Suggestion for Audio CD Player

Hi,
For 6/8 K the best bet would be a used Nad c 521 or a used marantz cd 5001 as i am not aware of any new cdp s in this price range.
Regards

Dinyaar,

Thanks for the quick response. Any idea about the price for the new NAD or Marantz CD players.

Regards,
Muthusami. S

Hi,
For 6/8 K the best bet would be a used Nad c 521 or a used marantz cd 5001 as i am not aware of any new cdp s in this price range.
Regards

Sure Muthuswamy,
The Marantz 5001 is 14.5K, the 6002 is 19 K. The Nad i mentioned is now replaced by 525 which should be about 22K.Also look for a used NAD C 542 which is a decent cdp IMO and can be got at 12K used.
Regards

Thanks a lot Dinyaar for the information.

Regards,
Muthusami. S

Sure Muthuswamy,
The Marantz 5001 is 14.5K, the 6002 is 19 K. The Nad i mentioned is now replaced by 525 which should be about 22K.Also look for a used NAD C 542 which is a decent cdp IMO and can be got at 12K used.
Regards

You can try CA- Azur 340C its a good player. The one I'm using is Azur 840C its a bit costlier but worth the money..:)

Muthu:

The Craftel equipment you are using are pure analogue. Thus the DAC for a CDP becomes very important.

There have been other threads in this forum about using an external DAC called Beresford. It may make sense to buy a very inexpensive player such as TEAC or something, and then coupling it with an external DAC such as that of Beresford.

A TEAC CDP should cost you around 5K, and a Beresford should cost you 7.5K. At the end you will have an excellent system. TEAC CDPs are very rugged and have a very respected drive mechanism. You can also look around for lower end CDPs from companies such as Panasonic or Pioneer.

Or, as been mentioned elsewhere, you can go for a simple Pioneer DVD Player connected to an external DAC for two channel audio. The advantage is that this will do double duty as a video source also. I am not sure, but if you already have a DVD player, just get an external DAC and see what you get. You can later decide whether you want a CDP separately. You will not lose anything as the DAC will always be useful.

Muthu:

The Craftel equipment you are using are pure analogue. Thus the DAC for a CDP becomes very important.

There have been other threads in this forum about using an external DAC called Beresford. It may make sense to buy a very inexpensive player such as TEAC or something, and then coupling it with an external DAC such as that of Beresford.

A TEAC CDP should cost you around 5K, and a Beresford should cost you 7.5K. At the end you will have an excellent system. TEAC CDPs are very rugged and have a very respected drive mechanism. You can also look around for lower end CDPs from companies such as Panasonic or Pioneer.

Or, as been mentioned elsewhere, you can go for a simple Pioneer DVD Player connected to an external DAC for two channel audio. The advantage is that this will do double duty as a video source also. I am not sure, but if you already have a DVD player, just get an external DAC and see what you get. You can later decide whether you want a CDP separately. You will not lose anything as the DAC will always be useful.

Venkat,

Thank you very much for your useful inputs. I use "Philips DVP 542K" DVD player for the past 3 years. I connected my equipment as DVD Player > Integrated Amplifier > Floorstanders. In the DVD player, only 5.1 channel audio outputs are given and I use the front left and right outputs for audio listening and movie watching (I don't have an home theatre setup). The connections working well but is it the right way of listening to music.

I understand that my Craftel equipment is pure analogue only after your reply. So with the current set up, should I use an external DAC. While watching movies, can I retain the DAC connection? Can I get the TEAC CD player and Beresford in India?

In addition, how can I identify an equipment whether it is analogue or digital.

Please advise. Thanks again for your inputs.

Regards,
Muthusami. S

Hi Muthusami,

The price of CD 5001 is Rs.13,000 at Bass Treble,Kovai.I received a price list from them sometimes back.

Their contact:
Bass Treble32,
Ramachandra Road,
R.S.PuramCoimbatore 641 002
Tamilnadu IndiaTel: +91 (0)422 2542992Mob: +91 98940 18283www.basstreble.in

Pl. Check with them.

Cheers,

Muthusami,

I use "Philips DVP 542K" DVD player for the past 3 years. I connected my equipment as DVD Player > Integrated Amplifier > Floorstanders. .... is it the right way of listening to music.

Oh yes, it is perfectly OK to do so. Just that a standalone CD player would give you more detailed and sweeter sound. At your budget you can not go wrong with Dinyar's advice about looking for a used NAD or Matantz CD player. Till then, make sure that your DVD player is set to the stereo mode for audio.

