Suggestion for a home setup

mukand

Suggestion for a home theater system setup1

Hello Everyone,

I am setting up a home theater system and planning to do it in Steps/Stages. I guess each stage would be of a gap of 1 month to 3 months.

Stage 1. I am planning for Onkyo TX-SR605 with 2 Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s as fronts. These I am planning to use with an existing 21" TV and DVD player. (Giving me a decent stereo setup.. I guess)

Stage 2. I would like to add Wharfedale SW150 to make it a 2.1 setup. (adding bass and depth to the setup)

Stage 3. Would include adding a TFT screen.. lets see not sure either a full HD 1080p 32" or HD ready 720p 40" again depends on the budget. (here again this would dual up as a computer monitor giving either 1920x1080 or 1280x720 resolution.... games man ;) so response is to be 5ms or lower)

Stage 4. I am planning to add the surrounds Wharfedale Diamond 9.DFS and the center channel Wharfedale Diamond 9.CS (completing the 5.1 setup)

Stage 5. Optionally I am planning to add a HDD based player like "Tomacro limHD200i HD media player" or "ISTAR Mini Networked Media Tank" or "Popcorn Hour A-100" (depends on what ever featuring 1080p, H.264, VC1 and MKV support available by that time)

Any suggestions or references Guys !!!

Last edited:
Hi Mukand,

You mentioned that you are in the market for home theatre set up. Where are you based? If it is in Mumbai, then I strongly recommend getting in touch with Harsh Thakkar. He is the owner/proprietor of Sharper Image and is based in Worli, Mumbai. He is a pioneer in this industry and is a real pro at home theatre set up and custom installations. He also sells as the possible equipment pertaining to audio/video. He has a strong and experienced team and he is very well respected in the industry. His contact number is 24915886.

Good luck with your new venture :)

Re: Suggestion for a home setup - Onkyo TX-SR605

Ok all set up to start the project .......

According to the plan (pelaan ;) ) would like to go for Onkyo TX-SR605 first.
and need a deal here. What is a good price to pay for this!!!

Everywhere I am getting different prices
in US its under $400 ~ < Rs16,813 ($1=Rs. 42.033)
to some one here in Bangalore paying almost 45k with bill+zellion taxes and what not.

So what is the best price you have paid for or are getting this at ???

every suggestion is a welcome :)

Hello Everyone,

I am setting up a home theater system and planning to do it in steps.
Initially I am planning for Onkyo TX-SR605 with Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s these I am planning to use with an existing 21" TV and DVD player.

Secondly I would like to add Wharfedale SW150 to make it a 2.1 setup.

Third stage would include adding a TFT screen.. lets see not sure either a full HD 1080p 32" or HD ready 720p 40" again depends on the budget.

Fouth stage I am planning to add the surrounds Wharfedale Diamond 9.DFS and the center channel Wharfedale Diamond 9.CS

Optionally I am planning to add a HDD based player like "Tomacro limHD200i HD media player" or "ISTAR Mini Networked Media Tank" or "Popcorn Hour A-100"

Any suggestions or references Guys !!!

Looks like a perfect plan to me!

FullHD would be a good option, but again if you are limited by a 40in then it doesn't really matter. imho when it comes to HDD and display, bigger the better since you cant really upgrade-without suffering loss- on those lines very often.

All the best.

Last edited:
Mukand

Nice to know about your plans...

But...

Amplifier...
Y are you looking for Onkyo TX-SR605, is it because of budget...???
I would prefer Denon-1508 over TX-SR605, priced at Rs.24,499/- check the outputs dear, there's a lot of difference...basically power...
Outputs are one or other same, 10 video outputs + 2 HDMI in both.
If wanna go for a lil expensive you can go for Marantz - SR3001, its
Rs.37,500/- approx.

