Suggestions pls: AVR plus speakers

gabhru

I've been looking to buy my first home theater but I'm massively confused. Initially thought I can get a good one in about 25k but then realized it will have to go up.

Yamaha 299 seemed like a good one from online reviews but my experience with it at Reliance Digital, Ambience Mall Gurgaon was terrible. Went to MGF Gurgaon today and demoed Yamaha 2910 and I was convinced I don't need this quality after spending so much.

Sony 9200 was one option that came up and I was fine with its audio quality but then I would like to be able to upgrade components in future so AVR+speakers mode is what I should look for, is my understanding.

Have somewhat convinced myself to spend even higher and think about Onkyo 5700 (quoted 67k by CR Park Onkyo dealer). Today I got to know that Onkyo 5805 is Dolby Atmos enabled and was quoted 75k. I'm yet to audition both of them - maybe in few days if I find them on demo somewhere.

My usage would be primarily games and movies. Songs and broadcast TV viewing will be on the lower side.

So, here are my queries.

1. Are those quotations on 5700 and 5805 fine or are they on higher side, and I need to negotiate hard?
2. Any reviews on 5805 especially its Dolby Atmos capabilities with whatever content is available.
3. 5700 has 120w sub-woofer while 5805 has 80w, is it too much of a difference quality-wise? Other speaker specs are same while 5805 has 2 additional upward firing speakers.
4. Should I look to spend 75k on 5805, or would it be better to buy AVR and speakers of different manufacturers? If so, please suggest and restrict options within 75k only. I would prefer to get Dolby Atmos enabled AVR (from future proofing perspective) but then may miss out on DTS:X support - again confused here - pls do guide me if I should save here since most of my viewing would be downloaded content which is mostly upto 5.1.

Look forward to suggestions as I'm fairly new to this category and need direction so that I can demo the right hardware.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi

There are a lot of systems out there in the market and there is stiff competition between brands and combinations....

It is important you audition different brands to get a fair idea of the difference in performance and appearance....you need to carry your kind of music and hear different systems...it also depends on how big is your listening or HT area for the system...

No direct experience with Dolby Atmos as of now except in Demo rooms which are special treated rooms to make sure the effects are felt by listeners or viewers...there could be some forum members who perhaps can share their direct experience as they would already have the setup in place.....

The AVR would minimum need to be a 7.1 / 7.2 to enjoy Dolby Atmos experience and ofcourse the speakers need also to be factored in....

Would suggest first make up you mind for a budget to spend....check out available systems, shortlist what fits your requirement and then finalise what you want to own....

If Budget is a challenge and you are not too sure which system you want, there are good systems being sold by some of our members...check out the For Sale by Owner section and Hifi Ads .com......there would be something available to suit your requirements...all the best!

I'm in the same journey as you are .. started with Onkyo 3300 demo in CR park .. liked primarily as it was the first one that i heard. Then 5805, nice sound but don't thin i will do justice to the Atmos technology as I mostly see downloaded content. Heard Yamaha 2910, didn't enjoy it... now exploring combos' Denon 520BT, Yamaha FS, Polk Sub ...still not finalized on anything .. i still want to hear the 5700 but not available any where so can't decide ... i've come to a stage where everything sounds the same ... till i hear two systems next to each other i can't decide which one is better .. so now i have zeroed on a budget 65k and see what options that I have ... audition them hopefully will be able to decide .. .you can PM me and we can exchange contacts so that we join forces to get the best deal.
My experience so far .. the more time you spend looking for the right system the more clarity you get ...so enjoy the journey...:)

I'm in the same journey as you are .. started with Onkyo 3300 demo in CR park .. liked primarily as it was the first one that i heard. Then 5805, nice sound but don't thin i will do justice to the Atmos technology as I mostly see downloaded content. Heard Yamaha 2910, didn't enjoy it... now exploring combos' Denon 520BT, Yamaha FS, Polk Sub ...still not finalized on anything .. i still want to hear the 5700 but not available any where so can't decide ... i've come to a stage where everything sounds the same ... till i hear two systems next to each other i can't decide which one is better .. so now i have zeroed on a budget 65k and see what options that I have ... audition them hopefully will be able to decide .. .you can PM me and we can exchange contacts so that we join forces to get the best deal.
My experience so far .. the more time you spend looking for the right system the more clarity you get ...so enjoy the journey...:)

Glad to find someone in the same boat. Me and my office colleagues went to the CR Park store last week to demo 5700 and 7705. He wasted most of the time setting things up - spent 1.5 hr in which over 1 hr was spent in setting up.

