Suggestions Required - Receivers, Speakers, Setup

sapphire903

Dear All,

This is a very exciting forum, I was looking to buy an HTIB earlier but after reading a lot of posts on this site, I have decided to go ahead with building my own system and I can add on whenever I need to. I have gone through a lot of posts but havent been able progress much.

I will be using it for Movies / TV and listening to music, you can say it would be about 60:40 - and in the living room only (atleast as of now).

- Movies will be played through laptop through HDMI port, TV is already Full HD capable. (suggestions on a good media player is good too)

-Music will be played through USB / Laptop and in the longer run iPOD.

I had started my budget at about 25K or so, but I am willing to go upto 50K, as if I have to build, I might have to spend in that range.

Overall Room Dimensions - 12 Ft X 20 Ft
Actual area used for watching TV/Movies ~12 X 12

I'd like to buy something that covers me for the future advances in technology (atleast the ones we know of, 3D, Blu Ray etc)

I need the suggestions on the following

- What can the ideal power output I should look at (if I am listening to music, I may want the music to be audible to rest of the flat)

- How do I match the receiver + speaker

- Do I invest in 7.2 or 5.1 is good enough

- Any suggestions on media player compatibility (like Seagate, WD - as I have a lot of downloaded HD movies and music - mp3) with receivers

- Any tips and what I should be critically looking at?

- Any audiophiles from Mumbai can suggest where to get these things (if there are "right" places other than Croma, VS.

I have a Sony Bravia 40 inches and a Nintendo Wii

I was looking at various Onkyo's (notably 3300, 307/308), Denon (1911, 1610), Yamaha HT, after looking at them at croma (292, 392). However, I had no clue on how to build the speaker / woofer systems and which companies to go for.

Sorry its a long post, and I may still have missed something.

Looking forward to your help.

Cheers

- What can the ideal power output I should look at (if I am listening to music, I may want the music to be audible to rest of the flat)

This is bad idea. You have to push the amp very hard for this. One sensible option is to use the second zone in the receiver, and you will be be able to listen to music in another room. If you want music across the flat, you have to go for a multi zone system.

- How do I match the receiver + speaker

The best method is to audition a few speakers and see which one you like. Then look at the specifications of the speaker. After that you do a little calculation to decide the amplification required.

dBW = Lreq - Lsens + 20 * Log (D2/Dref) + HR

W = 10 to the power of (dBW / 10)

Where:
Lreq = required SPL at listener
Lsens = loudspeaker sensitivity (1W/1M)
D2 = loudspeaker-to-listener distance
Dref = reference distance
HR = desired amplifier headroom
dBW = ratio of power referenced to 1 watt
W = power required

- Do I invest in 7.2 or 5.1 is good enough

This depends upon room size and budget. For a 12x12, I would suggest you go for a 5.1. Maybe a 5.2 if you want a lot of bass.

- Any suggestions on media player compatibility (like Seagate, WD - as I have a lot of downloaded HD movies and music - mp3) with receivers

I don't understand this question. Almost all media players can play any format. If you are talking about connectivity, you have to look for HDMI, audio out, USB, and Ethernet.

- Any tips and what I should be critically looking at?

This is a very broad question. I would say look for ear comfort when you are auditioning speakers. Your ears are the best judge.

Cheers

Last edited:
This is bad idea. You have to push the amp very hard for this. One sensible option is to use the second zone in the receiver, and you will be bale to listen to music in another room. If you want across the flat, you have to go for a multi zone system.

OK, thanks, thought so but I assume Multi Zone would be very expensive.

The best method is to audition a few speakers and see which one you like. Then look at the specifications of the speaker. After that you do a little calculation to decide the amplification required.

Will do the math, thanks.

This depends upon room size and budget. For a 12x12, I would suggest you go for a 5.1. Maybe a 5.2 if you want a lot of bass.

I don't understand this question. Almost all media players can play any format. If you are talking about connectivity, you have to look for HDMI, audio out, USB, and Ethernet.

Looks like I was a little vague there, sorry about that. What I meant was, can I just use any connectivity method (of the media player, like USB, HDMI etc) and plug it in to Receiver or do I have to use the TV as the medium.

This is a very broad question. I would say look for ear comfort when you are auditioning speakers. Your ears are the best judge.

Yes, planning to do the same.

Thank you for your inputs, any inputs that you have on the receivers / HTIB I have mentioned would be welcome.

Cheers !

OK, thanks, thought so but I assume Multi Zone would be very expensive.

Literally every receiver, other than the entry ones, have multi zone.

Looks like I was a little vague there, sorry about that. What I meant was, can I just use any connectivity method (of the media player, like USB, HDMI etc) and plug it in to Receiver or do I have to use the TV as the medium.

Most media players come with HDMI, so there are no issues here. You connect the media player, and all other sources to the receiver, and you connect one HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV.

Thank you for your inputs, any inputs that you have on the receivers / HTIB I have mentioned would be welcome.

I do not have much idea about HTiBs. In AVRs, the models to look out for are Onkyo 608, Denon 1611 and 1911, and Yamaha 667, 867. This year, Onkyo is kind of ruling the roost followed closely by Yamaha and Denon.

I am sure someone else will help you with HTiB suggestions.

Cheers

Hi Everyone

I have auditioned YHT 292 but really interested in Onkyo 3300 (based on the reviews that I have read on the forum), will audition that in a while.

Just wanted to check, if there is anyway to build a good HT in 25000 with all the frills that come in 3300 (especially future ready and 4 HDMI ports)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back