Tannoy GRF (vintage originals) and other vintage Tannoy cabinets for the 15" Tannoy Monitor drivers

ronniemarker

Hello !

As I attempt to go UP in the vintage Tannoy "food chain" of cabinets (enclosures) for the wonderful (magnificent) vintage Tannoy 15"
Monitor drivers (Golds, Reds and Silvers), I wold like to inquire and hopefully find out if anyone on THIS forum presently has and
uses any of the "big" (bigger) vintage Tannoy enclosures (cabinets), such as - the GRF, the AutoGraphs and even the mighty AutoGraph
Professionals (with not one but 2 massive vintage Tannoy 15" drivers per side !).

My own progression in my quest for vintage Tannoys with 15" drivers in their vintage cabinets has taken me from - the relatively
modestly-sized Lancaster - to, the larger and much better sounding York cabinets and then on to the venerable and fantastic sounding
GRF enclosures. While I have now scaled half the mountain, I am desirous of ascending further (up the mountain or the food chain, if
you like !) and someday obtain the mighty AutoGraphs or even the holy grail AutoGraph Professionals themselves (5 feet high and
bearing 2 massive 15" drivers per side - I am told that a mere "real" watts will easily fill up a good sized room with these beheamoths !).

So, if anyone HAS (or, even had) any experience (owning, listening to, etc.) any of these "vintage" Tannoy cabinets (mostly from the
1960s and early 1970s), please DO give me a shout - I would love to discuss and if the opportunity presents itself, even "hear" (listen to)
these magnificent, wonderful speakers from the yester-years.......it will be a dream come true and a miracle for me to someday actually
own one but till then, I am happy to discuss about them with anyone who is similarly inclined.

I hope then to hear from someone on our forum - meanwhile, thanks in any case and best wishes !

Sincerely,

Ronnie K. Marker Cell: 9819656053
Mumbai

Hi Ronnie,

You should talk to George (@GeorgeO) and Anil (@anilva).
I'm sure there are a few more forum members (Rajiv??) on the vintage audio beat.

Good luck with your search and share your journey with us if you can!

Regards.

Ronnie,

I have MG15 and HPD15s in Arden Cabinet with original crossovers. George has MG15 in GRF cabinets. They all sound wonderful. Like you, one of these days want to do Autograph or Autograph professional. I have the stock of required drivers. The designs are available. Space is a constraint. These days more inclined to do Klangfilm Euronor/Bionor type in my new house.

Cheers

Hi Nikhil and Anil -

thank you for responding / replying to my Tannoy cabinets post - much appreciated.

Anil - presently, I have 15" Monitor Reds in factory York enclosures (beautiful female voice rendition) and 15" Monitor Golds in GRF enclosures (BIG sound with heavy bass) - I love them both ! Last year, I missed an opportunity to obtain a lovely correct-spec Tannoy reproduction corner GRF cabinets pair from the UK - I still kick myself for missing those !

For me, I will have "climbed" the vintage Tannoy summit if I can someday obtain the mighty AutoGraphs - someday, I reckon that I will !

A few years ago, I already scaled the transmission line loudspeakers "summit" when I owned two (2) pairs of the absolutely stupendous TDL Electronics Reference Standard speakers - the bass from those used to make the curios and small collectibles slide on the shelves in our living room and I swear on my kids that this WAS the ONLY domestic loudspeaker system in the world that could faithfully re-create the rich, low bass notes of the organ in St. Peter's Cathedral in Vatican City, Rome - again, it is a deep regret of mine that I sold off BOTH those pairs of the mighty TDLs.

As they say - we have to live and learn and also that we sometimes need to lose something to realize how much we miss it !

Kindest regards,

Ronnie

Hi Ronnie,

Great to hear of your journey so far with a hint of your direction in the future.
I have to admit this is the first time I've heard of the TDL Electronics Reference Standard speakers.
But a google search turned up some interesting information on the speakers.

George has not chimed in yet but I am sure he will at some point on his Tannoys.

Regards.

Hi Ronnie,

In 1969, my very first audio speaker purchase after college was Tannoy 15 inch Monitor Golds in GRF enclosures. If you would like to phone me some time, we two can talk speakers. Tony D'Agustino, my local Tannoy Rep in Southern California, had Autographs, and he had me over his house to hear them. I hate to type so much. cell 660 924-6547 in the CENTRAL Time ZONE, same as Kansas City.

Jeff

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back