Suggestions for avr

Dr.Lakshay

Hello guys, I currently have a very old home theater system which is a Sony system with cassette and cd player with bookshelf speakers.
Also I have a Sony DVD player with integrated hard disk which is comparitively new and I want to retain this. (have attached image.)
364ebf9fd4f73799b665ab5116e7aa11.jpg

Now I am contemplating to change to a new avr as the current one is very old Atleast 15 years old.
Have attached an image of the system I currently have. (image taken from internet)
45fb1e9899fb81f9fcd7a3e08c32f978.jpg

So I want opinion from you guys. What should I do? Upgrade to a new avr and use these old speakers and later upgrade the speakers? Or do it all together.
Would not put a high budget on the upgrade. Wouldn't want anything above 30k as of now. But the lower the better.
To give you an idea it is a small room but with one side open and I can use only bookshelf speakers.
19d8fa17dc744eae915d9f5adc5b38a0.jpg

I have very little knowledge regarding this and would really like to get all the opinion I can get.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You need to check the specs of the speakers and see if they are compatible with entry level AVR. But entry level AVR with HDR, hdcp, etc will set you back by at least 40k.
Do you mean to say you can only use the front bookshelves? No center, no surrounds? Then probably you are better off with a soundbar for predominantly movies, or integrated amp for predominantly music.
Blu-ray player remains irrespective of above.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

You need to check the specs of the speakers and see if they are compatible with entry level AVR. But entry level AVR with HDR, hdcp, etc will set you back by at least 40k.
Do you mean to say you can only use the front bookshelves? No center, no surrounds? Then probably you are better off with a soundbar for predominantly movies, or integrated amp for predominantly music.
Blu-ray player remains irrespective of above.

The speakers are 6 ohms each and should be compatible.
Currently even my surround speakers are kept about 3 feet vertically above the front bookshelf speakers. Can't keep the surround speakers at the back because the seating area is against the back wall as the room is a small area.
Don't want to go for a sound bar. There might be a possibility of making a dedicated home theater room but that is far fetched dream.
But for now I would like to get an avr which is as much future proof as possible (in terms of latest technology) in the budget. Then I would upgrade the speakers too or may be simultaneously if something really good strikes.
I saw this pioneer vsx 330 avr : https://www.hifimart.com/pioneer-vsx-330-av-receiver.html?search=pioneer&description=true
How is this according to my needs?

Why not to get good HTIB as there may be limitation to arrange speakers(seeing picture).Even sony speakers can be connected to it.
I have tried philips bs speakers with yamaha htib at friend's place and it wasnt bad match.

Vsx 330 will do the job but it doesn't have hdcp or HDR support. So it is not future proof at all. For Blu-ray (non4k) and downloaded file playback, it should be ok.

The speakers are 6 ohms each and should be compatible.

If it is 6 Ohms, then you can safely re-use all the speakers with the new AVR..

Currently even my surround speakers are kept about 3 feet vertically above the front bookshelf speakers. Can't keep the surround speakers at the back because the seating area is against the back wall as the room is a small area.

But for now I would like to get an avr which is as much future proof as possible (in terms of latest technology) in the budget.

Consider Pioneer VSX 832 - https://www.hifimart.com/pioneer-vsx-832-av-receiver.html?search=pioneer&description=true

It is a 5.1 AVR, above your budget by 10K, but has flexible layout options.. Either standard 5.1 layout (or) 3.1.2(Over heads), which exactly coincides with your requirement..

It also has Dts X & Dolby Atmos, which is otherwise seen in a 7.1 AVR..

You can then look at adding a center channel speaker for say 2K, to cut down costs (Pick any Sony 6 ohms speaker from OLX and add it as center channel)..

Then I would upgrade the speakers too or may be simultaneously if something really good strikes.

You can consider adding a subwoofer (missing link) before upgrading speakers..Upgrade in this fashion, should satisfy your needs..

First of all sorry for the late reply.

Why not to get good HTIB as there may be limitation to arrange speakers(seeing picture).Even sony speakers can be connected to it.
I have tried philips bs speakers with yamaha htib at friend's place and it wasnt bad match.

Does a htib give any benefit rather than separates? Will it give better VFM?
What I feel is separate avr and speakers gives me better flexibility over the years.

Vsx 330 will do the job but it doesn't have hdcp or HDR support. So it is not future proof at all. For Blu-ray (non4k) and downloaded file playback, it should be ok.

Well I might seem to ask stupid questions here but What exactly is HDR and hdcp? What are they used for?

If it is 6 Ohms, then you can safely re-use all the speakers with the new AVR..

Consider Pioneer VSX 832 - https://www.hifimart.com/pioneer-vsx-832-av-receiver.html?search=pioneer&description=true

It is a 5.1 AVR, above your budget by 10K, but has flexible layout options.. Either standard 5.1 layout (or) 3.1.2(Over heads), which exactly coincides with your requirement..

It also has Dts X & Dolby Atmos, which is otherwise seen in a 7.1 AVR..

You can then look at adding a center channel speaker for say 2K, to cut down costs (Pick any Sony 6 ohms speaker from OLX and add it as center channel)..

You can consider adding a subwoofer (missing link) before upgrading speakers..Upgrade in this fashion, should satisfy your needs..
Your suggestions do make sense. I guess this pioneer is the cheapest avr I could get with dolby atmos and dtx. Are these features necessary or what are they basically?

I was looking at denon avr s-930h and the features it lists out is really impressive and makes me feel like these are the features I need to have to be future proof.

HDR means high dynamic range and hdcp is high definition copy protection. You can Google for details.
If you are going to play normal Blu-ray (not 4k) and not playing Amazon prime, Netflix, etc then these are immaterial.
S930h is not an Indian model. For indian future proof you can look at Yamaha rxv 483 (no Dolby Atmos), yamaha rxv 583, denon x1400(with Dolby Atmos).

I guess this pioneer is the cheapest avr I could get with dolby atmos and dtx. Are these features necessary or what are they basically?

You were looking to future proof the AVR.. Dolby Atmos & Dts X are superseding surround formats for the next decade of entertainment, which is aval in this AVR..

Any Bluray Disc, BR Rips would most likely contain one of these formats as standard..

I was looking at denon avr s-930h and the features it lists out is really impressive and makes me feel like these are the features I need to have to be future proof.

You are looking at 7.2 AVR, which you will not be able to accommodate in your budget..Also it is a US specific model..

Denon 930h has Atmos & DTS x in the form of 7.1, which is also aval in Pioneer 832, but limited to 5.1..

Hello guys, I had put my avr purchase on hold to look for someone to get an avr from usa.
Now I want suggestions on which avr to go for under 350$.
I have shortlisted the below two models:
1. Yamaha RX V681BL
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V6...Cast-Bluetooth/dp/B01BY7YUKI/?tag=hcg-deal-20
2. Denon AVR X1300W
https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X1300W-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B01EHWFE3O/?tag=hcg-deal-20
I tend to like the Yamaha more as it is more reliable (from what I have read), has av in and has video upscaling.
If you guys have any other suggestions under 350$ it is highly welcome.
My usage would be 50% music and 50% movies. Please suggest what would be more appropriate.
Thank you.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back