Tannoy HTS 201 5.1 for 42k, worth it?

gourav

Hello friends. I've been down the HT rabbit hole over the last month or so and some of you might have noticed my multiple other posts.

Let me come straight to the point. I have the following two options right now:
  1. Mission M-cube +SE for 28000
  2. Tannoy HTS 201 5.1 (open box) for 42000
I'm really stretching my budget with the second one as it's crossing 75k with the AVR. So my question is, are the Tannoys worth it? Should I go for it considering a new one costs quite a bit more?

What is the spec and model of your AVR? FMs would be able to recommend better based on what will be powering the speakers.

What is the spec and model of your AVR? FMs would be able to recommend better based on what will be powering the speakers.

Agree not all speaker brands pair well with AVRs. Its a little tricky situation and so one must be a bit careful rather then regretting later.

I'm getting a Pioneer VSX-534 AVR.

Pioneer according to what I have read and heard is a bit choosy to what is paired to it. Is this a new one or pre owned? Typically most speakers pair well with Yamaha / Denon / Marantz.

It's new. It's an open box unit, hence getting it for a bit lower than the usual market price. I'll get a demo of the speakers paired with this unit before purchase.

It's new. It's an open box unit, hence getting it for a bit lower than the usual market price. I'll get a demo of the speakers paired with this unit before purchase.

Great! That would help then in taking a decision. Ensure you carry your music and movie clips so you can relate if it sounds as you expect.

Prices have increased or what, vsx 834 was purchased for 40k.
Yeah, prices have gone up for all components over the past year and they're still going up. Most likely everything will be 10-15% more expensive in another 6 months. It's bad time for people looking for HTS.

Great! That would help then in taking a decision. Ensure you carry your music and movie clips so you can relate if it sounds as you expect.
My 2cents::: pls listen to other brands as well. Else you will not have anything to compare and don’t know what to expect.

My 2cents::: pls listen to other brands as well. Else you will not have anything to compare and don’t know what to expect.
Yes, I have listened to Taga Harmony Azure B-40 (without surround though), DNM audio full surround, and will also be listening to Mission M-Cube mentioned in the post before finalising.

Yes, I have listened to Taga Harmony Azure B-40 (without surround though), DNM audio full surround, and will also be listening to Mission M-Cube mentioned in the post before finalising.
Hi,

How was the Mission M Cube experience?

The Mission M-Cube + SE were a decent set of speakers. The sound clarity was good. I only found the bass a bit lacking, but otherwise I liked the speakers. Surprisingly, the Tannoys did not impress me at all. They sounded worse than Mission M-Cube with the exact same source and content. I do not know how this is possible, since they cost almost double that of Mission, but that does explain why it was quickly discontinued by Tannoy.

In the end, I decided to go with Taga Azure B-40 + Taga Azure C-40. This cost me Rs. 61500 with a Pioneer VSX-534. The reason being that the sound of this set was far more impressive compared to everything else I heard and it would cost me only 10k more overall. The 6.5" woofer on the B-40 produces some impressive bass and I don't think I'll be missing a subwoofer much. I'll be adding the DNM speakers as surrounds. This will cost me Rs. 3500 for a pair, taking the total cost to 65000 + the cost of cables and installation.

I have already received and connected the B-40, will be posting my first impressions and experience in a new thread in a couple of days.

Hello friends. I've been down the HT rabbit hole over the last month or so and some of you might have noticed my multiple other posts.

Let me come straight to the point. I have the following two options right now:
  1. Mission M-cube +SE for 28000
  2. Tannoy HTS 201 5.1 (open box) for 42000
I'm really stretching my budget with the second one as it's crossing 75k with the AVR. So my question is, are the Tannoys worth it? Should I go for it considering a new one costs quite a bit more?
R you interested in JBL 5,1 package ??? Mint condition used ones available, 100 percent working, 90 percent cosmetics, # all original condition, no repair history # location Bangalore # shipping is possible all over India at extra cost

R you interested in JBL 5,1 package ??? Mint condition used ones available, 100 percent working, 90 percent cosmetics, # all original condition, no repair history # location Bangalore # shipping is possible all over India at extra cost
Thanks, but already got speakers, as mentioned in the last line of my previous post.

The Mission M-Cube + SE were a decent set of speakers. The sound clarity was good. I only found the bass a bit lacking, but otherwise I liked the speakers. Surprisingly, the Tannoys did not impress me at all. They sounded worse than Mission M-Cube with the exact same source and content. I do not know how this is possible, since they cost almost double that of Mission, but that does explain why it was quickly discontinued by Tannoy.

In the end, I decided to go with Taga Azure B-40 + Taga Azure C-40. This cost me Rs. 61500 with a Pioneer VSX-534. The reason being that the sound of this set was far more impressive compared to everything else I heard and it would cost me only 10k more overall. The 6.5" woofer on the B-40 produces some impressive bass and I don't think I'll be missing a subwoofer much. I'll be adding the DNM speakers as surrounds. This will cost me Rs. 3500 for a pair, taking the total cost to 65000 + the cost of cables and installation.

I have already received and connected the B-40, will be posting my first impressions and experience in a new thread in a couple of days.
looks like a good assembly. im newbie and want to know how you will connect Taga Azure B-40 + Taga Azure C-40 to your Pioneer VSX-534.

to which pins you will connect Taga Azure B-40 & Taga Azure C-40. if you done mind can you please let me know ?
1633353600198.png

One last query, can you please let me know by any chance did you build your own Streamer (Pi Zero + Volumio )

Last edited:
Taga B 40s would be Fronts and would be connected there. The Center speaker will go to the center speaker posts and surrounds if purchased would go to those channels.

Only the Front speaker wires can use Banana Plugs or bare wire ends....one needs to be careful to ensure AVR is off when connecting the wires and the right set of bare wires goes into the channel posts properly without touching the AVR body or each other.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back