tablet as media center

nandac

anybody tried using a tablet as a center from which to play music, movies (on external hard disk) ?

can it be an alternative for media players like squeeze box etc?

i am only looking for a device to play audio/video files from - rather than from my computer.

i have a stand alone dac.

appreciate the insights.

Before buying my first tablet, I was mainly using laptop/desktop for music. Nowadays I use Ainol tablet for music listening because of convenience factor. I often attach it to my main music system for listening to Tunein radio stations. For watching videos/movies, I still prefer to use media player even though I could attach tablet to my TV/monitor through mini HDMI. Also some of my video files are very big.

But you can't use external dac with most Android tablets. The internal dac of Ainol/Samsung tablets is quite good for casual listening.

>But you can't use external dac with most Android tablets

if the tablet has a usb port, why can't a dac be hooked to it?

When iPods and other such media players can be connected to DAC via USB, there is no reason why a tablet cannot be the same way. It needs to be verified whether the tablet can stream music via USB - I know that iPad can be connected to DAC via the camera connection kit.

I have been thinking abt the same idea for sometime...Actually it is very convenient when you play music from tablet/phone to receiver thru HDMI...

1) you don't have to turn on TV/Laptop where u need to scroll down & select the songs that you need to play (FLAC,WAV & MP3)...

2) using touch screen to navigate & select the songs is more convenient then playing from Laptop/PC...

>But you can't use external dac with most Android tablets

if the tablet has a usb port, why can't a dac be hooked to it?

Most Tabs running Jelly Bean should be able to output to a DAC via USB. The limitation would only be because of the hardware. My Galaxy Tab 2 works with my Rega DAC via USB, hooked up though a generic (= cheap, from ebay) OTG adapter.

The Tab (through the DAC) plays FLAC files saved on it, and streams Internet Radio too.

Most Tabs running Jelly Bean should be able to output to a DAC via USB. The limitation would only be because of the hardware. My Galaxy Tab 2 works with my Rega DAC via USB, hooked up though a generic (= cheap, from ebay) OTG adapter.

The Tab (through the DAC) plays FLAC files saved on it, and streams Internet Radio too.

Hydra, a bit off topic but in context. How would you rate the Sound quality of your three transports - Marantz CDP, Music PC and Tab? I assume you use same rega Dac for all of them? Which one sounds best?

How do you connect Music PC to DAC? Via USB or coaxial?

Hydra, a bit off topic but in context. How would you rate the Sound quality of your three transports - Marantz CDP, Music PC and Tab? I assume you use same rega Dac for all of them? Which one sounds best?

How do you connect Music PC to DAC? Via USB or coaxial?

I do use the Rega DAC to "unify" my digital sources, heh heh. I normally use only the CDP and the Music PC with it.

The Tab is hooked up only when I feel like listening to something different and want to listen to internet radio, or when I want to listen to something (not watch) on YouTube. (My Music PC is not connected to the internet).

The connections are like this:

CDP > Digital Coaxial > Rega DAC
Music PC > Digital Coaxial > Rega DAC
Tablet > OTG Adapter > USB Cable (snagged off a printer in office) > Rega DAC

Between the transports, I prefer the CDP and the Music PC by far over the Tablet. The tablet gives a far narrower soundstage, sounds very "hard" & uninvolving, and generally does not sound as musical as CDP or the Music PC.

I use Andless on the Tablet to play FLAC: I just used it a few times to listen to FLAC files from the TAB, just out of curiosity. A different music player might make a difference, but I don't use it at all to listen to FLAC -- don't need to, when everything is on the Music PC anyway -- so I haven't bothered trying other S/W out.

Between the CDP and the Music PC as a transport, I keep changing my opinion about which is better. Most days the CDP sounds better to me (esp. after I got a plexi + vibrapod + vibracone platform for it), but some days, the Music PC hits that sweet spot perfectly! But then, this is mostly a matter of contention only when I need to compare between them. I generally do a comparison only when I tweak something related to the CDP or the Music PC. I understand that this does not really help you, but frankly, I can't give a definite answer myself as to which of the two transports sound better.

What I do usually when I listen to music:

- If I have what I want to listen to on LP, I usually use the Rega RP3. (I have some titles on LP, CD, FLAC and HiRes FLAC).

- If I have what I want to listen to on CD and FLAC and HiRes I generally use the CDP to spin the CD. If I have it on HiRes and if I have more than a couple of hours to listen, I might boot up the Music PC and use it.

- If I have what I want to listen to on CD and FLAC, I usually listen with the CDP and not the Music PC.

- If I don't have what I want to listen to on CD or LP, I use the Music PC. Also, if it's HiRes FLAC, I naturally use the Music PC.

- If I'm not listening to music actively, like when I'm cleaning the house or something, and when I want to listen to something random and different, I hook up the Tab to the DAC, and stream internet radio, or put on a youtube channel. Sometimes, I don't even bother to hook it up to the DAC -- I have a Logitech bluetooth speaker adapter hooked up to the amp. I just connect the Tab to it via BT and play it that way.

Sorry for a really long OT post :eek:

Last edited:
Sorry for a really long OT post :eek:

Not at all. In fact thanks for taking so much pain in answering me.

I perfectly understood your swing of opinion about CDP and M-PC. Quite natural. There are some files that plays beautifully on one and vice versa.

The case with TAB via USB is different. As the USB implementation in DAC are not always as good as there coaxial part. So, it would have been nice if you had experience with TAB via coaxial using something like M2Tech Hiface 2. So, not ruling out TAB as transport immediately.

The tablet gives a far narrower soundstage, sounds very "hard" & uninvolving, and generally does not sound as musical as CDP or the Music PC.

This is the exactly the same thing people complains about the USB implementation of DAC when they connect transport via USB - Narrow soundstage and somewhat choked bandwidth.

BTW, which TAB do you use?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back