Suggestion for atmos and rear surround speakers to complete 5.1.2 setup

Deblin

Hi,
Hope everybody is doing well!!
I need help figuring out what are some of the good options for atmos and rear surround speakers.
My current set up is as follows
Front- Audiovector QR1 bookshelf speakers(with ribbon tweeters)
Center- Audiovector QR C - center channel speaker
Subwoofer- Rythmik FVX12
AVR- Marantz SR6013
So given my frontstage, how should I complete my 5.1.2 setup( I hope 2 atmos will be good to start of with). For atmos I am looking for in wall speakers only, not reflection type. My room dimension will be 19*12( listening position across 12 feet). Is it advisable to spend a lot on rear surround and atmos speakers. Audiovector do have rear speakers but they cost pretty similar to bookshelf ones. I would really prefer cheaper alternatives.

Also I am pretty new to Pune, so if anybody can let me know some good and reputed dealers in Pune it will be really helpful.

Thank you very much for your time and valuable feedback.

Hi,
Hope everybody is doing well!!
I need help figuring out what are some of the good options for atmos and rear surround speakers.
My current set up is as follows
Front- Audiovector QR1 bookshelf speakers(with ribbon tweeters)
Center- Audiovector QR C - center channel speaker
Subwoofer- Rythmik FVX12
AVR- Marantz SR6013
So given my frontstage, how should I complete my 5.1.2 setup( I hope 2 atmos will be good to start of with). For atmos I am looking for in wall speakers only, not reflection type. My room dimension will be 19*12( listening position across 12 feet). Is it advisable to spend a lot on rear surround and atmos speakers. Audiovector do have rear speakers but they cost pretty similar to bookshelf ones. I would really prefer cheaper alternatives.

Also I am pretty new to Pune, so if anybody can let me know some good and reputed dealers in Pune it will be really helpful.

Thank you very much for your time and valuable feedback.

Lovely speakers. I'd suggest you stick to AMTs all around.
And if you want something less expensive than the Audiovectors, have a listen to the XTZ bookshelves, or the Emotiva bookshelves, both of which have similar tweeters.
Martin Logan 2i, 4i or even 8i also have FMTs and are also reasonably priced.

While none of these will be an exact like-for-like house sound, the AMTs will sound pretty similar, which should work for use as surrounds.
For atmos ceiling speakers, do look at the Monoprice Amber series. One of the very few ceiling speakers that come with ribbons and are pretty inexpensive at that too. I have only read good things about them from owners here and elsewhere.

Regarding Pune, AV Store in Dhole Patil Road has a good experience centre with a wide range of products. Owner Anand and sales person Kirti are very helpful. (They are slightly pricier than other dealers, but i guess it comes down to driving a better bargain)

Oceanic near MG Road is a must visit, even if you don't end up buying anything. They deal in higher end products that are otherwise not easily available elsewhere. (They have the XTZs also) And the owner Mr. Mahendra Dave is an awesome person who is always ready to give you time and help with anything...

All the best!

Lovely speakers. I'd suggest you stick to AMTs all around.
And if you want something less expensive than the Audiovectors, have a listen to the XTZ bookshelves, or the Emotiva bookshelves, both of which have similar tweeters.
Martin Logan 2i, 4i or even 8i also have FMTs and are also reasonably priced.

While none of these will be an exact like-for-like house sound, the AMTs will sound pretty similar, which should work for use as surrounds.
For atmos ceiling speakers, do look at the Monoprice Amber series. One of the very few ceiling speakers that come with ribbons and are pretty inexpensive at that too. I have only read good things about them from owners here and elsewhere.

Regarding Pune, AV Store in Dhole Patil Road has a good experience centre with a wide range of products. Owner Anand and sales person Kirti are very helpful. (They are slightly pricier than other dealers, but i guess it comes down to driving a better bargain)

Oceanic near MG Road is a must visit, even if you don't end up buying anything. They deal in higher end products that are otherwise not easily available elsewhere. (They have the XTZs also) And the owner Mr. Mahendra Dave is an awesome person who is always ready to give you time and help with anything...

All the best!
Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. Will definitely check out your suggestions.

Hi..there is a possibility that I will be upgrading my receiver from 5.1 to 5.1.2. I had a question regarding Atmost speakers and their placement.

I saw few Youtube videos and seems the two best options is to either (a) Place them high above the screen pointing/tilting them towards the listener or have it placed directly overhead.

In my house I have issue with either of these two options, but with some effort might be able to pull off one of these.

My question is that assuming I go for overhead ceiling option, Can I take any small speaker and hang them upside down or do I need to go for down firing speakers? I mean if I go for a normal speaker and hang it upside down, will any of its internal loosen due to gravity? The same question goes for the tilting option of placing them above the screen. Would tilting a normal bookshelf make them loosen their internal parts?

I want to for the cheapest option and hence do not want to buy Atmos certified speakers and all that. I am just a normal guy and want to experience those bullets and choppers over head even if the sound is not best in class. In fact I want to reuse my existing unused speakers if gravity wont play games with their internals.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!

Is it advisable to spend a lot on rear surround and atmos speakers. Audiovector do have rear speakers but they cost pretty similar to bookshelf ones.
Is a bit of a Yes and No situation.
You want something timbre matched, as close as possible to your existing speakers. Without this, your experience maybe a mixed bag. Anything with a ribbon tweeter presents a different sound to a dome based tweeter. You want to try and maintain that as much as possible. You also want something with wide dispersion characteristics. This comes from the Dolby Atmos setup guide. I am not saying you need to follow this to a "T". Get it as close as possible.

I'll present a couple of options.
  • Dipole surrounds for Surrounds. You get a slightly wider sound stage with these. If you're no so critical, then stick to regular surround speakers.
  • Either in wall or the use of a bookshelf for Atmos. The latter is going to look horrible, mounted upside down.
  • If in wall, you want a speaker which has the ability to tilt the unit within the frame. Either the entire speaker or just the tweeter unit. This gives you some flexibility to adjust the angle of the speaker. Like this Elac. That's an example. Not saying you MUST buy only that.

For surround speakers, like Sandeep says it makes sense to spend, but the amount of sound that comes through is so little that I am not sure timbre matching really pays off esp. if you are not using it for multichannel music. For atmos, buying a 6inch or higher woofer helps, timbre matching is definitely not required. I bought a monoprice one which is very well priced for its output.

How much do you plan to spend on surround or atmos will help forum members to guide you accordingly.
There's Sonus 3540/Sonus 3440/Avant S1 from Sonodyne. The first and third being dipole. All of them cost between 20k-25k a pair. Wharfedale wh-dfs is also good.
Spend a little more, there's Dali Alteco C1. Despite not being dipole, it's brilliant! Using it for nearly 3 years now.
For atmos duty, JBL control one is a decent one. There are many happy owners within this forum.
You need not spend a bomb on atmos. But, if there's an option, do not spend very low in surrounds. The one advantage of using dedicated surround/atmos speakers is that you can take advantage of using the angles which is difficult with bookshelf speakers.

Thank you very much for all your suggestions. I am looking to spend around 60-65k for surround and atmos together.
I will check each of your recommendation and figure out what works best for me.
Once again thanks a lot for your time and recommendations

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back