Swift Dzire Audio

arupghoshal

Hi,

I recently bought a Swift DZire ZDI and frankly the Audio system which comes factory fitted is no great shakes.

Was wondering if I can replace the system and if so, keeping in mind the extra large boot space, can I do something in there too?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
Arup Ghoshal

Hi,

I recently bought a Swift DZire ZDI and frankly the Audio system which comes factory fitted is no great shakes.

Was wondering if I can replace the system and if so, keeping in mind the extra large boot space, can I do something in there too?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
Arup Ghoshal

Hi Arup
Welcome to the forum
Is it the same factory fitted Nippon car audio system which comes with SX4 ZXI?
IMO, its decent enough but as you said nothing great. You can definately install a music system to your tastes and budget :) and utilize the whole boot space with an array of subs :p

But before going ahead with anything just confirm if it wont void the warranty and If i am not wrong the buttons on steering to control car audio wont work with after market installation

What is your approximate budget?

Hi Rikhav,

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes Maruti has a deal with Nippon and they use the same system for both cars. I also have a SX4 ZXI and since my wife uses it, I have not thought of any improvements on that ;)

Yes, I have the same worry about the warranty and I dont want to use up all the boot space. Need some space for my "stuff" :)

Budget is about 50k max.

Regards,
Arup

SX4 is a fun car to drive too as well. The new K series engine is quiet torquey
Anyways coming to the audio system of your Dzire.

Apart from changing the headunit you can go with different speaker setups

i.e.
Components in the front and 6X9 in the rear
Components in front and rear both
Components in front and a sub

See what suits you the most. It will mostly depend on your listening tastes and how loud you listen to and most important is do you self drive or have a chauffer

Hey! Congrats on your new car.

IMO You should go for Components in the front
For the rear if you go for a woofer in the boot you won't require a 6x9 & can go for a normal coaxial.

You can retain the head unit & will have to go for a amp with an high line input.

There are a gamut of brands available, But i suggest you must first look for a good installer in your area which will be half the job done.

You must try a forum called Team-BHP's ICE section which will def help you to collect a whole lot of info.

If you can give me more info about your choice in music, if you like a certain brand etc i might be able to suggest a few combo's

Al the best.
Cheers

Last edited:
SX4 is a fun car to drive too as well. The new K series engine is quiet torquey
Anyways coming to the audio system of your Dzire.

Apart from changing the headunit you can go with different speaker setups

i.e.
Components in the front and 6X9 in the rear
Components in front and rear both
Components in front and a sub

See what suits you the most. It will mostly depend on your listening tastes and how loud you listen to and most important is do you self drive or have a chauffer

Hey Rikhav,

Thanks man.

I hate to dissapoint you here but frankly I dont even understand what components mean! :eek: Till now i thought components were something to do with parts! Sorry for sounding the duffer! :D

Frankly speaking, I have a chauffer and prefer not listning to loud music, but when I drive, eeps... the sound has to be high!

I prefer listning to new hindi movie songs and sometimes (just sometimes) english songs of MJ, Madonna, or whatever... no preference.

I love the beats/ thumps like say the title song in Bachna Ae Haseeno... you get my drift?

I am in Mumbai, work in Reliance Industries, and if you guys know of someone who can help me out, please let me know.

Tons of thanks!
Arup

Hey! Congrats on your new car.

IMO You should go for Components in the front
For the rear if you go for a woofer in the boot you won't require a 6x9 & can go for a normal coaxial.

You can retain the head unit & will have to go for a amp with an high line input.

There are a gamut of brands available, But i suggest you must first look for a good installer in your area which will be half the job done.

You must try a forum called Team-BHP's ICE section which will def help you to collect a whole lot of info.

If you can give me more info about your choice in music, if you like a certain brand etc i might be able to suggest a few combo's

Al the best.
Cheers

Thanks Neo. :)

I replied to Rikhav in the post above and I guess that answers some of your queries.

I agree with your suggestion for a woofer but I also think that the head unit does not play all formats like WMA, etc.

Quite a few tracks do not play on it but it does play in my computer, Home theatre, etc. What could be the problem?

Anyways, thanks a ton to both of you for being patient with me.

