Tannoy Studio Monitor Ellipse 8 with ESI Juli@ [computer sound card] !

Tannoy Ellipse are great active monitors - Let us know the price of it....post pics when ready.....

Rs. 125K/- with Stands - each is rather heavy - the stand i.e. 40 ++ kgs.
Can only deliver in Mumbai. Speaker I can ship - all India, but the stand has no packing & hence cannot be shipped.

Juli@ when you check amazon...

It's certainly spelt with an "@" --- see the ESI product page but, how is it pronounced? -a, or -at?

Oh, and the final line on that page says "Linux compatible." That's nice.

Shanti, the price of those KRKs is shocking. Probably it is a lot more than the ones I heard playing when I bought my humble M-Audio A40s, which were superb. The trouble is, I can never forget how good those KRKs sounded in the shop. Unrequited love: the family told me I didn't have enough money to marry their speakers :lol:

Last edited:
Shanti, the price of those KRKs is shocking. Probably it is a lot more than the ones I heard playing when I bought my humble M-Audio A40s, which were superb. :lol:

Yes;
They are a bit exp - only thing stopping my purchase is the Tannoy Ellipse 8 sale.
If that went, I would have got the Expose 8 !

The Expose 8 is one of the cheapest speaker in the world to use the JM Labs - Focal - BE Tweeter.
Therefore, they seem to be a 'reasonable' product, price point of view...

I actually wanted a Studio Monitor [Active] with T & P Accuton Drivers - like what I use @ home - I am used to that sound & would like to have the same in my office too...

I left out the "no" in the original post. Very embarrassing :eek: :eek: :eek:

Everything I read about Juli@ is good --- apart from the silly name!

In real life, everything you hear about Juli can be really juicey and nasty :licklips:
Actually the name sounds very pretty - I automatically assume the girl with such a name would be very lovely. :)

is it juli-at or juliA

Depending on ones personal history there can be both - A Juli and a Julia :eek:hyeah:

What was that hit song a few years back??

"A little bit of Juli by my side ... :eek:hyeah:
A little bit of Julia by my side ... :licklips:"

Sir,
The Juli@ has Balanced Analogue out, that can directly drive the Tannoy Ellipse 8, I assume..

?!!! Are these active speakers?

--G0bble

Last edited:
PS - I have a M Audio Delta 1010 for sale.
That was the older card I used to use, now it is spare with me.
So if some one wants it - 50 % off.
Rs.5K/- is what I will let it go @ !!
Do keep in mind.

pss I could not use it - no Balanced outs & that is what I need for Studio Monitors - they do not accept - RCA in - only XLR in works on the Tannoy Ellipse 8 !

?!!! Are these active speakers?
--G0bble

Yes Sir,

100 % Active - 3 way - 3 amps & 3 drivers per speaker.

Just need a XLR Balanced in & you are in business.

That is why I chose the Juli@
It gives to me card that can be 'swapped' between Balanced & RCA & I could drive my speakers direct - no pre amplifier is needed no power amplifier is needed.

p.s. Thumb rule - most studio monitors are 'active' !
The 'newer' ones are digital active !

Shanti, have you considered sound cards from Marian? I remember considered them when I bought my RME card years ago. Like RME, their range is studio targeted but also includes analogue i/o.

With its balanced analogue, the PRO AE sounds like it could suit you.
The TRACE PRO AE is a special version of the famous TRACE PRO and successfully meets up to the utmost expectations found in the field of broadcast. Like its role model this PCI audio system offers two analog and two digital in- and outputs at 24bit and 192kHz. For integration into a digital working environment a ll digital inputs may be used as synchronization source. Alternatively, and for even bigger flexibility, the AES/EBU input offers samplerate converters of the highest quality.

The main difference of the TRACE PRO AE to the TRACE PRO can be found in a simplistic hardware design, which is done without compromises for superior specifications and the transmission of high resolution formats with a maximum of dynamics. The specialty of the TRACE PRO AE hereby is a consistent balanced signal path up to the AD converter. This ensures a signal transmission, unsusceptible for disturbances up to the very last moment the digitalizing process. An exceptional S/N value and extremely low crosstalk are the astonishing result.

The next innovation can be found in the ingenious analog circuits, which require only a minimum of the necessary number of active electronic parts and thus effectively inhibit any additional source for unwanted noise. This concludes in the special qualification for the usage in working environments, which require an extreme precision in dynamic resolution. Responsible for this as well is the presumably most important change of the TRACE PRO AE: The individual adjustment of the analog level for each TRACE PRO AE according to customer requirements. Here, the digital maximum of 0dbfs can be adjusted to meet any analog level up to powerful 24dbu. Especially in permanent installations this annuls the need for analog or digital level adjustment and ensures the highest signal quality and biggest dynamic range, all the way.

Shanti, have you considered sound cards from Marian? I remember considered them when I bought my RME card years ago. Like RME, their range is studio targeted but also includes analogue i/o.

With its balanced analogue, the PRO AE sounds like it could suit you.

Thanks;

However, cost ?
430/- Euro is way more than the 150/- ++ I paid for the ESI.
The suggestion may be better, but might just be an over kill for the Tannoy - imho.

