Suggestions Appreciated for buying gaming console

Optical will not carry HD audio to the receiver.

Depends on what receiver the OP has. If the Denon receiver can take HD audio input via HDMI, then it would make better sense to connect PS3 to Denon through HDMI for HD audio formats found in most recent blu-rays.

Of course, for gaming, OPTICAL out to Denon should be good enough.

optical was the only way to have uncompressed audio before HDMI even existed, they both carry the same signals,from my persoal opinion and i have been using optical and HDMi for a decade now,optical just seems to a bit more clear or crisper sound compareded to HDMI hence i prefer optical.

One more point in consideration would be to go through the "exclusives" game library of each PS3 and Xbox360. PS3 seems to have more adventure based exclusives like Last of us, Uncharted, Beyond: Two souls. Xbox 360 has one of the best action games ever Halo.

I went for a PS3 because it comes with a bluray drive. For larger sized games, you have to swap discs in Xbox 360 (I heard that for a couple of games)

Xbox controller is ergonomically better than PS3, but after sometime you get used to it.

PS3 comes with a wireless controller by default and with an inbuilt battery....

Move is good but as someone rightly said for Kinect, after the initial excitement wears off, it just gathers dust (like mine is too).

Would not suggest PS4/Xbox One at this moment because its the first version, remember both PS3 and Xbox360 first versions had some issues. Plus if you haven't been gaming on current gen, you have almost 7-8 years of titles to choose from. And still new titles are released.

Cost factor:pS3 machine is half the price of PS4. The most expensive game of PS3 is cheaper by Rs. 1000/- of PS4 (I think)

PS: Sorry, after posting I noticed that the OP already bought PS3....

Congratulations!!!

Last edited:
Yeah saini or zervinb i have currently connected PS3 to LG 3D TV using Blekins cable as suggested in the shop. I will any ways connect an optical out from PS3 to the Denon check the difference. Will share the output today :)

I have a Denon receiver with HDTV and PS3. I dont know which model of Denon you have, but I connect it this way:

PS3>HDMI>Denon>HDMI>TV

All my other devices such as Airtel DTH, Blu ray player are also connected to Denon through HDMI which I feel is a simple enough setup. This way, it also allows me to use my tv remote for all purposes (in most cases).

Hope this helps.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back