Warm Regards,
Arup

Hi Arup
Basically a component speaker set is a set of 2 or 3 drivers connected to an external crossover. As home audio speakers they are 2 way and high end ones are 3 way. But all is not in one cabinet, everything is installed separately in the car. Since everything is broken into a component, its given the name. This is just a basic explanation I have given. I am sorry for such a crude explanation
Maybe if you read the following page, you can understand a little better
Component Speakers

Now since you say you have a chauffer and you drive as well, its very important that you get a full range sound in front as well as the back of the car. There are people specially dealing in installing in car audio systems in mumbai. As Neo pointed out you can get their contact information once you go through the ICE section of team-bhp.
Go through the manual of the current head unit and see what all file types it supports and to what bitrate. Maybe that will tell you why all files are not played with the current head unit

What is the budget you have fixed for your car audio? Maybe once you fix on an amount then you can decide on what all to go for. As with home audio car audio has no limits as to how much you can spend.
Also as you will read on team-bhp anyone going for hi end car audio is always advised to do sound deadning of the whole car, specially on the doors where speakers will be installed so there is minimum vibration. But that involves stripping of all the panels on the doors. So do you want to go to that limits, that all you have to decide

Hi Arup
Basically a component speaker set is a set of 2 or 3 drivers connected to an external crossover. As home audio speakers they are 2 way and high end ones are 3 way. But all is not in one cabinet, everything is installed separately in the car. Since everything is broken into a component, its given the name. This is just a basic explanation I have given. I am sorry for such a crude explanation
Maybe if you read the following page, you can understand a little better
Component Speakers

Thanks Rikhav, the explanation is fine. Maybe it will take me some time to understand the tech jargon. I am hopeless in it. :(

Now since you say you have a chauffer and you drive as well, its very important that you get a full range sound in front as well as the back of the car. There are people specially dealing in installing in car audio systems in mumbai. As Neo pointed out you can get their contact information once you go through the ICE section of team-bhp.
Go through the manual of the current head unit and see what all file types it supports and to what bitrate. Maybe that will tell you why all files are not played with the current head unit.

I will do that ASAP.

What is the budget you have fixed for your car audio? Maybe once you fix on an amount then you can decide on what all to go for. As with home audio car audio has no limits as to how much you can spend.

Budget is max. 50k

Also as you will read on team-bhp anyone going for hi end car audio is always advised to do sound deadning of the whole car, specially on the doors where speakers will be installed so there is minimum vibration. But that involves stripping of all the panels on the doors. So do you want to go to that limits, that all you have to decide

Now you scare me. I guess Neo's suggestion for a woofer and upgrading the speakers seem a better option?

Any info if the new system will be supported by the audio controls on the steering wheel?

I heard of a place called soundfx. What do you think? Should I visit them and have a look?

Hope the ICE section will help.

Thanks a Million.

Regards,
Arup

Hi Arup
One of my friend has a SX4 ZXi, and he also had planned an upgrade the car audio. I will need to ask him as he had the discussion about the audio controls on steering with the car dealer as he also wanted them to work with the upgraded music system.
He is out of india, so maybe i will try to mail him

Now you have decided to have components upfront and a sub as Neo has suggested. You need to decide that do you want speakers at the rear as well.
If you want to go for it, i will suggest to go for components as well in the rear. In both front and rear they can be installed on the door where the company has provided space for installation.
So what you require is a 4 channel amp to power your 4 full range speakers and a monobloc to power your sub

I will try to gather information about installers who are good at their work and meanwhile you can visit the ones you know and ask them for a quotation giving your requirments.
I am not at all up to date with car audio so you will need to do a bit of digging before you can zero in on the installer and what speaker/amps you go for. My only request is to be patient and visit as many dealers as you can and then decide

Is SoundFX the same dealer who deals in JBL car audio products or is it ProFX. I am little bit confused with the names

They have a showroom at Oshiwara near Mega Mall. Thats the JBL dealer I am refering to.

Last edited:
Hey!
I hope you??re concepts are a bit clear now. As promised my line of thought for your ICE.

IMO the head unit is one of the most crucial parts of ICE. I??m not sure how the Nippon unit sounds but it certainly won??t be a good one. If you decide to change your head unit I feel fitting it with brackets won??t be a problem but you??ll loose the control for your steering wheel as I??m not sure mod??s for it are available at the moment, also you??ll loose out on the flush mount looks. So you??ll have to decide on to retain it or change it. On your inability to play certain disc??s it??s best checked with the installer as they??ll be able to give you a right answer.

You can decide on the head unit latter if you feel you don??t enjoy the sound.

For the spk??s, if I have my facts correct the spk in your car will be placed on the door??s & fire around your knees.
IMO if you go fro a woofer in your boot, you must go for the components spk (i.e. separate tweeter+ mid bass+ crossover) & a coaxial on the rear door. The reason being, you??ll already get good imaging from the fronts, thus you??ll not need another pair of components in the rear or else the tweeter placed out side will start sounding shiny.
If you don not wish to go for a woofer than I guess you must get a good 6x9 on the rear parcel tray.

