Suggest speakers for My PS3(HDMI) --> 5.1

Naveen_Reloaded

Hi all..

i am a newbie here ..

i have a ps3 and 40" LCD Tv

i want to have a good 5.1 speakers..

PS3 has got HDMI output and i want a HDMI compatible speakers so that quality doesnt get compromised ( correct me if i am wrong )

Coaxial output is also there in ps3..

wht is the best way to have a good 5.1 for my ps3 ?

another thing i have to say is i have a old aiwa Stereo system (hi-fi) so i dont to waste it also.. so s there a way to make it the default oupput from my TV and the new 5.1 to my ps3 ?

Naveen,

Welcome to HFV and we will be happy to help you. However, please go thru as many threads as possible in Speakers, Amplifiers/Receivers section to get some basic understanding. This will help you in asking specific questions which in turn will help us to help you better. Do some homework buddy!

For starters:
a) You need an AVR along with speakers to be able to enjoy 5.1/7.1 sound. Speakers alone will not cut the ice here.
b) You can connect the audio-out of your TV and the RCA-audio-out from your PS/3 to line-in of your AIWA and enjoy it till you get to the bottom of the AVR+5.1 thingy...

Visit one of the retailers (Croma/Reliance Digital etc.) and check out AVR and speaker packages. If you find a helpful salesman, ask him to explain how the audio passes from DVDP to AVR and then the speakers. Seeing might be better than just reading...

What is your budget and what are your preferences - music/movies/ps3?

thnks a lot skumar.
Naveen,

Welcome to HFV and we will be happy to help you. However, please go thru as many threads as possible in Speakers, Amplifiers/Receivers section to get some basic understanding. This will help you in asking specific questions which in turn will help us to help you better. Do some homework buddy!

For starters:
a) You need an AVR along with speakers to be able to enjoy 5.1/7.1 sound. Speakers alone will not cut the ice here.
b) You can connect the audio-out of your TV and the RCA-audio-out from your PS/3 to line-in of your AIWA and enjoy it till you get to the bottom of the AVR+5.1 thingy...

Visit one of the retailers (Croma/Reliance Digital etc.) and check out AVR and speaker packages. If you find a helpful salesman, ask him to explain how the audio passes from DVDP to AVR and then the speakers. Seeing might be better than just reading...

What is your budget and what are your preferences - music/movies/ps3?
will surely go thru the threads.

actually that is wht i have done.. since i had some issue with controlling the volume from TV to hi-Fi system , i connected the hi-fi thru headphone jack and have taken the hdmi from the ps3 and connected to my LCD TV.

this way all the audio are passing thru the hi-fi.

but the quality is not that much.

i dont know where to start. can u advice me on some threads to start with.

anyway can u suggest me some AVR with good 5.1 speakers which costs around 25-30K ?

i prev had an idea of goiong for logitech Z5500 but many said its not worth for music and movie and more over it didnt have a HDMI input.

suggest me please ..

againthnks for replying.

Based on your budget, go for a HTIB (home theatre in a box) which comes with a basic AVR and a basic set of 5.1 or 7.1 speakers. Be aware, this will be an entry level setup in the HT world, but will definitely sound many times better than your current setup.

You can always upgrade your speakers (say, the front right and left) with better ones later and may be the surrounds too, but you will be stuck with the AVR. You need to up your budget, if you want to start of with individual components.

You can connect PS/3-video to LCD via HDMI and connect PS/3-audio via coaxial to the AVR and enjoy the DD/DTS 5.1 tracks on DVDs.

Logitech or any other computer speakers are an option, but you may have to sacrifice original 5.1 tracks and listen to 2.0 which is converted into 5.1 by the speaker set. (Edit: Some of these speaker sets have coaxial/optical inputs and can decode DD/DTS 5.1 tracks, refer Hemant's post below)

If you want to go with AVR + 5.1/7.1 speakers, there are HTIB sets from Onkyo, Yamaha and HK+JBL in your budget. Otherwise, audition AudioEngine, Logitech etc. AudioEngine is highly recommended around here.

Last edited:
You can connect PS/3-video to LCD via HDMI and connect PS/3-audio via coaxial to the AVR and enjoy the DD/DTS 5.1 tracks on DVDs.

Logitech or any other computer speakers are an option, but you may have to sacrifice original 5.1 tracks and listen to 2.0 which is converted into 5.1 by the speaker set.

