Synology External Access

terrible

So being new to Synology, and alongside, many things that come with it, for instance port forwarding. Need some help from the experts here.

A few things are turning out to be bothersome, but before that let me put forward the layout of how my Synology connects to the network I have. So, I have two networks, one in the lobby, that pretty much, feeds the bedrooms comprising Alphion ARGT-1040 Modem and Netgear R8000 router. The second, which is in the living room, comprising Alphion modem and Airport Extreme router. The second network in the living room basically is there to feed ethernet to various devices like LG OLED, Roku, RPI, UDP-205, etc. I switch off the lobby network and switch on the living one only when I am watching or listening to something. The Synology is connected in the living area, through ethernet going into the Airport Extreme (I tried connecting directly to modem but Synology does not seem to get internet like this). As for the lobby network is concerned, I connect the Synology to my Netgear router through a wifi dongle. This is the connection that stays alive 80% of the time and whenever I connect to the Synology outside home.

Problem 1: I tried EZ Internet on DSM for automatic port forwarding and accessing the NAS through synology.me. In the set up, at 'Detect Router Information', everything is ticked green except 'Checking Network Environment' which has a red exclamation with the 'Warning: Cannot obtain your network environment information'. Though, in the next step the wizard clearly indicates that it has found a compatible UPnP router in R8000. In the next step I made a choice of built-in apps, which goes smoothly, as does registering a new hostname on DDNS set up wizard. From here, in External Access, under Router Configuration, I selected each app individually and tested connection. All of them failed. Moreover, when I go to xxxxx.synology.me, it opens a login page, where my Synology credentials don't work but my modem credentials do and it opens up the modem page. What could be going wrong here?

Problem 2: Now this is regarding Plex remote connection. I did manage to provide a static IP for the NAS that reads 10.x.x.x. This was done through selecting the IP in the port forwarding section of the Netgear Router. In this I also reserved the Plex port 32400. Still I see the red button on Plex remote connection. What's the work around?

Your help will be appreciated.

Ok .. Here I go..

First I do not use EZ Internet and neither do I use quick connect. I am more comfortable with all manual, and hence I can guide you only on those guidelines. Few things I would like to suggest IMHO only rest is up to you.

1. You can have as many WANs as possible, but Modem router should be as less as possible in the chain of devices. Infact there should only be ONE Modem and ONE Router, and that should go to a switch that would take care of your ethernet wired devices. If your router is wifi then that takes care of wifi devices, OR if wifi is weak at a location, then try not to use repeaters and things like that. Instead extent a LAN there and get an Access Point. (I know it might sound too much of work but if you want peace of mind and your network to work without any glitches for years to come, few things are kinda must)

Coming to your network. not sure why you have 2 modems and 2 routes, BUT it is imperative that all your devices including routers and switches belong to the same LAN and subnet and have same IP scheme.

Hope that is there in your case as well, my assumption. Now coming to your problem..

Problem 1 : As I said I do not use EZ and Quick Access, but this is what I have done and it not that difficult and works always.

a. Create a hostname on no-ip.org, something like yourname.no-ip.org (or anything you can choose from there)

b. On Synology settings->external Access->advance, place that host name you created and also make sure ports are listed their. defaults are 5000 and 5001 (https), you can change if you want to.

c. Go to your router and set up port fw. for port 5000/5001 to your NAS internal IP. (make sure the NAS is connected to the same router network and has access to internet.

If you are using Airtel with PPPOE then the procedure is a bit different, I am assuming you are not if you are let me know and I shall give you the pointers, how to go about this.

d. Come back to synology Settings-> external access -> DDNS and setup the same DDNS you registered with. If all is ok and port fw is done correctly then it would connect and status would be NORMAL.

e. Now try accessing your NAS from internet. By typing the hostname you created ..like youname.no-ip.org:5000 , dont forget to put the port in front and if you see your NAS page opens, all is good.

PROBLEM 2 : Do not give static IP to nas and dont choose from a different range like 10.x.x.x., yes it would work but its always advisable to have IP from the same range, like for internal its 192.168.x.y. Anyway Use your router DHCP to give IP to your NAS, (and all other devices as well) and then go to your Router and enable IP reservation and reserve all devices to their respective IPs. That means when ever a device re boots it will get the same IP always, no need to go static.

Then coming to plex, make sure PLEX and NAS are on the SAME LAN and have same range ip like 192.168.x.y. Now port fw 32400 in the router, to your internal PLEX server IP. When that is done, open plex by below url
http://yourname.no-ip.org:32400

It should open plex. If not....then open PLEX by internal IP on browser then go to Settings->Server->remote access and specify the port there and put checkmark on manually specify port and then RETRY if it goes all green you are good to go if not ....something is not right and we need to trouble shoot.

Let me know if all this was some help, else PM me and I shall see how I can help you one to one ..

Regards
Sammy

Last edited:
You can have as many WANs as possible, but Modem router should be as less as possible in the chain of devices. In fact there should only be ONE Modem and ONE Router, and that should go to a switch that would take care of your ethernet wired devices. If your router is wifi then that takes care of wifi devices, OR if wifi is weak at a location, then try not to use repeaters and things like that. Instead extent a LAN there and get an Access Point. (I know it might sound too much of work but if you want peace of mind and your network to work without any glitches for years to come, few things are kinda must)

Coming to your network. not sure why you have 2 modems and 2 routes, BUT it is imperative that all your devices including routers and switches belong to the same LAN and subnet and have same IP scheme.

Hope that is there in your case as well, my assumption. Now coming to your problem..