He had sealed 5700 and 7705 (quoted 85k) but was willing to open up the box for demo only if we intend to buy. Not sure what that meant, we told him we will buy only if we like it. Eventually, we were not given demo for those.

Yesterday, I got to know about 5805 at MGF. Called this guy back and blasted him for not telling me about this model. He has agreed to open the sealed box and give us a demo on Tuesday.

I'll also be watching downloaded movies mostly, games are also not Dolby Atmos capable yet and most importantly DTS-X is yet to arrive - so likely to ask for 5700 demo. Someone somewhere mentioned its price at 52k here on hifivision so will give him that as my final figure, if I like the system that is.

Will let know if I visit there and get a demo.

Went for Onkyo 5700 demo. Sampled Fast and Furious 7, The Perfect Storm, Agneepath, LOTR 3, Jurassic Park. Listened to some songs - Imaginary Girl - Irfan Khan, Boond Boond (Roy), Lean-on, Mahi ve - Highway, Arijit Singh's songs from Barfi and Haider.

The movies were good. Bass was very nice, speakers handled high volume well, clear dialogues, clean booms, sounds of stormy weather were handled well. Saw T-rex's first attack scene with kids in car in JP - dino roar was awesome.

Agneepath - asked him to play Ganesh song which has lots of beats and jingles - was not impressed with the outcome - while bass was effective, it lacked on treble front missing out on jingles from that steel-music-instrument (sorry can't recall its name). The store guy increased the treble but it still did not sound live enough to me.

Experience with the songs was also not satisfactory - beats were good but they just did not sound live enough. Not sure if issue was with the speakers or settings. He tried 3 different modes - stereo, multi-channel with all speakers playing and one where vocals played from center while music from rest of the speakers.

Was quoted 59k for 5700. Asked him if I can take 5805 but swap the subwoofer with that of 5700. 5700 has 120w woofer while 5805 has 80w. He quoted 75k for 5805 with 5700's sub-woofer.

Now confused what to do.

Why dont you try some other brands as well? Onkyo 5700 is definately a good package but considering he is not offering much discount you can look elsewhere. Is he the only dealer in Delhi? Minimum discount dealers give is 10% atleast. So try and tell him that its cheaper elsewhere. Also contact onkyo on email regarding this.

Onkyo 5805 seems a better fit as compared to 5700, considering you are getting Dolby Atmos with 5805.
There is another Onkyo dealer in Gurgaon, MGF Mall. You may try auditioning there and check if you get a better deal then the CR Park dealer.

Why dont you try some other brands as well? Onkyo 5700 is definately a good package but considering he is not offering much discount you can look elsewhere. Is he the only dealer in Delhi? Minimum discount dealers give is 10% atleast. So try and tell him that its cheaper elsewhere. Also contact onkyo on email regarding this.

Onkyo 5805 seems a better fit as compared to 5700, considering you are getting Dolby Atmos with 5805.
There is another Onkyo dealer in Gurgaon, MGF Mall. You may try auditioning there and check if you get a better deal then the CR Park dealer.

I would like to try other brands but I'm very new to this category, hence am seeking suggestions here. Willing to spend about 60k.

I have visited MGF Mall, Reliance Digital (Ambiance Mall, Ggn) and this CR Park dealer - have not been shown much options. MGF outlet had nothing to show in my budget. Reliance Digital had Yamaha 299 and Sony HTs (which he was pushing - models 7200 and 9200).

