Synchronizing and Matching Speakers for Home Theater

Hari Iyer

I finally decided to re-install my HT setup last week and dusted my Denon AVR-1604 which is a 2003 model and now is almost 14 years old. It has lasted the test of time, though very primitive considering todays technology. Neverthless this is a 6.1 HT setup with a surround back ( a unique feature in 2003) and has Neo 6.0, DTS and Dolby Digital decoders, with digital DSP, virtual and 6 channel line-in feature, Direct and host of other features though. More important the SQ is very open and lean in this HT comparable to any decent 2 channel stereo amp, though it can get bright on an MP3 recording.

Those who have read my earlier post would know that, I am using a Fostex full range driver with my VP-300B tubes and it can handel max of 65 watts. But it has a rather high efficiency of around 94dB. My center and surround speakers are my another full-range driver (IWAI) having an efficiency of around 85dB. There is a huge gap of around 9dB SPL difference between the fronts vis-a-vis the center and surround.

Obviously when i connected at 0dB level of the AVR the fronts dominated and the center and surround could be barely heard. I did the following setup to get them back on the same level with decent success with level matching so to speak.

Reduce the Front level by -3dB - so the fronts are at relative 91dB level.

Increase the center level by +6dB - so the center are also at relative 91dB level.

Increase the surround level by +3dB - so the surrounds are at relative 88dB level. This was done because the surrounds are pretty close to my listening postion and do not warrant a +6dB increase in level.

I have played some youtube test tracks in Dolby Pro-logic II and the sound appeared quite balanced level wise. Since all drivers are full-rangers there was no overemphasis or screechy highs usually associated with HT setup. All speakers are phase coherent and when i played the Aura demo youtube videos it was very good. Though the sound signature of fronts are different from the center and surround but i could not make much difference when the center speaker switched to the fronts and the sound transition vis-a-vis the image on the screen was very transparent and seamless.

I dont have a working DVD player with me and will have to rely on some USB recordings or HDMI from Dish TV HD box for some real time Dolby Decoded signal for further setup adjustments of delay etc. But overall the experiences was worthwhile and satisfying though very tedious to setup correctly.

Last edited:
I finally decided to re-install my HT setup last week and dusted my Denon AVR-1604 which is a 2003 model and now is almost 14 years old. It has lasted the test of time, though very primitive considering todays technology.

An AVR doing duty for 14 yrs time is great..

Obviously when i connected at 0dB level of the AVR the fronts dominated and the center and surround could be barely heard. I did the following setup to get them back on the same level with decent success with level matching so to speak.

Reduce the Front level by -3dB - so the fronts are at relative 91dB level.

Increase the center level by +6dB - so the center are also at relative 91dB level.

Increase the surround level by +3dB - so the surrounds are at relative 88dB level. This was done because the surrounds are pretty close to my listening postion and do not warrant a +6dB increase in level.

I doubt, if you would have level matched the fronts & center speakers by increasing/decreasing the speaker level's..

Try using a SPL meter if you have one and level match it to 75db from your listening position, else if you have android/ iphone, download the SPL meter and try to hit 80db for each speaker..

Hope you also adjusted the speaker distance..

Are the test tone from AVR variable with volume?

Thanks for the tips in getting even SPL @ all 5 channels using the Test Tone. I do have the android version of SPL meter downloaded which is quite accurate imo.

Going by your suggestion, i am now able to get even better resolution after minor tweaking of the levels. Enjoying Dolby Digital now.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back