Suggestions wanted for an Amp between 50 to 60K, Indian Rupees of course!

Maximum

Hi guys, I've been a frequent visitor to this forum over the last few months, I'm going to start building a music system and i've decided my first purchase will be an amp, I'll buy the CD player and speakers subsequently, ie when i have the money!

I'm looking for an integrated amp and my budget is hovers around 50k, I can stretch it to around 60k if i'm bewitched! I listen to all kinds of music, mostly though it's rock and jazz. I'm based in Bangalore.

Your suggestions are invaluable to me! Looking forward to hearing from all of you.

Thank you!

Hi,
Look at amps from Nad(355), Arcam or rotel(RA 04) to start with. If u want something to drive most speakers also consider the Nad pre/power c162/272 so ur choice of speakers is vast. U could try marantz too though i feel their strenght lies in cd players.
Regards

Thank you Dinyaar. I'll check out where I can audition the Nad combo in Bangalore. Which Arcam model do you recommend?

Hi Maximum,

I'd suggest you to try pre-power combo then integrated since you listen to rock, It needs the drive power which an pre-power can easily delever then an integrated,aslo for detailed sound like jazz its always preffered !

Also are you particular bout new or will pre-owned will do coz,If you are Ok with the pre-owned stuff the choice is vast and also the budget that U've allocated can easily allow you to buy every thing at one go instead of buying an amp and sitting with it.

If you want I there are some Pre-power combos thats up for grabs at cheap prices. like Proton Pre-Power,NAD Pre-Power etc in the range of 25-30 K.

Am in bangalore aswell so if are upto it then send me PM we'll take it from there.

Hi Max,
I like the Arcam A70. Not the best drive for the most demanding speakers(50 wpc) but good tonality.
If u like to play loud at most times i really feel u need a big amp and a pre/power from Nad i think is the best bet. I know it gets mediocre reviews here but if it has to be an integrated then the Nad C372 can also be tried. Its 150 WPC and is decent for about 50K.(the arcam @50wpc would retail at that price)
So basically ur requirements and proposed speaker choice will dictate the choice of amplification. If u buy really efficient speakers(90db or more) u can go loud and clean even with a 50 watter.
Regards

Ok will list Arcam A70 and the C372 as ones to try out. This may be off-topic, but is there a compelling reason why pre/power combos are preferred over integrateds?

Hi,
Sure since both the pre and the power are different components, in different chassis having different power supplies there is no chance of the subtle pre circuitry getting clouded by the muscle of the power stage.
The pre powers are cleaner, more stable and offer more flexibility but they cost more so thats the downside.

To confuse u further a good integrated can shame a budget pre power combo but great integrateds come at a much higher price. Examples of moderately priced great integrateds are Primare I 30 , Musical Fidelity A5 etc but they cost much much more than 50K
Regards

Hey!
Since you are in Banglore you should also give Creek 5350SE a listen.
It may be just a bit more than your allocation(65-70) but it is def one to consider.
All the best. Cheers

...a good integrated can shame a budget pre power combo but great integrateds come at a much higher price. Examples of moderately priced great integrateds are Primare I 30 , Musical Fidelity A5 etc but they cost much much more than 50K...

Couldn't agree with you more Dinyaar. IMHO, they are worth the price.

Hi unleash,
Ya i think they are worth it too. U know this time as i have moved apartments and now live in a really small place had decided that a great integrated/great standmounts was the way for me. But the idiot in me just could not. From prom ising my wife that it will be a small compact one box solution i have now bought the Bryston Pre/power combo. And i found the 100 WPC 2BSST too tiny and lacking so i bought the 4BSST which is now not fitting in my rack and hence am now looking for a new rack and a place to hide from my wife!!!!!! HAHAHA
Am taking this opportunity to thank u for ur suggestions and help.
Regards

Ha ha ha...LOL.

No Problem Dinyaar. You are a classic case of audiophilia - way to difficult to cure!

On the brighter side, you are not alone. There are a lot of stereoheads like us around:rolleyes:. So just wake the beast up from stand by, sit back cozy in your recliner and grab that glass of good old red wine - bliss.

Best Regards.

Hi,

The Cambridge Audio 840A V2 will also be in your budget at about Rs. 58000/-. It has been rated very well in the reviews on various sites.

(Note: I have no personal experience with it. In fact, I have no personal experience with any integrated amp)

Regards,
Prasad Redkar.

Thank you for your suggestions. Where can I audition the Creek 5350SE in Bangalore?
What is the Proton brand of amps? I can't seem to find any info about them.
Is the Music Hall A25.2 amp any good?

Hi guys, have moved in from the U.S. and am building my stereo music system?
Wanted info on the following Amps. Naim Nait 5i, Exposure 2010, Musical Fidelity A 5/ A 3.2, Primare I30.
Are there dealers is India? and how do they compare?
Does anybody have any of the above to sell (used/ demo piece) pls PM me.
Regards
Nevil

Hi guys, have moved in from the U.S. and am building my stereo music system?
Wanted info on the following Amps. Naim Nait 5i, Exposure 2010, Musical Fidelity A 5/ A 3.2, Primare I30.
Are there dealers is India? and how do they compare?
Does anybody have any of the above to sell (used/ demo piece) pls PM me.
Regards
Nevil

Hi Nevil,
Naim i dont think is available here yet. The primare is available at soundsmiths, Mumbai and the MF at Boomerang(98200 82910).

In my opinion the primare I 30 is a cracking integrated. Superb tonality and finesse just lacks a little muscle which the MF A5.5 has in abundance. Here them u will be pleased.
Regards

Speakers for Musical Fidelity/ Pimare amp

Thanks Dinyaar,
I am presently in Hyderabad and these places you mentioned are in Bombay/ Delhi i guess.
Can you suggest matching floorstand/ standmount speakers for the Musical Fidelity and Primare amps (60-100K)
Ciao

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back