I??ve heard great sounding set ups wherein they have a woofer & just a pair of front components, but I??m not sure if it would work in your budget as the set up's were quite exp.

For the amp if you go for 2 sets of spk + woofer than I feel you??ll need a 5 ch amp or 4CH + mono amp.
You can also feed the fronts & woofer from a 4 ch amp & run the rear spk through your head unit.

As for as damping is concerned I feel some installers over do it & over damp the car as if they are installing for a spl contest. The damping has to done acc to the car, type of sound required etc. So pl ask the installer as how & why he??d like to damp your car.

I hope I??ve been able to give you a brief idea. You must talk to a few installers & get a more clarity on your install vis-à-vis brands, solutions, price etc.

Some good installers in mumbai that I know of are:
Ajay Kamat (9320447654),
Pankaj Cheda of FM drive at Santacruz/Khar (98201012333),
Boom also at khar (Don??t have contact details),
Vicky of Sound FX at Andheri E (9821137909).

Let me know if can help you any further
All the best.
Cheers

Hi Neo
I guess you have explained everything perfectly to Arup. :)
I have provided him with the contact details of Boom.

Arup, I hope you got my mail

As Neo has told, visit everyone of them and compare the setups they are suggesting and what suits you the most

Hey! Rikhav can i pl also get boom's contact details.Just incase for future refrences.
Thanks

Arup pl keep us posted.

Hearing is believing
All the best
Cheers.

Hey! Rikhav can i pl also get boom's contact details.Just incase for future refrences.
Thanks

Arup pl keep us posted.

Hearing is believing
All the best
Cheers.

Sure Neo

Following is the address

Boom
B 105,
Gagangiri Co-op Society,
Union Park,
Khar (W),
MUMBAI - 400052
Tel: +91 (22) 6770 6262
Email: [email protected]

Hey Neo/ Rikhav,

You two have been really helpful and fantastic. Really appreciate your views and the research you two have come up with for me.

Sorry, havent been on the board for the past few days as have got a bit busy.

Thanks a million mates.

Best,
Arup

Hi Arup
Work is always a priority for all of us even if we like or not :)

Just again i will repeat go meet as many installers me and Neo have mentioned and then take a decision. Dont haste on it, even if it will take you a month to make only the visits, considering you will do when you are free.

I know going to someone like Boom you will get the best advice but still its worth spending the time.

Also try to visit the JBl shop at Oshiwara (its on the road ahead of Oshiwara police station). I have totally forgotten the name so i dont know if its included in the list Neo has given.

I managed to get the address of JBl store, but not the one in Oshiwara. I got this address from the site Sahil International who are India wide distributor of JBL. Just give them a call and plan a visit

Union Auto Industries
C-106 Vaibhav Industrial Estate,
Opp Oxford Chamber, Saki-Vihar Road,
Andheri (E)-72
9820050919/ 9320029418

Last edited:
There is no limit to the amount you can spend on your audio setup, so the best way is to fix a budget . Second you have to demo some of the different car installs of your friends if possible so as to get an idea of the sound you wuld expect from your car.

Here is my setup:-

Pioneer 6950 UB HU
Pioneer 6x9" rear - excellent bass
JBL gto 6" coaxials in the front
jbl 4 way amp cs 60.4

If you want heavy bass got for an additional 2 channel bridged amp with a pioneer/ground zero sub

Please remeber to go for dampening otherwise your car panels will rattle like crazy at loud volume skilling the experience.

Hope this helps.

There is no limit to the amount you can spend on your audio setup, so the best way is to fix a budget . Second you have to demo some of the different car installs of your friends if possible so as to get an idea of the sound you wuld expect from your car.

Here is my setup:-

Pioneer 6950 UB HU
Pioneer 6x9" rear - excellent bass
JBL gto 6" coaxials in the front
jbl 4 way amp cs 60.4

If you want heavy bass got for an additional 2 channel bridged amp with a pioneer/ground zero sub

Please remeber to go for dampening otherwise your car panels will rattle like crazy at loud volume skilling the experience.

Hope this helps.

Hey Illusion,

Thanks mate.

What did that cost you? Also, the Maruti Dealer told me that if I replace the head unit, the steering controls will not work with the replacement. Plus warranty void.

I dont care about the warranty but, can these JBL guys do something about the integration with the steering wheel controls?

Also, Neo & Rikhav had mentioned about dampening the car. How is this done and what does it cost you?

Apprecite your concern mate.

Thanks,
Arup

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back