Regarding speakers...Try Dali as in speaker as per your budget, a bit expensive but the IKON series rocks...
The complete IKON 5.1 package will cost you approx. Rs.1.78 Lakhs.
But, they are the award winning speakers for continuously 4 years, and are rated 5 in all the surveys.
Or if you want something in budget, try Q Accoustics 5.1 package, priced at only Rs.80K approx. There basic series starts with Rs.50,000 for 5.1 package...
And they are awsome in that range, and have been awarded best 5.1 package below 75,000.

Regarding Plasma/LCD, i would prefer you to go for Plasma, 42inch, Hitachi
(P42A01A)(Rs.82K MRP) or Panasonic(42PV70H)(Rs.78K MRP), and if you really have budget, then nothings better than Pioneer (Rs.1.48L MRP).
None, other plasmas work better than this for home theatres.

Regarding HDD Player, go by your choice... no comments on that...

Do let me know, your budget buddy, i may help you getting the best deals for your Home Theatre.

Thanks & Regards

Mridul Goel

You can get a Marantz 4002 AV receiver for 24k or so (the 3001 mentioned above will be 20k or less) on the grey market. The "official" prices are brutal. It won't do dts-hd ma or dolby truehd but will do lpcm 7.1. Same reason for not being enthusiastic about Denon - prices marked up too high. You can do better.

Mukand

Nice to know about your plans...

But...

Amplifier...
Y are you looking for Onkyo TX-SR605, is it because of budget...???
I would prefer Denon-1508 over TX-SR605, priced at Rs.24,499/- check the outputs dear, there's a lot of difference...basically power...
Outputs are one or other same, 10 video outputs + 2 HDMI in both.
If wanna go for a lil expensive you can go for Marantz - SR3001, its
Rs.37,500/- approx.

Regarding speakers...Try Dali as in speaker as per your budget, a bit expensive but the IKON series rocks...
The complete IKON 5.1 package will cost you approx. Rs.1.78 Lakhs.
But, they are the award winning speakers for continuously 4 years, and are rated 5 in all the surveys.
Or if you want something in budget, try Q Accoustics 5.1 package, priced at only Rs.80K approx. There basic series starts with Rs.50,000 for 5.1 package...
And they are awsome in that range, and have been awarded best 5.1 package below 75,000.

Regarding Plasma/LCD, i would prefer you to go for Plasma, 42inch, Hitachi
(P42A01A)(Rs.82K MRP) or Panasonic(42PV70H)(Rs.78K MRP), and if you really have budget, then nothings better than Pioneer (Rs.1.48L MRP).
None, other plasmas work better than this for home theatres.

Regarding HDD Player, go by your choice... no comments on that...

Do let me know, your budget buddy, i may help you getting the best deals for your Home Theatre.

Thanks & Regards

Mridul Goel

Thanks Mridul for your suggestions but i feel you haven't understood the full capabilities of TX-SR605

Denon-1508 .. 75 W (8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz) on all channels
Onkyo TX-SR605 .. 90 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz??20 kHz,0.08%, 2 channels driven, FTC)

Denon-1508
DOLBY Decoder - Dolby Digital Surround EX Decoding
DTS Decoder - dts ES Discrete 6.1 Decoding
HDCD Decoder - None

Onkyo TX-SR605
DOLBY Decoder - DD Plus, TrueHD
DTS Decoder - DTS-HD Master Audio

Denon-1508
HDMI version - 1.3a Video only switcher type
Video Conversion ?? Analog to HDMI - None
Video Conversion ??Composite to S-Video to Component - None

Onkyo TX-SR605
HDMI version - V1.3 Repeater
Component Video Upconversion - Yes
Analog to HDMI Upconversion (DCDi Faroudja) - Yes

Speakers .. yes i do agree Dali IKON5.1 sounds better but I want to build around bookshelf speakers hence Diamond9.1s. plus i did not find any better sounding speakers in the range (Rs.12,500 per pair) (Have an audition in an room which is not carpeted/treated and you would be amazed by the dampening)
Same goes for Wharfedale Diamond 9.CS

