Tannoy Studio Monitor Ellipse 8 with ESI Juli@ [computer sound card] !

b-b-but... the whole idea of a good soundcard is that it has a good DAC already :cool:
I had safely assumed that M2Tech Hiface would suffice, but after going through this thread in detail(ROC's posts on comparison) and also discussing with Gobble, I am tending towards this route. But, as with most things I am taking a phased approach and will decide after I have listened to Analog outs of the card that I buy. Thanks for the other options too, will read up on them as well.

I can't argue with the phased approach :). Best way to go.

If you didn't agree, you views would have been considered out-of-phase with Santhosh's line of thought. :eek:hyeah:

Me thinks an ESI Juli@ is the cheapest way to improve the clocking and will help postpone a DAC purchase by months.

--G0bble

I had safely assumed that M2Tech Hiface would suffice, but after going through this thread in detail(ROC's posts on comparison) and also discussing with Gobble, I am tending towards this route. But, as with most things I am taking a phased approach and will decide after I have listened to Analog outs of the card that I buy. Thanks for the other options too, will read up on them as well.

Sir,

Can you shed some light, what it is that you want to do ?

The M2Tech Evo is a good product to use with an external DAC.
This may be a slightly expensive option - although the right thing to do.

Alternately - best VFM option is analogue out from a Sound Card.
ESI Julia / M Audio LT 1010 etc. etc.

What is it that you need ? What do you want to spend ? What do you want to replace ??
Please do shed some light....Maybe we all can suggest some option...

Gobble, the eternal problem is not to be too phased! Especially by the marketing men :)

My memory is phased out. Isn't Santosh's potential M2Tech device discussed on another thread? :eek:

Hi all,

Sorry to interrupt the thread. I have ordered a M-Audio-2496 Audiophile sound card from Amazon.com, cost me Rs.4k/-(Free Shipping within US). Will be delivered to my friend at US, and reach me thro him by 2nd week of Nov-2011. Presently am using a Creative Audigy value(Cost Rs.1250/-). Read reviews about the M-Audio and its SQ being better than the Creative Audigy. I request Forum members who have used or heard the M-Audio card to give an idea about its performance. My primary use will be for Vinyl conversion, and occasional playing of FLAC from my desktop.

The link for the card is :

Amazon.com: M-Audio Audiophile 2496 MIDI Digital Recording Interface: Musical Instruments

The cost seems to have increased since my order.

Thanks in advance.

N.Murali

Hi Thad,

Hope it sounds better. At Chennai I was quoted Rs.7300/- for M-Audio 2496 SoundCard, so the US pricing was attractive to me. The reviews at Amazon.com were very +ve wrt to the Creative Soundblaster Audigy, hence took a plunge. I will definitely give a detailed write-up, after spending a week or two with this card, especially from Vinyl conversion point of view.

N.Murali

I am looking to put together a Media PC and require a soundcard with good Analog out and very good Digital out. Plan is to use the Analog out until I buy a good DAC. Would appreciate if anyone can share details on where to buy the ESI Juli@ at a good price in Singapore.

Perhaps ESI wants us to pronounce Juli@ it as Juliet.

I dont think you need to have a good sound card if your plan is to get a good DAC in future as there are a lot of dacs with asynchronous USB i/p which makes the spdif out from a pc obsolete.

I dont think you need to have a good sound card if your plan is to get a good DAC in future as there are a lot of dacs with asynchronous USB i/p which makes the spdif out from a pc obsolete.
spot on;
well put.
usb out to M2Tech Evo to DAC is the best VFM option in my books;
Sound Card - Digital Out is only good for top end cards - entry level cards cannot do it well - imho
RME: Hammerfall DSP AES-32
This is the best option for digital out from a card to a DAC [very expensive]

Well I plan to get a good DAC with spdif only then try a usb-spdif bridge like audiophelio2 later next year. if I feel the itch to upgrade.

Cheers

Sir,

Can you shed some light, what it is that you want to do ?

The M2Tech Evo is a good product to use with an external DAC.
This may be a slightly expensive option - although the right thing to do.

Alternately - best VFM option is analogue out from a Sound Card.
ESI Julia / M Audio LT 1010 etc. etc.

What is it that you need ? What do you want to spend ? What do you want to replace ??
Please do shed some light....Maybe we all can suggest some option...
Hope you don't mind my putting in my requirements here on your thread. I will try to be brief:).

Well, I am trying to do a few things here. Firstly I am trying to consolidate a few AV Sources (Squeezebox Duet, PopCorn Hour and Sony PS3[currently being used as a BDP not much gaming]) and have just one Media PC that will work for both Music and Movies. I am covered for now from the Storage Point of View see here. Secondly, I have been using a Squeezebox Duet as a secondary source (primary is Project TT - pls see signature for specifics). Recently I tried outputting the digital-coaxial out from the SB to a $400 DAC. I found improvements in some areas and preferred my SB's DAC in some others. I could not justify the spend on the DAC considering I already had the SB which was doing OK. Since I had the consolidation plan, I decided to add this requirement as well.

I am not fussed about having an outboard DAC if the analog outs of the sound card is good enough. It will still be a secondary source for me as I know I have to spend a lot to beat my TT's performance. The soundcard should beat my SB and do a bit more and I'd be happy. I am handy with computers so no probs with assembling, installing, tweaking etc.

My memory is phased out. Isn't Santosh's potential M2Tech device discussed on another thread? :eek:
Not me Thad:). I must confess silently reading/learning from all your discussions, but I have not mentioned my plans for a PC based system or M2Tech anywhere.

Agree cmsajith, but there is a whole lot happening in the DAC space and I prefer to wait. By spending ~5to 8k on a card now, I'd be happy for now and I can test many more DACs in my system - USB, D-Coax etc and buy when some DAC really makes me want to buy it.

Agree cmsajith, but there is a whole lot happening in the DAC space and I prefer to wait. By spending ~5to 8k on a card now, I'd be happy for now and I can test many more DACs in my system - USB, D-Coax etc and buy when some DAC really makes me want to buy it.

ditto here!
which is why I have gone for a squeezebox touch and a cheapie Dacmagic for now!

TC Electronic | Level Pilot

This was delivered to me;
Came from USA.

Will connect it.

Essential part - now my MM & Foobar can run @ 100 % volume output & the computer volume too is @ 100 % & I can trim the volume of my Tannoy in the analogue domain...

Will take pics & post - soon.

It will also be connected in the set up within 24 hours - I hope.

:clapping:

Very nice.

The volume control on my entry-level monitor speakers is at my finger tips. For those whose active speakers either do not have such a control, or have one per speaker, intended for balance rather than minute to minute adjustment, this looks a great gadget.

Even I wouldn't mind having one just next to my mousepad!

Very nice.

The volume control on my entry-level monitor speakers is at my finger tips. For those whose active speakers either do not have such a control, or have one per speaker, intended for balance rather than minute to minute adjustment, this looks a great gadget.

Even I wouldn't mind having one just next to my mousepad!

The biggest 'up-side' is that there is no loss.

The Output from MM or Foobar is @ 100 % & the volume from the task bar too is 100 % & all the 'reduction' happens with the help of the TC Electronics - so there is no loss what so ever.
16 Bits / 44100 is given full out put by the sound card.

:rolleyes:

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back