Logitec 5500 has digital inputs and can decode DTS & DD - and thre may be other speaker sets which can do this..

Based on your budget, go for a HTIB (home theatre in a box) which comes with a basic AVR and a basic set of 5.1 or 7.1 speakers. Be aware, this will be an entry level setup in the HT world, but will definitely sound many times better than your current setup.

You can always upgrade your speakers (say, the front right and left) with better ones later and may be the surrounds too, but you will be stuck with the AVR. You need to up your budget, if you want to start of with individual components.

Logitech or any other computer speakers are an option, but you may have to sacrifice original 5.1 tracks and listen to 2.0 which is converted into 5.1 by the speaker set. (Edit: Some of these speaker sets have coaxial/optical inputs and can decode DD/DTS 5.1 tracks, refer Hemant's post below)

If you want to go with AVR + 5.1/7.1 speakers, there are HTIB sets from Onkyo, Yamaha and HK+JBL in your budget. Otherwise, audition AudioEngine, Logitech etc. AudioEngine is highly recommended around here.

thnks u very much for the reply.

actually i am the one who decides wht to get in my family... i mean regarding the electronic things.. i am always sure before buying things.

thats why i came here.
yes u are right wht ever 5.1 for me at present will be great .. taking that i have a 2 speaker hi-fi system... :)

but one thing i want to be sure. can u recommend a AVR which is future proof.. and also there is a wide concept that speakers last many many years than other components and that seems to be true with my current 5+ years hi-fi speakerrs.

also i get now and then bluray movies , so i dont want to miss out anything ..i mean the quality.
the one i am going to buy will last atleast 5 + years before i change them .. so please recommend something a little future proof too...

shall i go for 7.1 or 5.1 ? many say that not many movies come with 7.1 encoding and many are basically 5.1

and does a good avr make a difference ? sugegst me good one.

i saw many HT setups from variuos site .. they always have a DVD player included ... can i get the HT setup without the DVD player ? and should i go for wired or wireless .. i heard that wireless are not that good.

last thing . is coaxial same or below than HDMI in carrying the data.. will there be a quality loss while connecting via a coaxial rather than hdmi.

as u said i want a perfect 5.1 expirience not a 5.1 downgraded to 2 channel .. as u have mentioned.

sorry for a long lengthy queries. anyway thanks in advance for ur reply.

Naveen,the PS3 is natively built with 7.1 channel processing and can easily decode 7.1 audio when you play bluray movies or any HD movies.For this you need to connect the PS3 to the AVR using HDMI cable since the audio formats are lossless and need lot of bandwidth to transfer gigs and gigs of audio. When it comes to the conventional 5.1 setup and movie viewing,you can also opt the optical out from the PS3 and connect it to the AVR,the PS3 does not have a coaxial out but only a optical out, but both of em are just the same when it comes to practical usage.
For the budget you have put across,i am afraid you can only go for a HTIB,look for the ones from Onkyo,HK/JBL package,Yamaha and so.Do visit showrooms like reliance digital,croma,e-zone and audition a few brands.
I would recommend you go for a 7.1 HTIB with HDMI if you slightly strech your budget and this would at least do justice to your PS3 and the HD experience.
Vj

but one thing i want to be sure. can u recommend a AVR which is future proof.. and also there is a wide concept that speakers last many many years than other components and that seems to be true with my current 5+ years hi-fi speakerrs.
If you want to go the separates route (AVR + Speakers), go for a AVR with HDMI input and HD-audio decoding (both DD-HD and DTS-HD) and it should pretty much serve you for the next many years, at least till Blue-Ray is alive.
Yes, speakers last longer and majority of your budget should be spent on them.

also i get now and then bluray movies , so i dont want to miss out anything ..i mean the quality.
the one i am going to buy will last atleast 5 + years before i change them .. so please recommend something a little future proof too...
Answered above.

shall i go for 7.1 or 5.1 ? many say that not many movies come with 7.1 encoding and many are basically 5.1
Given your budget constraints, get 2.0 to start with. Get good quality book-shelves of floor-stander pair and slowly build the rest 3.1 or 5.1 as and when you could afford. This will be better than going for an HTIB, but you need patience, ability to withstand remarks from near and dear :lol: etc. etc.

