Taste of Kerala

Hi Malayalees................

What about Idiyappam and Kadala Curry or Idiyappan and Chicken Stoo.

Elambakka Fry and Porotta is also Yammy.

Sasneham,

Suresh

specifically north malabari stuff,..dont forget kadukka/kallumakkaya fry(mussels) and meen/chicken urikkiyathu with neriya(thin) dosa.yum :licklips:

damn,have only italian food to look forward to till i get home next.heh.

@ OP,..man,u really got a lot of us goin,huh??:p oh yeah...

I believe you're referring to Kalpaga, behind the Music Academy. Their food was really good, like you said, 6-8 years ago. How is it now? Total crap. :mad:

Gruby exactly thts the one it was pretty good at tht time when I was there then there was this one called Crescent in Numgambakkam rd near Pizza hut food was not great but tht was the only one which was open till 1 or 2 am so was really helpful for few of us

Anyone from Bangalore suggest me some good ones here been here for 4yrs now and kindly do not suggest kairali to me.

and sorry for my previous post I dint understand what I wrote in that when I read it now :eek:

...this one called Crescent in Numgambakkam rd near Pizza hut food was not great but tht was the only one which was open till 1 or 2 am so was really helpful for few of us...

Oh yeah, at 1 or 2 in the morning, there are not many choices in Chennai other than the 24-hour 'coffee' shops where you pay lots of money to eat their old stuff. :D The only thing you could order in Crescent these days without cursing them is the Biryani...

The white lightening is not tested scientifically-when the moonshiner feels that v/v is ok, they do a "burn test"-if the stuff burns with a blue flame then it is Q.C. check passed! BTW, I have some of it here, waiting to be liberated when you come in December.
Sounds excellent stuff and very very inviting. Seems the mallus have something to beat the fiery Chinese rice wine.

The desi stuff from the good old college days seem to have vanished. It great bangs-for-bucks substance (no money for fancy single malt those days lah ;) )

My favourite used to be the Saunf (Fennel) flavour which, unlike the Narangi or Sev (Apple), was impossible to adulterate. Even a drop of water and the darn thing will turn milky white, just as Dettol or Phenyl does. So you were sort of assured of the purity ;)
:thumbsup:

Yes the Malabari biriyani at Crescent was staple food for my son when he was studying 7-8 years ago on Loyola. I've also sampled it a few times, good stuff. The equivalents here in Bangaloe are Empire and Imperial-hard core Malabari Muslim cuisine-sampled some yesterday!

>Sounds excellent stuff and very very inviting. Seems the mallus have >something to beat the fiery Chinese rice wine.

Hi Ashok

What about the other homebrew stuff that we guys used to hear about in olden days-Santra or Thharra? When my eldest bro was in BITS Pilani, in the late 60's, I used to hear about santra. I dont recall what was the local brew when I was in Jamshedpur in the mid 1970's-we guys used to stick either to Kalyani laced with whisky/brandy, or army rum!

I know there are various varieties of moonshine all over the country-last year when my wife and I went to Jabalpur, enroute to Bandavgarh and Kanha, we were told that Mahua based stuff was what the tribals liked. When I visited Assam in May, I was told that they locals have their variant!

Don't worry about your trip here-I will make sure that you go back home singing a jolly song or two, after sampling some of the wares that I have waiting in my lair!

George

My favorites are Puttu and Kadala mixed with pappadam (Ellam koode kuzhachu urutti kazhikkunnathu - Mix everything together and make small balls and eat slowly!!) and Appam and Muttacurry or Kadala curry again....and also Kanji and payar or kadala......Rice and Mambazha koottan (A dish made of ripe and sweet mango),Idly or Dosa with ullichammanthi.... I can go on and on and on......

>Santra..
Santra = Narangi. same same only ;)

Sir, I am planning to drive to and fro Bangaluru. With wifey and daughter on tows. Singing a jolly good song lased with the best of spirits (pun intended) would be a little scary for even them. :lol:

>ullichammanthi
Isn't that tangy onion+tamarind+coconut chutney stuff? Mouthwatering.

>ullichammanthi
Isn't that tangy onion+tamarind+coconut chutney stuff? Mouthwatering.

Its onion+redchilly+salt+tamarind+oil different ppl make diff variety...so fry the small onion and red chilly a little and then grind it into a paste with other ingredients etc

Check out Motherjane. motherjane - the sound of indian rock This is easily the best mallu rock (and Indian rock) ever. Their new album Maktub, is actually some of the best music of any kind that I have heard. This album was quite appropriately picked by Rolling Stone as the best Indian record of 2008. Songs are available for download on the site.

Remember 13AD? I felt it was quite good!

13ad.jpg

Side A.
1. Bad Taste.
2. Ground Zero.
3. Desolate Prisoner.
4. Your Company.
5. Down Deep.

Side B.
1. Wont give up.
2. Revelation.
3. Fortunes Domain.
4. Cant make up my mind.
5. City Blues.
6. Rocking in Faith.

Check out Motherjane. motherjane - the sound of indian rock This is easily the best mallu rock (and Indian rock) ever. Their new album Maktub, is actually some of the best music of any kind that I have heard. This album was quite appropriately picked by Rolling Stone as the best Indian record of 2008. Songs are available for download on the site.

Have you d/l the songs? I want to know if they are giving FLAC or any other lossless format or are they MP3 rips? Plan to d/l if lossless or else will have to order Audio CD.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back