Suggestions required for audiophile setup

anzac

Hi all ,

I am in the process of integrating my first audiophile setup and have decided upon the following combination after my own research and also inputs from some acoustic guys . However , want to run the same by y'all before i finally go and spend the bucks :

Room Size : 12ft x 10ft
Music:Movies - 100:0

Receiver - Yamaha R-S500 Integrated amp . (pertinent to mention that my original choice was Denon or NAD purely based on sound quality . But I am given to understand that both these brands do not have a service center in Kolkata and as such servicing is (a) time taking and (b)costly . Yamaha on the contrary has 2 service centers in Kolkata and as such I expect to have a better grip on the flow of events .)

Speakers : Polk Audio TSX440 towers . (I have heard good things about the Wharfdale atlantic 400 , but I am not getting a demo anywhere in Calcutta )

CD Player : Cambridge Audio Sonata dr30 . (I was planning on a yamaha bluray player but I have been told , and I have no clue on this as I am only a newbie , that I shouldn't go for a Blu Ray player for playing Audio CDs as they can damage the tracks).

Turntable : Denon 300F or Pioneer PL30 (Both of these are not available in India at this moment so I am planning to order online from Amazon.com .

It can't be anything worse than to listen to someone else and buy your audio setup. Get up and move around to have a listen to what's available in the market and what suits your taste of music and audio quality.

There are number of places in Kolkata to audition proper 2 channel audio. SKS and Harmony Audio are two great place to start with. Set your budget and move around.

Although there is no scientific evidence about BDP ruining CD tracks but why would someone go for that instead of a dedicated CD player when his ratio of usage is Music:Movie - 100:0 ?

When it comes to audio purchase the only thing that works is listen, listen and listen. Take a demo of all the components that you intend to buy and come in your price range.
If you must buy based on opinions, I would suggest stick to a single brand components for audio synergy. You could get a marantz cd6005 along with the pm6005. Pair it with your polks or Dali. The options are unlimited.

I was planning on a yamaha bluray player but I have been told , and I have no clue on this as I am only a newbie , that I shouldn't go for a Blu Ray player for playing Audio CDs as they can damage the tracks.

This sounds like one of the regular con statements made by a dealer or a owner who does not know what he is talking about.

Anzac, no player can destroy or damage any tracks. In any of the CD/DVD/Blu-ray players, there is no physical contact between the reader and the media.

Turntable : Denon 300F or Pioneer PL30 (Both of these are not available in India at this moment so I am planning to order online from Amazon.com .

I am sure there are a number of equally competent turntables available in India.

Cheers

It can't be anything worse than to listen to someone else and buy your audio setup. Get up and move around to have a listen to what's available in the market and what suits your taste of music and audio quality.

There are number of places in Kolkata to audition proper 2 channel audio. SKS and Harmony Audio are two great place to start with. Set your budget and move around.

Although there is no scientific evidence about BDP ruining CD tracks but why would someone go for that instead of a dedicated CD player when his ratio of usage is Music:Movie - 100:0 ?

Harmony Audio - I have been to but had neither polk nor wharfdale for demos .... Whats SKS ? please elaborate

.modern equipments very rarely require service centers.buy the best from your budget and enjoy music

You are in Calcutta ... that is where the distributor of GURU SPEAKERS is located. Go, take an audition using YOUR amp. Guru would thump anything that you are naming here, IMO.

Harmony Audio - I have been to but had neither polk nor wharfdale for demos .... Whats SKS ? please elaborate

Why it have to be Polk and Wharfedale? There are numerous other capable brands and even superior than Polk and Wharfedale.

Open your horizon and look out for other options.

BTW Polk Audio is available with ProFx and Wharfy with SKS Traders. But honestly I would not prefer any of them for pure audio with a budget of around a Lac.

Check out this thread and specially the 2nd post by Spirovious. #SKS

Last edited:
Remember, speaker is (arguably) the most important component in your system. It defines the sound signature of your setup. The amplification, cabling, acoustic all revolves round this pair of wooden box. So choose wisely on basis of sound quality without considering the brand beforehand.

P-L-E-A-S-E go and listen to some setups before you buy. Another place is Harmonie Audio.

I would suggest you listen to some higher range of products also so you can see if it will be worth spending a little more.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back