Suggest Speakers to pair with Denon PMA 720AE

ukjeyaraj

I am planning to buy speakers for around Rs.25000. I can push it upto Rs.30000.

Equipments to be connected with

1) Denon PMA 720AE
2) Logitech SBT

Music Genre

1) Indian movie music
2) Rock n Roll
3) Pop
4) Carnatic Classical (Occassionally)

Room size - 15x10

Considering the above factors, please suggest some speakers. If possible mention the place where those speakers will be available at Mumbai, so that I can take an audition before buying.

Some speakers, that I have shortlisted for auditioning are

2cfbgjl.png

Thanks in advance.

for a room size of 15*10 , you will not need big sized bookshelf speakers..in my opinion, i shortlisted from list to

1. wharfedale diamond 121
2. q acoustics 2020i
3. BA a26

kef q300 is excellent but bit pricier than others..

for my taste i will select in between q acoustics 2020i and wharfedale 121 for its smaller size..

-suresh babu

If smaller BSs are okay, try auditioning the Usher S520. Should be around the 25k mark.

As sbabu2002 mentioned, the 300s are more expensive than the others. MRP used to be 36k at ProFx if I'm not mistaken.

KEF Q300 would be a safe bet.

Its over 30000 mark. Right now not in my list.

for a room size of 15*10 , you will not need big sized bookshelf speakers..in my opinion, i shortlisted from list to

1. wharfedale diamond 121
2. q acoustics 2020i
3. BA a26

kef q300 is excellent but bit pricier than others..

for my taste i will select in between q acoustics 2020i and wharfedale 121 for its smaller size..

-suresh babu

I liked q acoustics 2010i comparing to wharf on an earlier occassion. I need to take an audition again with 2020i.

If smaller BSs are okay, try auditioning the Usher S520. Should be around the 25k mark.

As sbabu2002 mentioned, the 300s are more expensive than the others. MRP used to be 36k at ProFx if I'm not mistaken.

I need to find where I can audition Usher s520 at Mumbai. But on first look it has not-so-good review in whathifi.

The Mezzo 2 speakers are on discount now. See if you can find a pair close to your budget.

Its around 34K in technoguru. Is it available on further discount elsewhere? Kindly point me if possible.

One forum member has not liked Q300 with Denon 720.
http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/47432-kef-q300.html

How about Pioneer sp-fs52?
There is also long thread for speakers under 20,000.

EDIT: Check out Cambridge Audio S30 also.
http://www.hifivision.com/my-audio-video-setup/33871-surprisingly-good-sound-modest-setup.html

I find Pioneer sp-fs52 too big for the room size. I can check CA S30, it will save lot of money.

Hi ukjeyaraj,
Few days back, I have auditioned two of the speaker models that you have listed.
Polk TSX-330T
Jamo S426

I found Polk TSX-330T lacking energy and it was very bright as well. I didn't like the way it sounded. Jamo S426 is better than the Polk model and it a VFM. Compared to the Polk, it had more energy and life. Still I would suggest you to keep S426 as your last option.
If you are going for BS, I feel (though I haven't auditioned them) Polk RTi-A3/wharfedale 121/KEF100 would be the best.
I would suggest you compare and audition these three BS speaker models with the floor stander Jamo S426.
I understand your budget limit. If you are ready to cross R.30000 mark, I will blindly recommend you Tannoy DC6 and PSB Image B6. They can sound beautiful particularly with Indian movie music (that came in 70s and 80s).

Hi ukjeyaraj,
Few days back, I have auditioned two of the speaker models that you have listed.
Polk TSX-330T
Jamo S426

I found Polk TSX-330T lacking energy and it was very bright as well. I didn't like the way it sounded. Jamo S426 is better than the Polk model and it a VFM. Compared to the Polk, it had more energy and life. Still I would suggest you to keep S426 as your last option.
If you are going for BS, I feel (though I haven't auditioned them) Polk RTi-A3/wharfedale 121/KEF100 would be the best.
I would suggest you compare and audition these three BS speaker models with the floor stander Jamo S426.
I understand your budget limit. If you are ready to cross R.30000 mark, I will blindly recommend you Tannoy DC6 and PSB Image B6. They can sound beautiful particularly with Indian movie music (that came in 70s and 80s).

Thanks for your suggestion. In fact I too liked Jamo S426 when I listened last time. I was there to listen only Wharf and Q Acoustics BS, then I saw this FS and listened it as it was available at an attractive price of 18000. I kind of liked it. When you told, Tannoy DC6 and PSB Image B6 can sound good for 80s music, I am inclined towards looking on the otherside of 30000 fence.

I took audition of some speakers

1) Jamo C603 with Denon PMA520AE (Cinebels - Bandra, Mumbai)

Source was a sherwood CD player.

Speakers were sounding warm and good overall. Initially I felt that stereo imaging was not proper. Cinebel guy changed the speaker placement and after that it sounded much better. I was happy with Jamo C603 but not excited

2) Dali Zensor 1 with Denon PMA 720AE (The Shop - Andheri, Mumbai)

Source - Denon CD Player

Music in this speaker was smooth like silk, but lacked punch. Very detailed sound with clear mids and highs.

3) Wharfedale 121 with Denon PMA 720AE (The Shop - Andheri, Mumbai)

Source - Denon CD Player

This sounded very nice and full. At 10 clock level bass was coming out nice and also stereo imaging was very good. Totally felt much better than Dali zensor 1

4) Wharfedale 10.1 with Denon PMA 720AE (The Shop - Andheri, Mumbai)

Source - Denon CD Player

This sounded more like Wharfedale 121 and slightly better for my years. I liked the sound of Wharf 10.1 more than 121. Did some A/B comparison of same tracks once again between both wharfs and confirmed that, Wharf 10.1 suits my taste.

I was interested to listen Wharf 10.2, but it was not available for Demo. If someone has listened both 10.1 and 10.2 please share your thoughts, as to how good 10.2 when comparing to 10.1. Is it worth the extra money?

Had a demo of 10.2 with Denon PMA 720AE. I preferred the sound of Wharfedale 10.1 and finally settled for the same. Thanks to all who gave their ideas and suggestions

Back