Suggestions for solid core cable

Very much agree with views of jls001

As he said it becomes very system dependent and personal taste also matters.

Tonality with solid core cables is really good

The difference wont be huge with any cables but the small changes made takes the overall experience a notch above

We need a way whereby we can add/remove solid core wires at runtime for both hot and return so that we can arrive at what works best by trying combinations. Anyone got an idea/suggestions on how to achieve this?

The unease....had never thought in the past that i would be spending on cables reasonable amount of money and that too in short span of time of just one month. One cable, then another and then yet another and so on just to be at ease and still not satisfied.[emoji19]

Shifting the amplifier location had made it mandatory bcos old cables were getting short in length.

Before starting the research to buy, had joined and hooked some very old cables to existing one. Obviously sound degraded and the feeling of unease. Still had not bottomed down what to buy so purchased normal speaker cables from electrician shop and joined with my original cables which were falling ahort of length. Improvement noticed over the previous joint. But somewhere in mind the unease that it is not a single run cable and has a joint.[emoji17]

Then finally shortlisted and bought the chord silverscreen. [emoji4]
Initial listening impressions did not like and more unease on the buy since i had to buy a large length. [emoji22]

Then someone suggested solid core cable. Hunted and got from a local electrician. Definitely local brand and can expect normal quality copper. After few days listening sessions and comparing AB with all previous combinations put it back on the shelf.[emoji32]

Now i had the chord silverscreen and old cable joint with local brand cable for few days and daily doing AB comparison.

In all these permutation combination and speaker shifting etc, i messed with the phantom centre and it took another few days to set it. [emoji25] Lot if unease during those days when the phantom centre and soundstage got messed around.

Also had diy rca cable from cat5 in these days but again put that to shelf since the cat5 came out to be stranded rather than solid core.[emoji36]

Yesterday purchased another apeaker cable which is foreign brand and non twisted pair with 13 awg and lot of strands. Listening tests sound satisfactory. Daily doing AB comparison with this one and chord silverscreen.

Had never expected that i will continuously keep on spending on cables. The unease keeps you evolving it seems....[emoji56]

Last edited:
As tried by and novel idea suggested by Joshua, soldered one rca cable made with transformer wire (enamelled wire ) of 36 awg. Just now completed at late night.

Wow.....sounds sooo natural......[emoji56][emoji4][emoji4]

That was the first impression. Could not listen for extended session due to night and also had to listen on low volume. Will post further impressions tomorrow...

i am just wondering
all these trials ( with rca cable ) are with unshelided solid cores ???

i am just wondering

At least my implementation is unshielded.

Perfectly OK for line level signal (no unwanted interference observed even when cables are running in the vicinity of power cables), but it will be a no go for phono applications.

i am just wondering

just my opinion and practice that I stay away from shielding because it takes away polish of the sound; makes it little dull. I experimented this and then took the call.

On solid core cables, I have posted my impression somewhere with title as 'Tainted Ears'. All these years, listening to stranded and bad wires, we have got habituated of listening to wrong sound. As for base, the way I think is that base should be listenable not shaking the windows. Most of our Indian recordings do not have that BIG bass however; that does not mean that they do not have GOOD bass.

After switching to solid core, I tried to switch back to some renowned speaker cable and it did not work. They all made the sound sparky (which really not is the case with the recording at all) and muddled something in the mid-range disturbing the separation.

Last edited:
i am just wondering

Yes...even my implementation of it is unshielded. As Joshua mentioned even though power cable is lying beside and no intereference...same here. Currently my wires are in open air... No cotton sleeve or any kind over those 36awg enamelled wires.

Agree with bornfi. Stranded wires now sound little artificial.

Thanks to bornfi ...he had insisted on single core when i was looking for new cables. Speaker cables i had tried single core but they were local brand and not quality copper hence i sound degraded and i removed them from the system.