Yes, what you suggest is absolutely correct, however, I wanted to connect my devices through ethernet for better speed. If I got my wifi router to the living space for that, the signal was too low for lobby, bedrooms etc. I intend to use a repeater/extender towards the lobby side that'll feed the bedrooms as a little slower speed will suffice there. Two modems with wifi is just an interim arrangement, with living space one coming on only when I use TV apps or Roku. And, so that, the house is not wifi dead, I have attached Airport Extreme to that.

Problem 1 :
a. Create a hostname on no-ip.org, something like yourname.no-ip.org (or anything you can choose from there)

b. On Synology settings->external Access->advance, place that host name you created and also make sure ports are listed their. defaults are 5000 and 5001 (https), you can change if you want to.

c. Go to your router and set up port fw. for port 5000/5001 to your NAS internal IP. (make sure the NAS is connected to the same router network and has access to internet.

If you are using Airtel with PPPOE then the procedure is a bit different, I am assuming you are not if you are let me know and I shall give you the pointers, how to go about this.

d. Come back to synology Settings-> external access -> DDNS and setup the same DDNS you registered with. If all is ok and port fw is done correctly then it would connect and status would be NORMAL.

e. Now try accessing your NAS from internet. By typing the hostname you created ..like youname.no-ip.org:5000 , dont forget to put the port in front and if you see your NAS page opens, all is good.

I did as you instructed but it is still a no go. I am attaching pics for you to see if something is amiss.

PROBLEM 2 : Do not give static IP to nas and dont choose from a different range like 10.x.x.x., yes it would work but its always advisable to have IP from the same range, like for internal its 192.168.x.y. Anyway Use your router DHCP to give IP to your NAS, (and all other devices as well) and then go to your Router and enable IP reservation and reserve all devices to their respective IPs. That means when ever a device re boots it will get the same IP always, no need to go static.

Then coming to plex, make sure PLEX and NAS are on the SAME LAN and have same range ip like 192.168.x.y. Now port fw 32400 in the router, to your internal PLEX server IP. When that is done, open plex by below url
http://yourname.no-ip.org:32400

It should open plex. If not....then open PLEX by internal IP on browser then go to Settings->Server->remote access and specify the port there and put checkmark on manually specify port and then RETRY if it goes all green you are good to go if not ....something is not right and we need to trouble shoot

Same issue with Plex. Pics enclosed.

Pics:

https://ibb.co/bDH4fF
https://ibb.co/eL6rSv
https://ibb.co/h3uNZa
https://ibb.co/guE0LF
https://ibb.co/hCAwua
https://ibb.co/gLT5nv

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Another Question, hope you are not using Airtel as the ISP, is your router connected to Airtel Modem???

It is PPPoE.

Yes port fw will not work if modem is set to PPPoE,this is what you need to do ..

1. Go to EDIT
2. There you will find something like username and password ... somethig like [email protected] ...or could be anything.

3. Call MTNL and ask them the credentials. The username and password.

4. On the same page you should see something that would let ou configure the modem in "BRIDGE MODE"

5. Now before we set up the modem in bridge mode .... open your router and find a place where you can configure PPPoE connection. It will be in DHCP mode, change it to PPPoE and put the username and password there, that your ISP gave you, save it.

NOTE ::: At this point you will loose Internet .. So dont panic.

6. Now go back to MTNL modem same and set the modem to bridge mode. Save it and reboot. when the modem is up ...reboot the router as well .... and see if you get the internet back .....

I know sounds a lot of work, but its not that difficult. If you are not comfortable you can PM me and I can give you my number to talk you through it.

IMP ::: PPPoE username and password are very IMP. do not lose it and ake sure MTNL if they reset it.....try it and see if the internet is working only then put it to bridge mode

One all this is dont and you have internet, now try accessing your NAS.

Also if you have dont ant poet fw or NATTing in modem remove it.Only your router will do all this

Report!!

Yes port fw will not work if modem is set to PPPoE,this is what you need to do ..

1. Go to EDIT

2. There you will find something like username and password ... somethig like [email protected] ...or could be anything.

3. Call MTNL and ask them the credentials. The username and password.

4. On the same page you should see something that would let ou configure the modem in "BRIDGE MODE"

5. Now before we set up the modem in bridge mode .... open your router and find a place where you can configure PPPoE connection. It will be in DHCP mode, change it to PPPoE and put the username and password there, that your ISP gave you, save it.

NOTE ::: At this point you will loose Internet .. So dont panic.

6. Now go back to MTNL modem same and set the modem to bridge mode. Save it and reboot. when the modem is up ...reboot the router as well .... and see if you get the internet back .....

I know sounds a lot of work, but its not that difficult. If you are not comfortable you can PM me and I can give you my number to talk you through it.

IMP ::: PPPoE username and password are very IMP. do not lose it and ake sure MTNL if they reset it.....try it and see if the internet is working only then put it to bridge mode

One all this is dont and you have internet, now try accessing your NAS.

Also if you have dont ant poet fw or NATTing in modem remove it.Only your router will do all this

Report!!

Got some work for now. Will get back to you on this. I have the MTNL password and user so no issues on that. Don't know if the modem has bridge mode. Will also shut NAT on modem. There's no port forwarding, just port triggering on my modem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I have reached a dead end. I cannot find the option to opt for bridge mode either on Alphion ARGT -1040 modem supplied by MTNL, nor is it available on the Netgear R8000.

Thats not possible, when you go to WAN settings and click on EDIT on PPPoE connection, it should be somewhere there, try again, see if you need to scroll the page or something ... mean time let me google as well

For Netgear R8000 chekc this snap, shows where you configure PPPoE

ipv6_pppoe.png

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back