In-/Outputs
1 x stereo AES/EBU I/O (24/192)
1 x stereo Analog I/O (24/192)
1 x CDROM digital S/PDIF (internal)
1 x Word/Superclock Input (w. term.)
Samplerate Converter on digital input
TDM-SyncBus
Technical Data
PCI 2.3 card, 32 Bit, 3.3V/5V
Sample formats: 8, 16, 20, 24, 32 Bit Mono/Stereo
Digital Input
XLR AES/EBU (balanced), galvanic isolated
CDROM digital S/PDIF (internal)
Input voltage: from 0,2 Vss
Samplerates (lock range):
32 kHz to 192 kHz
Digital Output
XLR AES/EBU (balanced), galvanic isolated
Output voltage: 3,5 Vss (with 110 Ohm)
Samplerates: 28 kHz to 212 kHz (Single Wire Mode)
Analog Input
XLR balanced, via breakout cable
Impedance: 10 kOhm
Input level: +22 dBu
(other levels on request)
AD input leveling:
-48 dB to +18 dB
SNR AD @ 192 kHz:
105 dB / 108 dB(A)
THD+N @ -3 dBFS:
< 0,002 % / < -94 dB
Cross-talk attenuation:
< -115 dB
Frequency response @ 48 kHz:
+/- 0,2 db 20 Hz to 22 kHz
Frequency response @ 96 kHz:
+/- 0,2 db 20 Hz to 44 kHz
Frequency response @192kHz:
+/-0,2 db 20 Hz to 61 kHz
Channel Phase Difference:
20Hz - 20 kHz: 0 degree
Analog Output
XLR balanced, via breakout cable
Impedance: 75 Ohm
Output level: +22 dBu
(other levels on request)
DA output adjustment:
-78 dB to 0 dB
SNR DA @ 96kHz:
113 dB(A)
THD+N @ -1 dBFS:
< 0,001% / < -100 dB
Cross-talk attenuation:
< -115 dB
Frequency response @ 48 kHz:
+/- 0,2 db 20 Hz to 22 kHz
Frequency response @ 96 kHz:
+/- 0,2 db 20 Hz to 44 kHz
Frequency response @192kHz:
+/-0,2 db 20 Hz to 61 kHz
Channel Phase Difference:
20Hz - 20 kHz: 0 degree
Samplerate Conversion
Conversion ratio: 1:16 to 16:1
Dynamic range: 140 dB
THD+N: -140 dB
Wordclock-/Superclock Input
BNC connector
Input 10 kOhm - software adjustable termination to 75 Ohm
Input response: 1 Vss - 5,6 Vss
DC-Offset free; Schmitt trigger input; overvoltage protection
Synchronisation sources
Wordclock Input
AES/EBU Input
Internal
TDM SyncBus
Master and Slave mode
Driver Suite (MultiClient)
Windows 2000/XP/2003 Server/Vista/2008 Server, Windows 7
as 32-bit version each
WDM Audio, DirectSound, GSIF2, MME, ASIO 2.1, MXAPI, Advanced Multi-Client Support
Extensions (optional)
TDM SyncBus cable for multicard cascading

I hadn't really computed the cost, but now that I convert it to 374 UK pounds, 27 thousand rupees, I see what you mean. :eek:

However, if we ever found ourselves shopping at the Lynx/RME level, I think it would be one for the list. The Marian Marc2 (It would have been the Marc I considered years back) is what might be called the consumer member of the product range, at a mere 119 euros. However, it offers only unbalanced i/o.

The Expose 8 is one of the cheapest speaker in the world to use the JM Labs - Focal - BE Tweeter.

Yes they do use the beryllium and aluminum alloy tweeter(AIBeMET Inverted Dome) but it is not made by focal, i've read in many discussions that the driver used in the KRK Expose 8 is sourced from Asia.

Also the AIBe driver used in KRK goes upto 30khz while the focal Be goes up to 40khz, focal recently have starting making and marketing studio monitors in the name of JMlabs themselves so i guess they wont supply drivers that easily to a competitor.

Yes they do use the beryllium and aluminum alloy tweeter(AIBeMET Inverted Dome) but it is not made by focal, i've read in many discussions that the driver used in the KRK Expose 8 is sourced from Asia.

Also the AIBe driver used in KRK goes upto 30khz while the focal Be goes up to 40khz, focal recently have starting making and marketing studio monitors in the name of JMlabs themselves so i guess they wont supply drivers that easily to a competitor.

OK,
So the KRK Tweeter is not made by JM Labs.
Who makes it ?
Is the technology to make Beryllium available ? I know TAD & JBL have it & they make their own versions;

Besides, if some other company used the same material & made an inverted dome, would that not amount to infringement of intellectual property ? Some kind of a patent maybe ? I do not know, just asking.
Besides, I have not purchased the KRK, I was just considering it.
Only if the Tannoy sells, will I buy the KRK's ;)

OK,
So the KRK Tweeter is not made by JM Labs.
Who makes it ?
Is the technology to make Beryllium available ? I know TAD & JBL have it & they make their own versions;

Besides, if some other company used the same material & made an inverted dome, would that not amount to infringement of intellectual property ? Some kind of a patent maybe ? I do not know, just asking.
Besides, I have not purchased the KRK, I was just considering it.
Only if the Tannoy sells, will I buy the KRK's

Nothing against KRK Expose 8, i've read many people praising them in the pro audio discussion forums, yes only a very few companies are making the beryllium alloy diaphragms, Brush Wellman and FOCAL are among them not sure if JBL is still making them.

The owners of KRK Expose 8 have stated in different posts that the AIBeMET drivers were from Asia (at least for the new version being sold now), hence i posted. Not sure who makes them.

And why would we care who makes the drivers when the final product and sound quality is pretty good.:)

Last edited:
lovely! Don't you think that speakers can topple?

Yes;
Very high chance.
Hope it does not...
1st listen I like.

Most guys that want to do 'computer audio' [budget level] should come for a listen. 1100 to 1600 [Mon to Friday] !!
I think it plays well - not audiophilic - but damn good for music....:clapping:

:clapping:

:clapping:

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back