Then thanks to Joshua...after reading his experience on enamelled wire (for rca cable), i got an opportunity to try again single core concept...atleast for rca . It was seeming diy and doable so went ahead and tried and i must say i am happy now. (Touch wood). Atleast something in the chain is sibgle core [emoji4].

Next i think i will try speaker wire with enamelled wire but thicker. Instead of using local quality copper single core wire having notmal pvc insulation...(which i have already tried) i think enamelled wire concept would be better...assuming the copper quality would be better in comparison.

Hmm
I had a diff experience
My experience with local solid core was not promising
Speaker cable or RCA - ( to be fair I tried it years ago when fm Dinyaar had loaned them to me )
The vdh (sp cable and carbon hybrid RCA) sounded nicer

But to give it another shot
I got these yesterday
cdWiCqG.jpg

Spc - reference
From acoustic revive -

And
These
RCA pair
https://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/singlecore/
Should come in 2 days as well

Should be Intresting to compare with another cable I have
Bastani

Spc - reference
From acoustic revive -

Very, very good cables. Best I've ever heard in my setup. This was the cable that convinced me that there's something to solid core and the much touted PCCOC annealing process. I liked it more than the Oyaide 2000.

Here's how my prototype 40 SWG interconnect looks:

ue6oQXW.jpg

Thinner than a hair, and as unruly and difficult to handle:) but sounding very good. Open, nice tight bass, as resolving as any cable I have tried, but most most of all a very beautiful tonality.

What it needs is some means to permanently separate the two wires by about 3/4", while also giving it some protection for mechanical strength without introducing unnecessary dielectric.

PS: I think this wire will work very well as tonearm internal wire. Must try when I have energy.

How about using transparent insulation(thin hollow pipe like which is probably available locally) and inserting the wires inside of that, just like you use interconnect made of silver wire.

How about using transparent insulation(thin hollow pipe like which is probably available locally) and inserting the wires inside of that, just like you use interconnect made of silver wire.

Ideally I would love to use transparent, flexible Teflon tubing but whatever Teflon tubing I've been able to find in the market are quite inflexible and seems to have stranding for strength (like in some hose pipes). So I'm sticking to loose cotton tubing. Also, AFAIK, pure, unbleached cotton is the better dielectric material.

Very thin. The wires for IC are literally hair thin.

Of course speaker wires are thicker (18 AWG).

Finally i purchased today enamelled wire to use as speaker wire. [emoji4]

Got the wire from local electrical shop. Not sure about the exact gauge but could be 20/22/18. Initial listening was at night hence could not listen much and that too was in low volume. First impressions are the usual onces related to difference between stranded and single core. So now my IC is also single core which i started few months back and now even the speaker wire also single core.

Last edited:
OK, so I went and bought 18 AWG solid core transformer wire. Cut 4 lengths of 2.1m, scrapped off the enamel coating at the ends and inserted into the amp and speaker binding posts. It sounds very good.

Differences from existing speaker cables are:

1) Bass quantity is more with transformer wire. But it sounds a bit bloated and doesn't (yet?) have good definition and texture.

2) The transformer wire is less resolving

3) The transformer wire's highs are on the rougher side.

4) It is also a bit forward sounding compared to existing cables, which could mean its midrange is slightly bumped up.

All the above observations sound to me like the symptoms of fresh cables, so it ought to improve with more hours. It's a dirt cheap experiment (Rs 10 per meter so total cost is just Rs 42). I will run these wires for now and see how they sound after say a couple of weeks. The wire is some brand called Nemani Wires from MP.

Was just going through some old threads and came across this one. A very surreal moment for me as I am the owner of Mimani Wires , which is situated in Indore.

We are one of the leading enamelled wire manufactures in the country. Almost all decent branded copper wire manufacturers use 99.95% purity copper. OFC has a purity of 99.99%.

Though we do not make PVC wire , I would be happy to suggest workarounds to the same ( like using polywrapped enamelled submersible wires which would provide excellent mechanical resistance against abrasion)

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back