Obviously, but the difference is not proportionate to the money you spend after a certain level.

i saw many HT setups from variuos site .. they always have a DVD player included ... can i get the HT setup without the DVD player ? and should i go for wired or wireless .. i heard that wireless are not that good.
Separates should be purchased on a component basis only. Even if you are going for HTIB, get one without a DVDP. I can't comment on wireless speakers, they may be out of your budget anyways.

last thing . is coaxial same or below than HDMI in carrying the data.. will there be a quality loss while connecting via a coaxial rather than hdmi.
I will let others comment on this.

Naveen,the PS3 is natively built with 7.1 channel processing and can easily decode 7.1 audio when you play bluray movies or any HD movies.For this you need to connect the PS3 to the AVR using HDMI cable since the audio formats are lossless and need lot of bandwidth to transfer gigs and gigs of audio. When it comes to the conventional 5.1 setup and movie viewing,you can also opt the optical out from the PS3 and connect it to the AVR,the PS3 does not have a coaxial out but only a optical out, but both of em are just the same when it comes to practical usage.
For the budget you have put across,i am afraid you can only go for a HTIB,look for the ones from Onkyo,HK/JBL package,Yamaha and so.Do visit showrooms like reliance digital,croma,e-zone and audition a few brands.
I would recommend you go for a 7.1 HTIB with HDMI if you slightly strech your budget and this would at least do justice to your PS3 and the HD experience.
Vj

yup .. i was wrong. it has optical output.... my bad!

will surely consider 7.1

i went to onkyo , yamaha and audioengine website. either they havce vast variety or only one ( yamaha india )

can u guys suggest one which is good for my price tag.. this way it would be easy ... u guys know more than me .. and also know which one is good at wht price

If you want to go the separates route (AVR + Speakers), go for a AVR with HDMI input and HD-audio decoding (both DD-HD and DTS-HD) and it should pretty much serve you for the next many years, at least till Blue-Ray is alive.
Yes, speakers last longer and majority of your budget should be spent on them.

Answered above.

Given your budget constraints, get 2.0 to start with. Get good quality book-shelves of floor-stander pair and slowly build the rest 3.1 or 5.1 as and when you could afford. This will be better than going for an HTIB, but you need patience, ability to withstand remarks from near and dear :lol: etc. etc.

Obviously, but the difference is not proportionate to the money you spend after a certain level.

Separates should be purchased on a component basis only. Even if you are going for HTIB, get one without a DVDP. I can't comment on wireless speakers, they may be out of your budget anyways.

last thing . is coaxial same or below than HDMI in carrying the data.. will there be a quality loss while connecting ia a coaxial rather than hdmi.
I will let others comment on this.

thanks again sk for replying quick

as i said i cant get a speaker again .. so its like a one time shot for the rest of the 5+ years. so i will have to get a 5.1 or 7.1 ... no offence bro..

can u suggest a AVR with these features .. something u would recommend and something that fits into my budget.

and also are sony HTIB good.. i heard that they dont provide good sound ( volume , quality )

and wht speakers are good ? say if i want to buy a seprate 5.1 ?

i went to audioengine site they have only bookself and 2.0 speakerrs...

please give me some suggestion guys..

and one more thing.. this is silly but i usually dream of it ... can i have a speaker which gives the unique bass which we usually feel in theatres ( satyam chennai , INOX ) ? u know those bass effect are very different. does a good 5.1 give that effect when i play say dark knight in my home ? ( i know it very silly ..... but this is wht all boys dream of... :eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah: )

Last edited:
Klipsch is a good choice,but i am afraid that it wouldn't fit under your budget and will only work out when you choose a stand alone latest AVR and go for a nice speaker package from companies like klipsch,wharfedale,polk etc. But this way my friend you would end up spending at least 70 to 80k.
If you really want future proof,then you would wanna take a slight risk of streching your budget. This way you will be able to enjoy the latest gen audio which you would get through your current line up of latest AVR which can process HD audios,which are future proof. Welcome to HD era my friend! :).
Or you need to go for a basic setup now and upgrade in the near future. In this option,consider going for a good AVR and a stereo speaker setup and slowly start expanding your setup.
Hope this helps.
Vj

Klipsch is a good choice,but i am afraid that it wouldn't fit under your budget and will only work out when you choose a stand alone latest AVR and go for a nice speaker package from companies like klipsch,wharfedale,polk etc. But this way my friend you would end up spending at least 70 to 80k.
If you really want future proof,then you would wanna take a slight risk of streching your budget. This way you will be able to enjoy the latest gen audio which you would get through your current line up of latest AVR which can process HD audios,which are future proof. Welcome to HD era my friend! :).
Or you need to go for a basic setup now and upgrade in the near future. In this option,consider going for a good AVR and a stereo speaker setup and slowly start expanding your setup.
Hope this helps.
Vj

wht do they cost.. i checked just one product. a simple 2.1 ipod dock costs a big 14 K .... :eek::eek::eek: wht will a B-2 from then cost ?

