Tamil film music (Black & White Era)

K.J.Jesudas. What a singer!!.
இந்த காந்தக் குரலோனின் பாடல்களில் எதைத்தான் தவிர்ப்பது?
எனக்கு மிகவும் பிடித்த சில.

'உன்னிடம் மயங்குகிறேன்
உள்ளத்தால் நெருங்குகிறேன்
எந்தனுயிர் காதலியே!
இன்னிசை தேவதையே'!!

என்று காதலியிடம் தனது உள்ளக்கிடக்கையை வெளிப்படுத்தும் பாடல்!

'காற்றினிலே பெரும் காற்றினிலே.
ஏற்றி வைத்த தீபத்திலும்
இருளிருக்கும்'
என்ற சோகம் ததும்பும் பாடல்!

'ஹலோ மைடியர் ராங்நம்பர்'
என்ற குறும்புத்தனம் நிறைந்த பாடல்!

எதைச் சொல்வது. எதை விடுவது.?

நவரசப் பாடகர் கே. ஜே. யேசுதாஸ்!!

This lovely song is composed on ' Khiltehain Gul yahan' song's tune.

'ராதையின் நெஞ்சமே
கண்ணுக்கு சொந்தமே!!

Shafic, Great listings! Are you using Tamil Changathi portal for typing in Tamil font?
Can you use English to type your views? This will help non-tamil FMs to enjoy the context as well. Just a thought :)

Awesome thread. Thanks to all the contributors. Having grown up in the 60's and 70's of Madras this is very nostalgic for me. Also it was the beginning of my DIY life and I remember listening to all these songs on a earpiece radio (telephone headpiece with a diode and a piece of wire).
Life was so uncomplicated. The singers, orchestra and playback was stupendous. Real music, real instruments and above all real artiste's. YMMV of course....but then....

I agree. Those were memorable days.

:)
Shafic, Great listings! Are you using Tamil Changathi portal for typing in Tamil font?
Can you use English to type your views? This will help non-tamil FMs to enjoy the context as well. Just a thought :)
Hi Arun,
I am not using any portal. I type directly in Tamil.
My posts are generally a mix of English and Tamil.
This thread is dedicated to b&w TAMIL songs. So I love to include a little Tamil in the post too.:)

Mr. A.M.Raja is one my favorite singers. He has given many wonderful songs. In my opinion his Tamil pronunciation is one of the best.

'சிற்பி செதுக்காத பொற்சிலையே!
எந்தன் சித்தத்தை நீ அறியாயோ?"

Grew up listening to ceylon radio. For Southen Tamil Nadu ceylon radio was a big entertainment in those days. Many lovely programmes, announcers ( RJ) ( K.S.Raja, Abdul Hameed...) And great selection of songs.

My favorite song of music director(s) Shankar Ganesh. Also my favorite hero's:)

One of the Great Precious Gems from the Great Master MSV. But this film was not released.

A beautiful song sung by KJJ and Janaki. From the picture Kalyana Oorvalam (கல்யாண ஊர்வலம்).

'கூந்தலிலே நெய்தடவி
குழிர் விழியில் மை தடவி
காத்திருக்கும் கன்னி மகள்
காதல் மனம் ஒரு தேனருவி'

Banumathi!!
Actress, Director, singer, producer.....
Multi talented personality.
Some nice songs of her!!

"கையிலே வளவியெல்லாம் கலகலனென்னு ஆடயிலே!
உன் காலிலே கொலுசு ரெண்டும்
ஜதி தாளம் போடயிலே!
கஞ்சிப் பானை தூக்கிக்கிட்டு
கண்டும் காணாமே!
சுண்டுணை (சொடக்கு) போட்டுக்கிட்டு போறவளே ஏஏஏஏ!!'

'மாசி(ல்)லா உண்மைக் காதலே,
மாறுமோ செல்வம் வந்தபோதிலே?

Last edited:
K.J.Jesudas. What a singer!!.
இந்த காந்தக் குரலோனின் பாடல்களில் எதைத்தான் தவிர்ப்பது?
எனக்கு மிகவும் பிடித்த சில.

'உன்னிடம் மயங்குகிறேன்
உள்ளத்தால் நெருங்குகிறேன்
எந்தனுயிர் காதலியே!
இன்னிசை தேவதையே'!!

என்று காதலியிடம் தனது உள்ளக்கிடக்கையை வெளிப்படுத்தும் பாடல்!

'காற்றினிலே பெரும் காற்றினிலே.
ஏற்றி வைத்த தீபத்திலும்
இருளிருக்கும்'
என்ற சோகம் ததும்பும் பாடல்!

'ஹலோ மைடியர் ராங்நம்பர்'
என்ற குறும்புத்தனம் நிறைந்த பாடல்!

எதைச் சொல்வது. எதை விடுவது.?

நவரசப் பாடகர் கே. ஜே. யேசுதாஸ்!!

Gangai Nadhiyoram music is composed by R. Govardhanam, assistant of MSV. The music has a tinge of G.K.V and Maestro Ilaiyaraja..

1960's can be rightly called the golden age of Tamil movie songs.Singers in their mellifluous voice enthralled us all.Singers like .T.M,Soundararajan.P.B.Srinivas,K.J.Jesudas,P,Susila,L.R.Eswari,S.Janaki,A.M.Raja,Jikki etc contributed their might during this period.We had music directors like M.S.Visvanathan,A,M,Raja etc to mention a few.Truly a golden era.

Well said..the singers know the nuances. Most of the current "super singer" era singers can be technically correct. But, lack the nuances which add emotion to singing.

Well said..the singers know the nuances. Most of the current "super singer" era singers can be technically correct. But, lack the nuances which add emotion to singing.
Probably because we are seeing more of sound engineers and key board players turning into music directors in Tamil Industry. They are adept at getting different feels in the music (rhythm loops and new sounds) but lack creativity with tune compositions. If the composer's standard is low, then only so much emotions can be brought out from a singer. Singers are evolve better. Composers stagnate after a period of time.

Sivakumar!!
One of the best character artist/Hero of Tamil movies. Here is one his nice song with Bharathi from movie 'Uyarntha Manithan'

' என் கேள்விக்கென்ன பதில்?
என் கே...ள்விக்கென்ன பதில்?
உன் பார்வைக்கென்ன பொருள்?
மண மாலைக்கென்ன வழி?
உன் மௌனம் என்ன மொழி?'

Not a big fan of black and white movie songs but these songs has something there which doesn’t allow to skip/fast forward even with YouTube quality.Old days valve radio memories.
Like to see songs of SSR sung by AM Raja.(my favourite Thendral urangiya from PMVA)
Thanks to FM Shafic and Liverpool for music.

Kangal Irandum Indru ummai kandu pesumo?
Kalam Inimael nammai onrai kondu serkumo?
'Will my eager eyes talk to you today?
Will destiny bring us together?

'கண்கள் இரண்டும் இன்று உம்மைக் கண்டு பேசுமோ?
காலம் இனிமேல் நம்மை ஒன்றாய் கொண்டு சேர்க்குமோ?'

There are many wonderful melancholy songs in Tamil cinema. But in this song the sorrow expressed in P. Susheela's voice is something else Altogether. You can 'feel' the emotions expressed in the lyrics. When she asks 'pesumo' ( பேசுமோ?) and 'serkumo' ( சேர்க்குமோ?) It rings your heart.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back