I am yet to audition Wharfedale Diamond 9.DFS with Onkyo TX-SR605 as surrounds (I like their di-pole structure, should give a nice spread/spital of surround) Need to check if these can be bi-wired as Surround and Surround Back. (If not I would love to re-engineer them ;) )

Nothing on the display yet .... still a long way to go hence haven't started auditioning .... dunno when are we having HD or at least nearHD (720p)broadcasts available :mad:
I really hate to watch the 4:3 content on the 16:9 panels

Mridul, budget is not a concern ...value for money is
Plus i would rather buy things in stages/planned rather than buy everything and pay installments ;)

Presently let me know if i can get a good deal on Onkyo TX-SR605 :)

Thanks again

Do you plan to listen to multichannel music (SACD/DVD-A)? If so, direct surrounds may be better suited to this task than dipoles. Also, do consider the Monitor Audio Bronze series as a bit of a step up from the Diamond 9 series.

Since you are in Bangalore perhaps you could check out Usher S-520 at ARN systems as well.

Comparisons of Usher S-520 vs. Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 @ Stereophile

"The Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 was more detailed in the midrange, with more delicate and sophisticated high frequencies. Overall, the Wharfedale's dynamic performance was equal to the Usher's, but its mid and upper bass were warmer and thicker." - By Robert J. Reina

Thanks Mridul for your suggestions but i feel you haven't understood the full capabilities of TX-SR605

Denon-1508 .. 75 W (8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz) on all channels
Onkyo TX-SR605 .. 90 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz??20 kHz,0.08%, 2 channels driven, FTC)

Denon-1508
DOLBY Decoder - Dolby Digital Surround EX Decoding
DTS Decoder - dts ES Discrete 6.1 Decoding
HDCD Decoder - None

Onkyo TX-SR605
DOLBY Decoder - DD Plus, TrueHD - agree
DTS Decoder - DTS-HD Master Audio - agree

Denon-1508
HDMI version - 1.3a Video only switcher type
Video Conversion ?? Analog to HDMI - None
Video Conversion ??Composite to S-Video to Component - None

Onkyo TX-SR605
HDMI version - V1.3 Repeater
Component Video Upconversion - Yes - Disagree
Analog to HDMI Upconversion (DCDi Faroudja) - Yes - Disagree

Speakers .. yes i do agree Dali IKON5.1 sounds better but I want to build around bookshelf speakers hence Diamond9.1s. plus i did not find any better sounding speakers in the range (Rs.12,500 per pair) (Have an audition in an room which is not carpeted/treated and you would be amazed by the dampening)
Same goes for Wharfedale Diamond 9.CS

I am yet to audition Wharfedale Diamond 9.DFS with Onkyo TX-SR605 as surrounds (I like their di-pole structure, should give a nice spread/spital of surround) Need to check if these can be bi-wired as Surround and Surround Back. (If not I would love to re-engineer them ;) )

Nothing on the display yet .... still a long way to go hence haven't started auditioning .... dunno when are we having HD or at least nearHD (720p)broadcasts available :mad:
I really hate to watch the 4:3 content on the 16:9 panels

Mridul, budget is not a concern ...value for money is
Plus i would rather buy things in stages/planned rather than buy everything and pay installments ;)

Presently let me know if i can get a good deal on Onkyo TX-SR605 :)

Thanks again

Dear Mukand

I think you have done your homework on bases of spec sheets...
Buddy i agree on what you saying about the Audio Specs of Denon & Onkyo...
But will totally disagree on parts of video...

I dont want to argue...but being in this industry, the upscaling part has always been a trouble...
It sounds great when you are told that the device will upscale the pictures, but have you ever noticed the actual quality of the upscaled video...

If you have finalised on TX-Sr605, i dont doubt, but, i would suggest you to take one pirated movie disc, and goto Onkyo/ProFx/ARN Systems, for demo of Video from TX-SR605/AVR-1508/SR-3001 on LCDs and Plasmas both...
Play it on with S-Video input, in normal and upscaling mode...you will see the difference by yourself...