VJ .. i usually am good with computers and many ask help from me to get a good system and i recommend them future proof one.. for eg a GFX 9 series would be good for say next 1-2 years.. why i said coz .. we know the trend and how it will change... i have NO idea in speaker dept. wht is current trend and wht is the future ? u said about HD. i have a everlatest profile BLURAY - PS3 and a 40" LCD. wht else do i need to have a good decent 5.1 which will last say next 5 years.

as i said bro i cant buy a speaker or ask a speaker for 2-3 years . i dont want to get stuck ( in case my mom doesnt allow me to get one ) with stereo speaker. so i have to go for 5.1 or 7.1 i think i better stay with 5.1 so that i can focus more on a AVR + 5.1 speaker.

can u suggest a HTIB which can give me a good sound quality and come within my price.

usually in PC we havea budget for a decent system which will last for next 2-3 years. if thats so whts the decent system as of u at present ?

wht do u see as a must have feature in a AVR at present to play a bluray without comprimising on 5.1 channel.?

does a 5.1 also have a "must have feature " ?

please help me.

since there are very limiter products in india to go for and u guys know which one is best ..

Naveen,i totally understand ur requirements here.To enjoy the ultimate expericence,your PS3 and the LCD wont do,you also need a proper sound setup which you would only get if you buy an AVR and good speakers.Audio technology is just like your latest comps and keeps changing time to time and you see the latest lineup of products which come to the market,a few vanish and few stand and make a mark for themselves,just like ur 8800 GT did,it made a market for it self in India too!. So there is no point in looking at future proof speakers,this does not makes sense since,sound will essentially remain the same, provided you now go for a better speaker package. You would need future proof only when it comes to the AVRs and yes they are a bit expensive,especially the ones,which can process the latest audio formats. So getting the so called future proof setup is going to cost you ,more than what you have in ur mind.
If you can sacrifice the need for the HD audio for now,you can go for some entry level HTIB from onkyo,yamaha,HK and so.Again remember,the speakers are not the concern here to enjoy HD/non-HD audios,its only the latest AVRs which is going to cost.Yes good speakers also do cost you more. This should give you a good enough experience.So its up to you to take a call on this. Or see if you can get hold of good AVRs/speakers for good EMIs,as you nowadays get 0% int EMI,if you are willing to take this route.
So,i hope you would take a sensible decision on this.

Naveen,i totally understand ur requirements here.To enjoy the ultimate expericence,your PS3 and the LCD wont do,you also need a proper sound setup which you would only get if you buy an AVR and good speakers.Audio technology is just like your latest comps and keeps changing time to time and you see the latest lineup of products which come to the market,a few vanish and few stand and make a mark for themselves,just like ur 8800 GT did,it made a market for it self in India too!. So there is no point in looking at future proof speakers,this does not makes sense since,sound will essentially remain the same, provided you now go for a better speaker package. You would need future proof only when it comes to the AVRs and yes they are a bit expensive,especially the ones,which can process the latest audio formats. So getting the so called future proof setup is going to cost you ,more than what you have in ur mind.
If you can sacrifice the need for the HD audio for now,you can go for some entry level HTIB from onkyo,yamaha,HK and so.Again remember,the speakers are not the concern here to enjoy HD/non-HD audios,its only the latest AVRs which is going to cost.Yes good speakers also do cost you more. This should give you a good enough experience.So its up to you to take a call on this. Or see if you can get hold of good AVRs/speakers for good EMIs,as you nowadays get 0% int EMI,if you are willing to take this route.
So,i hope you would take a sensible decision on this.

thank u VJ again.
i understand wht u r getting to. one doubt though..
If you can sacrifice the need for the HD audio for now,you can......
wht is HD audio ? isnt 5.1 the highest or say DTS/Pro logic... etc etc ?

