Suggestions for Optimal HomeTheatre dimensions

Rakesh123

Hi all,
I am looking to build a dedicated room for my HT, Currently using in my living room.I want to get suggestions on
1.)Optimal HomeTheate dimensions to be viewed by max 8 people.
2.) Planning to build this on my terrace,Want to know if I can prefer using sheets(Metal roofing sheets) for my roof over RCC slab as my understanding is acoustic treatment should take care of this and in the context of keeping the cost low.

Need your suggestions on the above.

Last edited:
Yes. Metal sheets can be used. But you need to spend more for the false ceiling and sound/thermal insulation below the roof. Even after doing all these you may get vibration/rattling sound if the workmanship is not proper.

For 8 seats you need to place the chairs in two rows.

For real cinematic experience you need a projector and separate pre/power amp (No AVR)

Yes. Metal sheets can be used. But you need to spend more for the false ceiling and sound/thermal insulation below the roof. Even after doing all these you may get vibration/rattling sound if the workmanship is not proper.

For 8 seats you need to place the chairs in two rows.

For real cinematic experience you need a projector and separate pre/power amp (No AVR)
Thanks for your response.

Seems like better to be off with sheets and prefer RCC for roof.
What would be the ideal dimensions of the HT room planned for 8 people?

This is one good project with similar concept... well documented and executed.

3 feet space on either side of seats = 6 feet
2.5 feet per recliner ( common handle) x 4 seats = 10 feet.
16 feet wide- minimum
Thanks for your response.

What should be the length of the room? Height I assume 10 feet is ok, Did you consider acoustic treatment in the width you recommended.

For a 120" screen the viewing distance should be around 16-18 feet. Since you are going to arrange two rows of seats, 20-25 should be the ideal length of the room. 16' width is good enough to accommodate acoustic panels

For a 120" screen the viewing distance should be around 16-18 feet. Since you are going to arrange two rows of seats, 20-25 should be the ideal length of the room. 16' width is good enough to accommodate acoustic panels
That's 30 ° angle of view. (120" screen from 16 feet distance)
Way too low..

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back