Taste of Kerala

Do Aviyal (spell??) and Mysore pak qualify as mallu cuisine ? We used to have those a lot when growing up with Keralite neighbours and absolutely loved it.

Only avial or aviyal qualifies. Mysore pak, as the name suggest is from Karnataka state.

White lightning to stimulate the appetite with any or all of the following:

Tharaavu (duck) roast, thavala kaal, chemmeen, karimeen fry/pollichathu/moli, and of course to top it all konju made in traditional Kerala style.

For veg food, nothing like attending a Nair wedding and having the sadya!

Adaprathaman, and various other types of payasam to settle the stomach.

George

Barotta and chicken Fry with gravy adds to the national food of Trivandrum.
Lots of Mallus and lots of foodies in here:eek:hyeah:

To add to the list, Kanji(rice soup/gruel), payaru( green gram), kaduku manga achar( mango pickle) and pappad, served hot!

Not to forget kappa and erachi (cooked with beef), which nowadays goes by the silly name of kappa biriyani-I wonder which mutt thought that one up?

There is this one restaurant in Royapettah where we used to get really goof beef fry and chappathi forgot its name its a small restaurant used to be packed whenever I went there about 6yrs back

Are we irritating other users by discussing other users by doing this in this forum ??????????????????????

There is this one restaurant in Royapettah where we used to get really goof beef fry and chappathi forgot its name its a small restaurant used to be packed whenever I went there about 6yrs back

Are we irritating other users by discussing other users by doing this in this forum ??????????????????????

Please treat this thread as ONLY an Ice Breaker during the serious Discussions...:)

regards
studiomaster

Please treat this thread as ONLY an Ice Breaker during the serious Discussions...:)

regards
studiomaster
This is a serious discussion. ;)

Back in 90's there used to be a nice mallu restaurant at the erstwhile Kanishka Hotel (or was it next doors?) in New Delhi. It used to be a fav place of mine - to balance off the excess of north Indian cuisine whenever i used to visit Delhi.

@George
White lightening? How many %VV ? ;)

Ashok

I Know the Kanishka one, I went there once.

The white lightening is not tested scientifically-when the moonshiner feels that v/v is ok, they do a "burn test"-if the stuff burns with a blue flame then it is Q.C. check passed! BTW, I have some of it here, waiting to be liberated when you come in December.

Talking of v/v, I recently got a bottle of Bundaberg O.P.rum from Australia. The Aussies fondly refer to it as "Bundy"! I had never heard of this, and did a search on the web, and found that O.P. means overproof, and it is 57.6 v/v. or 40% stronger than the regular stuff-this is also waiting to be liberated by an experienced rum wallah like you!

George

This is a serious discussion. ;)

Back in 90's there used to be a nice mallu restaurant at the erstwhile Kanishka Hotel (or was it next doors?) in New Delhi. It used to be a fav place of mine - to balance off the excess of north Indian cuisine whenever i used to visit Delhi.

@George
White lightening? How many %VV ? ;)

I like their first albhum. its a very high quality rock albhum done by any indian.

Remember 13AD? I felt it was quite good!

13ad.jpg

Side A.
1. Bad Taste.
2. Ground Zero.
3. Desolate Prisoner.
4. Your Company.
5. Down Deep.

Side B.
1. Wont give up.
2. Revelation.
3. Fortunes Domain.
4. Cant make up my mind.
5. City Blues.
6. Rocking in Faith.

Reju, stop posting! You are gettin closer to 1000 mark. Or should I go Ayyo Reju pokalle, ayyo Reju pokalle( ayyo reju dont go!)? :p

The great thing about Avial is the way they have blended good malayalam lyrics with Rock!
13AD, will try to listen!

Remember 13AD? I felt it was quite good!

13ad.jpg

Side A.
1. Bad Taste.
2. Ground Zero.
3. Desolate Prisoner.
4. Your Company.
5. Down Deep.

Side B.
1. Wont give up.
2. Revelation.
3. Fortunes Domain.
4. Cant make up my mind.
5. City Blues.
6. Rocking in Faith.

Appam or Idiyappam with Mutton Stew especially very, very spicy is my personal favorite. I'm not a mallu and don't have very good restaurants for mallu food around here so my wife learnt this and makes it fairly regularly for me.

Some coconut and jaggery sweet dishes (sorry I don't remember the names).

Finally who can forget the mallu Banana chips. One of my best friends is a mallu "Jomon Joseph" who will carry tons of them for me from Kerala. Unfortunately none of the local chip makers can make Banana chips like these.

I believe you're referring to Kalpaga, behind the Music Academy. Their food was really good, like you said, 6-8 years ago. How is it now? Total crap. :mad:

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back