Sun-film on the car has to be removed

Vijay_s

May 4th onwards sun films of any density not allowed on cars, here is the part of supreme court order.

Para. 23

In light of the above discussion, we have no hesitation in holding that use of black films or any other material upon safety glass, windscreen and side windows is impermissible. In terms of Rule 100(2), 70 per cent and 50 per cent VLT standard are relatable to the manufacture of the safety glasses for the windshields (front and rear) and the side windows respectively. Use of films or any other material upon the windscreen or the side windows is impermissible in law. It is the VLT of the safety glass without any additional material being pasted upon the safety glasses which must conform with manufacture specifications.

Para. 26

26. The manufacturer of the vehicle may manufacture the vehicles with tinted glasses which have Visual Light Transmission (VLT) of safety glasses windscreen (front and rear) as 70 per cent VLT and side glasses as 40 per cent VLT, respectively. No black film or any other material can be pasted on the windscreens and side glasses of a vehicle.
-----------------------
Delhi Police already started their drive on this. Bangalore police given a buffer time of few days. The risk is that many of the cases removing sunfilm without expertise damage defogger on the rear glass.

Can anyone from bangalore recommend me a shop ?

Last edited:
The Drive has already started in Pune. and they have already collected fines totaling 60k

However in Pune the drive is against vehicles with sun films less than 50% visible transmission light for side windows and less than 70% for the rear rear.

Cars that have sunfilm within the permissible limit need not bother

I have V-Kool on Windscreen but any new person doesn't notice it and Garware Icecool on the side windows having VLT of 70%. That means I'm safe.

I have V-Kool on Windscreen but any new person doesn't notice it and Garware Icecool on the side windows having VLT of 70%. That means I'm safe.

Safe until detected. Here is the clarification from Delhi JCP

QUERIES AND QUERIES ON BLACK FILM. People are asking so many questions about films allowed on vehicles. Let me clarify once more. NO FILM OF ANY TRANSPARENCY IS ALLOWED. I thought that should be clear in a line. WHAT IS ALLOWED IS GLASSES BUILT BY MANUFACTURER WITH TRANSPARENCY LEVEL OF 70% FOR FRONT and rear glasses and 50% for side glasses. SO FILMS OF ANY KIND NOT ALLOWED. GLASSES PUT BY MANUFACTURER OF VEHICLE WITH PERMISSIBLE TRANSPARENCY ALLOWED. Hope this clarifies the issue. Now please abide by rules.
Satyendra Garg, Joint CP Traffic

Can anyone from bangalore recommend me a shop ?

I can recommend you to visit Evo at Cambridge Layout. The owner's name is Satya, a very nice friendly guy to help you out on this replacement. I did mine with him last year.

Thanks

When I called my Maruti dealer, he mentioned that details will come through only by May 17th. Does anyone have any other info. My car is not even 6 months old!

For older cars which do not have manufacturer tinted glass;

Do they need to replace their glass if they want sun protection? Cant we retain film which are n accordance with the rules ? I think forcing people to buy manufacturer tinted glass is unfair !

Last edited:
The Hindu : Cities / Bangalore : Sun film with extra tint should be removed from cars before May 19

And Rule 100 of Central Motor Vehicles Act states:

"The glass of the wind screen and rear window of every motor vehicle shall be such and shall be maintained in such a condition that the visual transmission of light is not less than 70%. The glasses used for side windows are such and shall be maintained in such condition that the visual transmission of light is not less than 50% and shall conform to Indian Standards 5[IS: 2553-Part 2-1992];]"

the rule was always there, wasn't it? I see lot of cars with very dark glasses. Most of them owned by politicians, sporting flags of national parties. These are the ones that need to be taken care of. Unfortunately, that will not happen.

Done Garware Icecool all sides just two days back for 9k, hope they will ask me to remove it :-(. Its very light though.

This news has to come in peak of summer.. Looks like a money making exercise.

I still cannot understand how is having tinted glass any better than pasting sun film. Wierd.

Can someone explain?

Also does this rule apply to all vehicles or only vehicles purchased from this month?

This news has to come in peak of summer.. Looks like a money making exercise.

I still cannot understand how is having tinted glass any better than pasting sun film. Wierd.

Can someone explain?

Also does this rule apply to all vehicles or only vehicles purchased from this month?

This Rule Apply to all the vechicles.

Supreme Court order

Para 3

The word tinted means shade or hue as per the dictionary. The
rear and front and side glasses of vehicles are provided with such
shade or tint, and therefore, they are widely referred to as tinted
glasses, which is different from black films. The glasses of the
vehicles having a coating of black films cannot be termed as tinted
glasses because they are not manufactured as such.

Para 8

.......................... Non-availability of electronic devices to measure
violations and lack of police force to enforce the Rules are also
apparent from these replies. The petitioner also states that the use
of black films is not prevalent in developed and/or developing
countries all over the world. In fact, in some of the countries, it
is specifically banned. In Afghanistan, Belarus, Nigeria, Uganda and
even in Pakistan, use of black films on the vehicle glasses is banned.
Use of black films is not prevalent in United States of America,
United Kingdom, Germany and other countries as well.

Even 1989 Motor vehicle act is quoted and explained we in this judgement

Complete judgement can be found here .. http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.gov.in/images/pressroom/pdf/SC_tintedglass.pdf

Any DIY for this....

OK, Now that this is a law can we have a DIY instructable for this? I dread having to go to the garage for this. ...Has anyone tried this at home?

Don't worry ..... its quite simple ...... apply / soak detergent water by means of a cloth piece or sponge along the edges of the 'black film'. It would slowly give away after sometime, say within 3-4 minutes of application. Keep on peeling off the film, in the process applying the detergent water soaked cloth along it. No need to physically pull it out ... apply the solution and keep on pulling .....

Can someone explain?

Supreme Court order

Para 3

The word tinted means shade or hue as per the dictionary. The
rear and front and side glasses of vehicles are provided with such
shade or tint, and therefore, they are widely referred to as tinted
glasses, which is different from black films. The glasses of the
vehicles having a coating of black films cannot be termed as tinted
glasses because they are not manufactured as such.

But how are they different functionally?

But how are they different functionally?

Another piece of news on cheating public in the name of safety and security.

The executives with whom we are in contact told us, That all companies have decided not to appeal against for at least more 1-2 weeks.. Because they are earning Rs. 200-Rs.500 firstly from every car for removing tints.. Secondly they think that if time prolongs maximum people will remove the tints.. so More they will earn when the petition gets a stay and tinting starts again...!!

Information is from a facebook page .. All those who want... | Facebook

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back