wht is HD audio and if so should speakers be compatible ( this is lame question .. i think , but correct me if am wrong ) and wht features should a AVR have to be a HD audio compatible ?

again does All Bluray have HD audio ?

this is whts given on " Dark knight " bluray

>>>> Audio : dolby trueHD, English 5.1 ... and other language 5.1

and down i see so many symbols they are : Dolby , True HD , Dolby digital

so to wht AVR should i have or feature in AVR i should look for to be compatible with the above. ?

i goolged and got Dolby - Dolby TrueHD - The Ultimate Home Theater Audio Experience

and also on this SC-BT100 - Blu-ray Disc™ Players - Shop and Compare at Panasonic a link from the Dolby

so i think i get the picture here.

the rate for the above HTIB is around 1000 $ and thats around 50k in india without shipping charges..

now ... is there any HTIB equalent to this and around 30k mark or slightly above ...

i think this way i can get thru EMI as u said ( good idea.. i never thought of it )

and a little google gave me this

246j1oz.png

actually rhis where i get confused...

wht speakers availabe in india support true HD ? and will true HD sound better / make GReat difference than pro logic II ?

wht speaker + AVR do u recommned me VJ ?

please give me few options to work on bro.. i cant choose .. thats why.
i dont know which is good

and one more thing wht watt / RMS should i look for to have a good theatre effect or movie effect ?

update :

i found a line in wiki :
Component systems vs. theater-in-a-box

High-quality home cinemas are assembled from component pieces purchased separately to provide the best combination of equipment for the cost. It is possible to purchase home theater in a box kits that include a set of speakers for surround sound, an amplifier/tuner for adjusting volume and selecting video sources, and sometimes a DVD player. Though these kits often pale in comparison to a custom-built home cinema, they are inexpensive and easy to set up; one needs only to add a television and some movies in order to create a simple home theater. This makes them popular in the public's eyes.

is really true ? i mean isnt there any good HTIB ?

also most of hte HTIB comes paked with DVD/bluray palyer. i dont want them . can i ask the dealer whn i buy to omiit them ?

i saw panasonic PT series : Home Theatre | Digital AV | Panasonic India

they look good. but they are bundled with DVD player... wht to do ?

and one more thing wht is THX certified... is it a must. my old selection logitech Z5500 had THX certification.

and also is component buying better than HTIB ... ( is it like assembling a PC VS company PC like Dell,Zenith...etc ? )

HD audios are a result of the HD era where we are at. When it comes to the conventional audio which we have now,the stereo,5.1 DD,DTS etc are still digital and are still widely used as a preferred medium in most of the cinemas and the dvd world wide. So if you need to enjoy 5.1 surround sound at your home,you need to have a set of 5 speaker+a sub woofer connected to a AVR(audio/video receiver)which can decode the sound from your dvd and reproduce the 5.1 and transfer it to the speaker using DAC(digital to analogue conversion). But formats like Dolby digital,DTS still use lossy compression due to space restrictions on a DVD which can only hold upto 4.7gb in case of a DVD5 and around 8.5 GB in case of a DVD9.
There was strong need of a technology which will provide more fidelity in terms of video and audio and thus formats like HD DVD and BLU-RAY came into existence.Then Bluray officially won the format war against HD DVD as toshiba withdrew its HD DVD sector. A bluray on a single layer can offer you 25 GB and on a dual layer 50 Gb which is huge and 10 times that of a conventional DVD. This inturn allows you store High definition video and audio in it. To store Hi def video and audio ,you would obviously need more space which the bluray gives you. Because the movies you watch in bluray are mostly full HD and they occupy a lot of space,A movie would easily take 25 to 45 GB depending upon the content and additional features that they put in.
Now you dont have any problems with the bluray since you have a PS3,So forget this.
To match the hidef standards,DOLBY and DTS labs came with their high end audio formats to provide the high fidelity audio with out any compression applied.So HD audio is uncompressed and lossless and gives you a very vivid experience. In the HD formats you have the Dolby tru Hd and the DTS HD master audio which can give audio bandwidth of upto 24.5 MBPS which is like 20 times of the existing ones. They would just sound like the original studio master when they are recorded,provided you have the equipment to take it on.
Since you have a PS3 and the PS3 is capable of decoding all the HD audio formats,you would now need a latest gen AVR which can actually decode the HD audios from the PS3 and make it audible through the speakers. This particular setup is going to cost you more than a conventional HTIB which will only take to a entry level world of 5.1 but still satisfies you.
Now as i mentioned in the earlier post,if you want the best of the best experience when playing games and watching bluray movies,you would end up spending atleast 30-40K on a HD AVR and 25k on a speaker setup.
If you strictly dont have the budget for this,you can very go for a entry level HTIB now by spending somewhere around 25-30K and still enjoy your Bluray,DVDs etc with the conventional DD/DTS formats and still feel happy like i do :)
To answer ur next question,yes assembled home theatre equipments are way better than the HTIBs but takes you more time and money in setting up but also gives you the best exp.
Cheers mate
Vj