CR Park outlet had Onkyo 3700, 5700 and 5805. I'm not interested in 3700 due to passive woofer. I was initially quoted 67k for 5700 and 75k for 5805. When I told him nobody pays MRP, he reduced the price to 59k for 5700, 75k for 5805 (with 5700's subwoofer which has higher wattage and sounds better). I'm sure he will come down bit further as and when I'm ready to swap the card.

I've been thinking about 5805 due to Dolby Atmos support but then I would have to spend 16k extra, there is not much content available and there is no word on it ever supporting DTS-X through firmware update. Once the technology matures and there is more content, I can buy it then at hopefully lesser premium. Also the fact that I would mostly be watching downloaded content, atleast in near future.

I've been thinking about 5805 due to Dolby Atmos support but then I would have to spend 16k extra, there is not much content available and there is no word on it ever supporting DTS-X through firmware update. Once the technology matures and there is more content, I can buy it then at hopefully lesser premium. Also the fact that I would mostly be watching downloaded content, atleast in near future.

Onkyo 5805 is a good choice only if you have Atmos contents to plan on.. or else it will just waste of money for you as you said the majority of the contents are downloaded (5.1 at the max).

You may consider other options like Pioneer, Yamaha etc.. I recently bought my customized HT after a long research on net & here.

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/61560-finally-bought-my-new-customize-ht.html

You didn't mentioned about the room size. Mine is 16x20 feets hence i went for tower speakers.

Initially, i was also stuck on the 1st model which i liked (Pioneer Todoroki speakers sets) but then after i changed my mind. Look for other options mate :)

Let us know if you finalize something.

Hi Giri,

Congrats !!! You seems to have increased your budget quite a lot. How much did the entire system cost?

Thank you,

Yes I increased my budget rapidly and its more than five times to my initial view!:eek:hyeah:

x1200 is a nice avr (I didn't used any before other than this). My setup is very nice for 70% movies and 30% music. Now exploring and enjoying my HT. I updated photos. You can check it once again.

Went to Trinity Sound and Vision at Kirti Nagar (Delhi) for audition with a budget of 1 lac. Got following quotation.

Polk Audio TSX 330 - 32k
Polk Audio Centre 150 - 12k
Polk Audio Rear OWM 3 - 14k
Polk Audio Sub 125 - 24k
Denon X1200- 54k

Total Cost - 136k
- Discount - 24k
+ Cabling - 8k
Net Cost - 120k

I liked the audition but the fronts installed were 440. I had heard 330 few months back and had liked them too but not sure how much would be the difference with this setup. The sub that was playing was Pro 660 which I just got to know so there must be a lot of difference in sound quality there.

Please suggest if quoted setup is decent for movies/games and occasional music. Or should I look for some other brand in any of the components.

Also comment on the final price. One of the forum member had told me that he sells x1200 @ 40k so 14k is the discount right there and 10k elsewhere. How much is the scope of negotiation in this?

Setup2: For strictly 1 lac budget, he suggested Denon x1200 (54k) with Polk Audio T50 5.1 setup (60k) - 20k discount + 6k cabling - 1 lac

Last edited:
My local Denon dealer is quoting 47k for x1200w, with bill and warranty. If I can procure it for 47k here, you should definitely get it for a better deal than this in Delhi.

He has mentioned discount on overall package only.
Can you pls ask like how much discount on 330t and 440t?
X1200 price will get low as new model x1300 ha been launched .

Trinity has other speaker brand also?

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

Can you pls ask like how much discount on 330t and 440t?
X1200 price will get low as new model x1300 ha been launched .

Trinity has other speaker brand also?

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

Apart from Polk Audio, I saw some Tannoy speakers. You may speak with the concerned person @ 091363 69456.

Hi

ProFx are dealers of Polk speakers and usually they rope in 10-20% discount along with warranty.....check again....

Denon X1200 W is available online on Amazon for 43-44k......price has reduced....

Hi

ProFx are dealers of Polk speakers and usually they rope in 10-20% discount along with warranty.....check again....

Denon X1200 W is available online on Amazon for 43k-44k......price has reduced....

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back