience...

Anyways i am sure u would have auditoned and made the purchasee...its all on personal preferences...

Congrats....

Hope it works well for music as these are the entry level models of denon...the higher models work better.....with experience...i think marantz works much better....thats my experience...

Anyways i am sure u would have auditoned and made the purchasee...its all on personal preferences...

For time being I have connected wharfedale diamond 225, for music it's lacking in clarity also sound stage is narrow.

Above comment is in comparison to NAD D3020 + wharfedale diamond 225.

Congrats....

Yes, i have marantz PM7005 paired with boston a360 for stereo setup ,the combination produces absolutely amazing sound quality, very rich and powerful sound ..

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back