HD audios are a result of the HD era where we are at. When it comes to the conventional audio which we have now,the stereo,5.1 DD,DTS etc are still digital and are still widely used as a preferred medium in most of the cinemas and the dvd world wide. So if you need to enjoy 5.1 surround sound at your home,you need to have a set of 5 speaker+a sub woofer connected to a AVR(audio/video receiver)which can decode the sound from your dvd and reproduce the 5.1 and transfer it to the speaker using DAC(digital to analogue conversion). But formats like Dolby digital,DTS still use lossy compression due to space restrictions on a DVD which can only hold upto 4.7gb in case of a DVD5 and around 8.5 GB in case of a DVD9.
There was strong need of a technology which will provide more fidelity in terms of video and audio and thus formats like HD DVD and BLU-RAY came into existence.Then Bluray officially won the format war against HD DVD as toshiba withdrew its HD DVD sector. A bluray on a single layer can offer you 25 GB and on a dual layer 50 Gb which is huge and 10 times that of a conventional DVD. This inturn allows you store High definition video and audio in it. To store Hi def video and audio ,you would obviously need more space which the bluray gives you. Because the movies you watch in bluray are mostly full HD and they occupy a lot of space,A movie would easily take 25 to 45 GB depending upon the content and additional features that they put in.
Now you dont have any problems with the bluray since you have a PS3,So forget this.
To match the hidef standards,DOLBY and DTS labs came with their high end audio formats to provide the high fidelity audio with out any compression applied.So HD audio is uncompressed and lossless and gives you a very vivid experience. In the HD formats you have the Dolby tru Hd and the DTS HD master audio which can give audio bandwidth of upto 24.5 MBPS which is like 20 times of the existing ones. They would just sound like the original studio master when they are recorded,provided you have the equipment to take it on.
Since you have a PS3 and the PS3 is capable of decoding all the HD audio formats,you would now need a latest gen AVR which can actually decode the HD audios from the PS3 and make it audible through the speakers. This particular setup is going to cost you more than a conventional HTIB which will only take to a entry level world of 5.1 but still satisfies you.
Now as i mentioned in the earlier post,if you want the best of the best experience when playing games and watching bluray movies,you would end up spending atleast 30-40K on a HD AVR and 25k on a speaker setup.
If you strictly dont have the budget for this,you can very go for a entry level HTIB now by spending somewhere around 25-30K and still enjoy your Bluray,DVDs etc with the conventional DD/DTS formats and still feel happy like i do :)
To answer ur next question,yes assembled home theatre equipments are way better than the HTIBs but takes you more time and money in setting up but also gives you the best exp.
Cheers mate
Vj

:thumbsup:

that clears up a lot. but please dont take me wrong. i just found a link where it said that PS3 doesnt fully output trueHD.. PS3 - DTS-HD - Dolby TrueHD - Bitstream - LPCM - AVForums.com

and
this specific one made me think whether to go for treuHD or not

Use HDMI with Linear PCM . That way the PS3 does all the decoding and passes the HD Audio to your amp as Linear PCM (Just as good as Bitstream). Unfortunately due to hardware limitations in the HDMI chip the PS3 uses it is very unlikely that we will ever see Bitstream support for the HD Audio Codecs. I'm in the same position as you, I've got a Onkyo 605 and considering I paid all that money I want my Dolby True HD and DTS-MA icon to light up!

Only option is to buy a standalone Blu-Ray machine that supports Bitstream Out e.g. Panasonic BD-30.

Cheers Joe

can u give a list of the top best to bottom.. i mean like

1st - TrueHD
2nd - Dolby Digital plus
3rd - Dolby Proloigc.... something like that . this way i will know which one to go for.