Its almost as same as Samsung upscaling 1366x768p picture into 1920x1080p and labeling it Full HD Progressive...

Anyways, if you 70% of usage of amp is Audio, then its not at all a matter of concern...

Regarding audio, let me know, your complete 7.1 budget all over, i will distribute it into 2.1 to 7.1, for you to buy in levels...

Regarding Video as well, do let me know, your viewing distance, i will tell you what will best suite there...

Dont take my quotes aggressively...
Its just what i have experienced...

Do let me know, whatever your needs are... i will get you the things and would be happy to assist you with too...

Do let me know, about your requirements...i will get you a good price...

Thanking You

Mridul Goel

Hummmmm... I get the point ... was following this on the wiki

I am yet to check this in practice but let me know if I take the signal from my existing DVD player (Component Y-Pb-Pr) and feed it to the TX-SR605
or say TX-SR606 and connect an HDMI cable to a Panel say something as 37" HD ready (720p). What kind of output should i expect given that i am using Original DVDs or XviDs that are again DVDRips (480p) real good quality with AC3 encoding. Absolute no no to cheap pirated movie disks.
At present I know what looks good on my 19" Dell Monitor (1440x900).

Scenarios

1. DVD > Component Cable> TX-SR605 (Upscaler ON) > HDMI > HD ready (720p) panel = Quality ??

2. DVD > Component Cable> TX-SR605 (Upscaler OFF or Through) > HDMI > HD ready (720p) panel = Quality ??

3. DVD > Component Cable> TX-SR605 > Component Cable > HD ready (720p) panel = Quality ??

4. DVD > Component Cable> HD ready (720p) panel, TX-SR605 to be only used for audio = Quality ??

Also what is the scenario if I use a Dish/Sky instead of DVD

Please let me know your hands on experiences !!!
(I would love to have a single cable running from the reciever to the TV and that would be HDMI)

Dear Mukand

Thanks for considering...
Please find your answers below :

Scenarios

1. DVD > Component Cable> TX-SR605 (Upscaler ON) > HDMI > HD ready (720p) panel = Quality ??
Picture will be scaled up, but you will find splitted colours, as some one has split water on the picture, but in pixel format, you will only see tagged colors, not the natural colors..

2. DVD > Component Cable> TX-SR605 (Upscaler OFF or Through) > HDMI > HD ready (720p) panel = Quality ??
No special effects will be there, but yes, as HDMI transfers data faster, the picture will be clean, as compared to your direct input to Panel...

3. DVD > Component Cable> TX-SR605 > Component Cable > HD ready (720p) panel = Quality ??
GURUS plzzz help me on this...
Do Component support 720i, i know 720p is not for sure, but dont know about 720i...
plzzz help

4. DVD > Component Cable> HD ready (720p) panel, TX-SR605 to be only used for audio = Quality ??
Thats just the alternative for HDMI, even for audio...
For sound TX-SR605, in spec and in pracs sounds great, and is a quality product... No doubt...

Also what is the scenario if I use a Dish/Sky instead of DVD
Dish/Sky using a set top box, will have a Component output only...

I am not against anything in Audio, but video upscaling is as good as junk, just a good option for Stills...not motions...

Do let me know, if you have any querries...

Thanking You

Mridul Goel

Thanks Mridul,

I guess for 3. DVD > Component Cable> TX-SR605 > Component Cable > HD ready (720p) panel = Quality ??

A regular component video input will support up to 480i.
A wideband CV input will support 480i/p, 720p, 1080i...
Any component video cable will support 480i to 1080p...It's not the cables that are wideband(HD capable) it is the inputs/outputs.

