Suggestion for record cleaning Bath

Hi Saurabh,
yep I made that contraption with lot of enthusiasm but I don't use it anymore. I don't think that a soft carbon fibre brush is a good idea for wet cleaning. It is only fine fro dry brushing.
Thanks.

but I think the idea of using a high quality soft sponge is good,...when it comes to wet cleaning, lot of record cleaning machine also have sponge in 'em...
well I use sponge when it comes to wet cleaning of records....

right now don't like the isopropyl alcohol cos of smell and don't like to handle it cos its a chemical, so will prob order disc doctor fluid concentrate in a while.

regards

Will there be any problems importing liquids ? Actually if a couple of people are interested you could try to arrange a group order and share costs

I'm kind of worried lately if some old records I played have caused any damage to the needle. Getting a bit of pops and crackles lately though it could be just dust

Will there be any problems importing liquids ? Actually if a couple of people are interested you could try to arrange a group order and share costs

I'm kind of worried lately if some old records I played have caused any damage to the needle. Getting a bit of pops and crackles lately though it could be just dust

hi bottle,

its more likely your needle will do damage to the record :) have you cleaned your records with some sort of cleaning fluid routine? and do you have a carbon fibre brush? very useful for gathering up stray loose dust just before play. old records will have a bit of noise left over perhaps cos of misuse, simple age. if its too much see if a wet recleaning helps.

importing liquids shouldn't be a problem i guess. if somebody wants to organize the group buy no issues. am a little too tied up to organize something right now and i'd rather stay clear. i've seen group buys disintegrate quite fast hehe. if its just you and me i'll keep you in mind when i order.

regards

Wet cleaning done with water, soap, sponge. Looks like I need to get more hardcore. These are stuff I picked up used so I guess the dust etc would have been permanently engraved in the grooves!

Yesterday, I met with one vinyl collector who said he uses Collins liquid cleaner and then wipes the record with a soft cloth. The other advise he gave was to especially wipe the beginning of the record as the needle first comes in contact there.
Manoj

Yesterday, I met with one vinyl collector who said he uses Collins liquid cleaner and then wipes the record with a soft cloth. The other advise he gave was to especially wipe the beginning of the record as the needle first comes in contact there.
Manoj

Sacrilege! Dude, this is the worst thing to do to your LPs... its better to wash with plain mildly warm water, then wipe dry with soft cloth. After that lay then under a fan for 1 hr and then play.

This takes out almost 99% of the gunk.

Guys...try to use microfiber cloth if you can. It is soft and doesn't leave any lint behind. You can get the micro fiber cloth at most eye glass stores easily.

Alternatively, please invest in some kind of record cleaning machine if you can. Nitty Gritty, VPI, Loricraft....it will make your analog life much easier AND improve the sound quality at the same time.

Manav, put a VPI 16.5 on your "to buy" list. It is going to become indispensable for you, the direction you are heading in.

Last edited:
Guys...try to use microfiber cloth if you can. It is soft and doesn't leave any lint behind. You can get the micro fiber cloth at most eye glass stores easily.

Alternatively, please invest in some kind of record cleaning machine if you can. Nitty Gritty, VPI, Loricraft....it will make your analog life much easier AND improve the sound quality at the same time.

Manav, put a VPI 16.5 on your "to buy" list. It is going to become indispensable for you, the direction you are heading in.

yea man. i can already feel the need for it.... Its on my list, but, need to get some essential upgrades first.... The VPI or the Clearaudio Vinyl cleaner is certainly on the list!

Any idea if we can get affordable cleaning machines here in India (Mumbai more specifically)? Also, how much would the cheapest one set you back? I definitely need one! I have to clean each record before playing since I live right by the sea and my TT doesn't have a dust cover :(

hi tek,

contact sridhar of odyssey. he has/had a decent deal on vpi rcms. i say had cos at that time he was pooling shipments for another guy i know. and not sure of prices if its an individual buy. check with him. the vpi's a good machine too.

if you also want to import a kit, look at moth audio machines.

nitty gritty is done by prithvi, again in bangalore.

though considering you're by the sea you could probably lean out of your window and wash the lps in the pristine bombay sea eh? :D

regards

yea man. i can already feel the need for it.... Its on my list, but, need to get some essential upgrades first.... The VPI or the Clearaudio Vinyl cleaner is certainly on the list!

The Clearaudio design is taken directly from the VPI design :) I'd say get the original. There are VPI 16 and 16.5 machines in the field for more than 16 years and going strong.

Hi guys,
after a long wait more than two months today finally my VPI 16.5 record cleaning machine arrived. Took the plunge straight away and cleaned 4 records. I must say the records look clean but yet to try how do they sound after cleaning. I must say yhe cleaning process is lot of fun. The only drawback is only one mat can be used due to height constrain below the vacuam rod so the clean side needs to be rested on the dirty mat on which the dirty ide was resting before. Although I have a seprate mat but it seems the stock mat is rigidly attached so can't be removed easily. I find it a bit strange but that's the way it is.
Thanks.

congrats mahiruha!

do post how the records sound after cleaning! the changing mats is one of the main reasons i'll go in for the moth when i do buy a cleaner. you should be able to change mats or use another one i've read plenty of people say they do this on audiogon you can check there.

regards

congrats mahiruha!

do post how the records sound after cleaning! the changing mats is one of the main reasons i'll go in for the moth when i do buy a cleaner. you should be able to change mats or use another one i've read plenty of people say they do this on audiogon you can check there.

regards

Hi Steven,
thanks. Well finally played some vinyls after cleaning them in the RCM and fan drying for 3 hours. It is the album Disco Diwane and Young Tarang by Nazia Hassan which I got last week. I must say the sound is superb. Very quiet and it sounded almost new. This album I used to enjoy a lot when I was a kid. This record cleaning machine is truly wonderful makes the job so easy. Regarding mat it has adhesive on the other side and kind of glued to the platter. so it is really difficult to take it out. If you are careful then using only mat doesn't pose too much of a problem. I am using the cleaning solution provided by VPI and I think it also played its role in the improvement of the performence. Anyway stocks got heavily washed today all over the world. I am keeping my focus diverted washing vinyls.:)
Thanks.

Hi,

I recently cleaned my records from AMWAY Car Wash.The result is excellent.Lp's are sounding like new.Amway car wash is very mild and doesn't harm LP's.

Hi Saurabh,
sponge is good but it just doesn't have enough to do the job. The product I use and can highly recommend is
3M India : Scotch-Brite : Non-Scratch Scrub Sponge

I normally use it to gently scrub the recrd.

If you have good results with sponge no need to worry.:)
Thanks.

I found this 3m product at Spencers in the South city mall. Want to double check if the granular side can be used for scrubbing the LP's.

Thanks

Hi Mksharan,

Yes it can, its non scratch. Do it gently and rinse between LPs so as not to carry any dust granule on it that might scratch the next one :)

regards

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back