VJ wht do u have (specks oh ur HT ) and wht is the output sound ? u said u where hearing with DD/DTS..

where does Prologic II stands ?

i think now i cant get a AVR with trueHD , since they cost a lot.

and getting AVR seperate and speakers seperate , will cost time and money - as u said. more over i dont have that much knowledege on getting a good components and setting it up with a good wires ( i heard the wires also play a vital role )

now i have made a few choices .. either to go for
Panasonic SC-PT870/PT770/570
LG HT 902TB

i dont know which one to go for in onkyo / sony / JBL etc

please suggest me few good HTIB`s and possibly without a DVD/BLURAY

last question VJ . what is the connectivity should i look in for when i buy these things. i mean i had a samsung ( 5.1 ) very basic but it was for PC so it had only 3 jacks ( like in the headphones we use ) and for that reason i was not able to connect to anything other than PC ( 5.1 sound card )

so wht should i look in for ?

is there any limits with optical carrying capacity .. i mean does optical can carry prologic II ?

and will optical connectivity will be given alog with HTIB ? or should i have to buy it also ?

thnks again VJ for replying ...

thnks i advance for the reply.

Last edited:
Ok,Its good that you are trying to clear things up and no wonder this is the same state where every one will be in when they step into the world of home cinema and hi-fi audio. I don't see a point in ordering the best to worst in audio formats as every format delivers what its supposed to deliver. Of course the HD audio formats are the best for now,as they offer more fidelity and richness in the sound.
For ur first doubt, don't ever worry,your PS3 will still do a good job of decoding all the HD audio,as it can transfer signals as LPCM and your HD AVR will decode the same and give u the HD experience.
In your case,why don't we rule out the HD audio case,its ok if u have the PS3,but still you can enjoy 5.1 surround sound with a decent entry level HTIB.
So in the conventional 5.1 setup(HTIB too),your AVR will take care of decoding Dolby 5.1,DTS.Dolby prologic and what ever.
Dont worry about all this dolby prologic and all,its only a decoding format where a conventional stereo is upmixed into 5 channel sound and the equivalent of this is the DTS-NEO.So to enjoy stereo in 5 channel mode you would choose these modes.And again don't worry all this will be processed by the HTIB that you gonna buy.Dont also worry about all this optical, coaxial etc.Ur AVR will have all these inputs and outputs. They both are almost similar where the coaxial carries electrical signals,where as the optical carries the digital signals as light. They both are the only source to carry 5.1 audio.So u need not again worry a lot about this.Your HTIB will have all these provisions.
I will not recommend both the options that you have in ur mind,sorry for that.I don't think they both are into professional audio,they are into different league all together.They are world leader in LCDs and plasmas but not in professional audio and they still make these for the sake of making one.
Go for HTIBs from Onkyo,Yamaha and so.Do visit a showroom like e-zone,croma,reliance digital etc and they can demo a model for you. currently you can buy a decent HTIB for 25K from any one of these companies.
Since you have the PS3 you can use it to play bluray,dvds,cds etc.
Say for example,you have bought a Onkyo HTIB and you set it up,you would connect the PS3 to the AVR using optical out in the PS3 and to the optical in,in the AVR,so you are set to enjoy 5.1 surround sound from your PS3 games and movies etc. Since the PS3 is natively 7.1,it will send signals to the AVR and you would end up hearing the proper 5.1 channels as well.
So go ahead and get a HTIB from any of the brands i mentioned and you should enjoy and have a good time with that. So you are also ruling out the HD AVR option now.
Makes sense?
Cheers mate
Vijay

is there a way i can thnk u 100 times ? :) thnks a lot VJ thats was awesome.

for onkyo i had to go to chennai ... anyway do u have any specific models from leading audio companies. at the price range from 25-35k max ?

will surely see into onkyo,

thanks a lot VJ for all the replies. and hnks for clearing things up. i was worried coz i didnt want to end up in some stereo sound ... or with bad connection whcih both occured to me when i bought the basic computer 5.1 from samsung. thats why i want to be sure before i put in the money

how much does Swashbuckler HT-S3200 and Exhilarator HT-S5105 New cost. i see only two 5.1 HTIB .. where can i find more ? and also the price pf them ? do they give in with EMI ?

one more thing i saw that a 22k LG had 1000W but onkyo 32K had 680 W ...pleses clear me on this issue .. does this watt count ?

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back