Most of the stereo amps are analog, which is good. Receivers are digital and have their own DACs. Your DVD player also has a DAC which is not as good for PCM stereo (CD), as the ones found in standalone CD players.

I have not used Beresford, so I cannot comment on that, but external DACs have their own challenges, like jitter and clock sync issues.

Thank you very much for your useful inputs. I use "Philips DVP 542K" DVD player for the past 3 years. I connected my equipment as DVD Player > Integrated Amplifier > Floorstanders. In the DVD player, only 5.1 channel audio outputs are given and I use the front left and right outputs for audio listening and movie watching (I don't have an home theatre setup). The connections working well but is it the right way of listening to music.

I am not sure about the specification of the DVP 542K. Most DVD players will have a Audio Out labelled L & R. In some players they will be labelled as Front/Mixed. If you are using the front L & R, these are the right connections for two channel audio.

I understand that my Craftel equipment is pure analogue only after your reply. So with the current set up, should I use an external DAC. While watching movies, can I retain the DAC connection? Can I get the TEAC CD player and Beresford in India?

Well, the Philips also has a DAC, and that is how you are listening to music and movie sound.

What we are discussing here is improving the sound.

External DACs are made for two channel audio, and will certainly work on the Front L & R of movies. The idea is that DVD players and ordinary CD Players do not spend too much money on the DAC and that is why they lose out. Connected to an external DAC, the sound will have more soundstage and clarity The reason that people use a CDP for two channel music is that it does not have the electronics that are needed for video and will have play the CD music better.

As I said you should get an external DAC, connect it between your DVD Player and amp, and see if the resulting sound is good. It will be. After that, when the audio bugs hits you again, you can buy a CD separately to get even better music.

But remember most external DACs process only two channels.

In addition, how can I identify an equipment whether it is analogue or digital.

By reading the specs and asking the dealer or retailer. Alternatively, you can give the specs to this forum and we can confirm whether the equipment is analogue or digital. Most branded equipment will have digital to analogue conversion. Craftel does not have as they have not yet entered the digital domain, and makes amplifiers that just amplify analogue signals.

Most branded equipment will have digital to analogue conversion. Craftel does not have as they have not yet entered the digital domain, and makes amplifiers that just amplify analogue signals.

That's not right. Amost all branded stereo amps we discuss on this forum are analog! None of them have DACs. Separating the digital and analog circuits keeps the sound clean.

That's not right. Amost all branded stereo amps we discuss on this forum are analog! None of them have DACs. Separating the digital and analog circuits keeps the sound clean.

I am sorry. Sharad is correct. All two channel amplifiers under discussion are analogue. I regret the oversight on my part.

Cheers

I am not sure about the specification of the DVP 542K. Most DVD players will have a Audio Out labelled L & R. In some players they will be labelled as Front/Mixed. If you are using the front L & R, these are the right connections for two channel audio.

Well, the Philips also has a DAC, and that is how you are listening to music and movie sound.

What we are discussing here is improving the sound.

External DACs are made for two channel audio, and will certainly work on the Front L & R of movies. The idea is that DVD players and ordinary CD Players do not spend too much money on the DAC and that is why they lose out. Connected to an external DAC, the sound will have more soundstage and clarity The reason that people use a CDP for two channel music is that it does not have the electronics that are needed for video and will have play the CD music better.

As I said you should get an external DAC, connect it between your DVD Player and amp, and see if the resulting sound is good. It will be. After that, when the audio bugs hits you again, you can buy a CD separately to get even better music.

But remember most external DACs process only two channels.

By reading the specs and asking the dealer or retailer. Alternatively, you can give the specs to this forum and we can confirm whether the equipment is analogue or digital. Most branded equipment will have digital to analogue conversion. Craftel does not have as they have not yet entered the digital domain, and makes amplifiers that just amplify analogue signals.

Venkat,

Thank you very much for the clarifications. By the way, can I buy the DAC that you mentioned in Chennai?

Regards,
Muthusami. S

Hi Kams,
Thanks for your reply. Are they selling TEAC CD players?

Regards,
Muthusami. S
Hi Muthusami,

The price of CD 5001 is Rs.13,000 at Bass Treble,Kovai.I received a price list from them sometimes back.

Their contact:
Bass Treble32,
Ramachandra Road,
R.S.PuramCoimbatore 641 002
Tamilnadu IndiaTel: +91 (0)422 2542992Mob: +91 98940 18283www.basstreble.in

Pl. Check with them.

Cheers,

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back