Suggestion for record cleaning Bath

Hi shaizada,
thanks for the reply. If it takes 2 minutes then its quite convenient. Since I will get lot of used records so I think a good cleaning solution is essential before trying them in a good player. My current rituals are bit clumsy but there are no way out so I think the cleaning machine is the way to go.
Thanks.

does it also dries the LPs or you play wet ones?

regards

It takes about 2 minutes or less to clean a record and play. Now the quality of the cleaning depends on the fluids used and the cleaning technique applied. You can get the surfaces really quite and even make the sound quality better.

Currently I use L'art Du Son which is absolutely fantastic. One bottle makes about 1 gallon of cleaning solution which lasts for a very long time. Next time, I'm going to try the Record Research Labs stuff of the Mobile Fidelity cleaning stuff. Just to change it up a bit.

Also, I like to actually scrub the LP back and forth while it is spinning on the RCM with the nylon brush that is supplied. Really digs into the grooves and scrubs out the grime.

I love the 16.5 as it really gets the job done....VERY satisfied with it. Only complaint is it get a tad bit loud, so can't clean records at night :) But I'm nitpicking. It's a fabulous machine and a must have for any vinyl junkie.

hi anm,

most record cleaners clean pretty dry. some recommend cleaning not so dry so as to avoid static and leaving a fine film which then airdries, in general if i was using a machine i'd wait a few hours before playing just to be safe. wet playing not recommended cos when the stylus plays it melts the vinyl a bit kinda making a smooth path and if vinyl is wet this does not happen and vinyl can get damaged. the moth rcms are a good value deal they come in kit form one has to make the enclosure. a UK company quite well regarded too. prefer it cos the vinyl does not sit on a platter, only the label part does.

regards

mahiruha,

the benefit of the vpi rcms that quite a few people take advantage of is that you can swap out the entire vacuum tube assembly in seconds, thus having one tube to do vacuuming for cleaning fluid and a fresh one for vacuuming up the rinsing water. also you can get a different mat for the other side of the lp so the cleaned side does not get dirty again.

regards

Hi Steven,
thanks about the suggestion. I am exploring different options regarding what is the most VFM product in this category. Lets see. BTW I was looking at this vinyl set up dvd.
Michael Fremer - elusivedisc
Any idea how goo are this. Have you seen them.
Thanks.

alcohol breaks down water and water breaks down alcohol so both don't remain on the lp. something like that anyway. thats why most recipes mention alcohol and water and soap as a mixture.

Hi stevieboy

Alcohol & water do not react. Infact, the alcohol you get for cleaning is diluted and methylated ethyl / isopropyl alcohol.

Ofcourse, absolute alcohol, which is 100% pure is also available but is not advisable as it might react with the vinyl.

I think since the amount of water needed to clean LPs will not be much, it will be sensible to use purified drinking water that has gone through an RO process. That will be absolutely safe. After all 25 litres costs just 30 Rupees, and I am sure you can clean at least a dozen LPs with that.

Venkatji,

RO purified water does contain some amount of mineral deposits The best way is to use distilled water that you get in Petrol Bunks to top up batteries.:)

I believe RO Filter water is not usefull as they advertise it preserve minerals while filtering (Bad for vinyl in long run).

As I dont know if regular liquid soap will stay on vinyl even after cleaning so I wont use that (We can rinse it with plenty of water afterwards but it would be too time consuming hard work)

So Basic idea to clean vinyl is removing dust or greasy stuff or oils etc. quickly and efficiently.

As Isopropyl alcohol evoparates quickly and removes greasy stuff it is required. And as distilled water is cheap plus it can remove regulars dust particles easily and will leave no residue on vinyl it is must

You are 100% correct.

As canned waters is used in invertors I am pretty much sure it will have no minerals otherwise it would ruin batteries.
This is incorrect. Canned water is produced by the same RO process on a commercial scale and the water is chemically similar to domestic RO water. A sensible mechanic would only use distilled water for topping up battery

Hi stevieboy

Alcohol & water do not react. Infact, the alcohol you get for cleaning is diluted and methylated ethyl / isopropyl alcohol.

hi captrajesh,

i dont know if they react in the sense of a chemical reaction taking place but they do react in the sense of making sure the mixture breaks down and penetrates deeper that's why it's a popular mix recipe for ages. 99% pure iso from a proper supply store. no diluted stuff :)

regards

i merrily use water from my aquaguard RO filter and wash my lps like plates in batches. have yet to spoil a label. have not noticed any difference between distilled water and RO water and considering i'm gonna wash an lp maybe twice in its life the minerals wont be much of an issue!

I usually clean my records with luke warm water and then wipe then with a clean lint free cloth. Then I leave 'em to dry further for about an hour. I do this every six to eight months. Most of my LP's don't crackle as much as they used to!

I feel that all such mixtures should only be used if the record is really noisy... other wise luke warm water is enuff!

Hi Manav,
How Many vinyl do you have ? If its too much effort cleaning, may I help in 'Someway' :D

To literally dig out muck, IMO nothing works better than Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2). I'm not sure if you guys have seen this; If one sustains a bruise due to fall on a road or playground, the nursing assistant firstly cleans it with a cotton dipped in H202 due to which lot of froth is generated dislodging muck from the injury.

This chemical is nothing but water with an extra oxygen atom. In presence of dust, this chemical loses its oxygen atom due to which the froth is created.

For really dirty records, I suggest one of you can try this. After spreading the isoprophyl alcohol+water+detergent combination to soak up the muck, (Not too much, just to soak up the muck which would absorb the mixture) H2O2 can be applied which would totally dislodge all dust particles which can be wiped away and the vinyls can be rinsed in distilled water.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back