But here I was referring the Component Cable carrying the regular 480i/p and letting HD ready (720p) panel do the scaling on its own.(not upconversion)

GURUS plzzz help me on this...
Do Component support 720i, i know 720p is not for sure, but dont know about 720i...
plzzz help

720i is not a standard format. The standard formats are 480i/p (NTSC), 576i/p (PAL), 720p, 1080i/p only. I dont know of any equipment that supports or deals with 720i.

Dear Mukand,

I went through the whole thread again. I think that your understanding about SR605 is not entirely correct. SR605 upscales to 720p only using a secret menu that was deeply discussed on the avsforum. The problem with it is that the aspect ratio (specifically widescreen) in not well maintained in the conversion process. SO, you should not depend on the upscaling of SR605. Let me explain each component to HDMI scenario.

Component (480i) -> SR605 -> HDMI (480p)
Component (480p) -> SR605 -> HDMI (480p)
Component (720p) -> SR605 -> HDMI (720p)
Component (1080i) -> SR605 -> HDMI (720p) [A problem for many people]

For PAL formats, I think the conversion table would be the same as 480i/p. Officially, SR605 supports only the above conversions.

If you want upscaling support to 720p or 1080i, look at the just released SR606.

Regards,
Prasad Redkar.

Hi Particleman, thanks for suggesting the Ushers :D

Mukand, as Particleman said, unless you have heard and finalised on the wharfedale, you may not lose anything by giving the Ushers a listen :) Ofcourse, I have a vested interest, but nevertheless its always good to consider a few choices before finalising on one....also so that there are no regrets later :(

cheers

Dear Mukand,

I went through the whole thread again. I think that your understanding about SR605 is not entirely correct. SR605 upscales to 720p only using a secret menu that was deeply discussed on the avsforum. The problem with it is that the aspect ratio (specifically widescreen) in not well maintained in the conversion process. SO, you should not depend on the upscaling of SR605. Let me explain each component to HDMI scenario.

Component (480i) -> SR605 -> HDMI (480p)
Component (480p) -> SR605 -> HDMI (480p)
Component (720p) -> SR605 -> HDMI (720p)
Component (1080i) -> SR605 -> HDMI (720p) [A problem for many people]

For PAL formats, I think the conversion table would be the same as 480i/p. Officially, SR605 supports only the above conversions.

If you want upscaling support to 720p or 1080i, look at the just released SR606.

Regards,
Prasad Redkar.

Dear Prasad...

Thanks for the information...

Buddies, just tell me one thing...
what about the amplifiers (Not particularly SR605/606), who claims to upscale the PQ to 720p or 1080i...???

Are they worth...
Till date what all i have seen, i am satidfied with none, upscaling the PQ, even you loose the excitment, after watching the upscaled PQ...

As you termed in your comments, that they will upscale from 480i/p to max 720p and 1080i...
Dont they upscale 720p to 1080i...

If thts so tht means they are even worse then what my observations were...

But...
I think here there should be no problem...
It should be fine...
And he can use component cable from his cable network, and an HDMI input from other sources for his Panel...

Anyways, Mukand, go for an 1080p panel, instead of 720p...

Dear Prasad...

Thanks for the information...

Buddies, just tell me one thing...
what about the amplifiers (Not particularly SR605/606), who claims to upscale the PQ to 720p or 1080i...???

Are they worth...
Till date what all i have seen, i am satidfied with none, upscaling the PQ, even you loose the excitment, after watching the upscaled PQ...

As you termed in your comments, that they will upscale from 480i/p to max 720p and 1080i...
Dont they upscale 720p to 1080i...

If thts so tht means they are even worse then what my observations were...

Players typically have better scalars. Expections may be the Onkyo 875 and 905 with the Reon. Meanwhile, you will find that most receivers use the Faroudja which is an older technology and doesnt have to bandwidth to process an input 720p or higher signal. If it has the newer scalars/de-interlacers from Silicon Optix (Reon/Realta), ABT Technologies or Gennum, it might be a different story.

Regards,
Prasad.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back