Tata Sky - DVD Quality??

I dont understand this squarewave. Are you saying that ghosting is present more in CRT than in LCD? I have watched 50+inch Plasmas from Panasonic (Viera) and they are an eyesore when watching fast moving sports action. For anybody with an LCD or a Plasma TV, just try following the cricket ball with your eyes when watching a match. I think that should show you what I mean. The blur effect produced on a ball - even a football mind you - is mighty offputting.

This ghosting is there when you watch football or cricket on regular broadcast TV right ?
Try watching a match in Blu-ray. I mean a recorded match on blu-ray. You will not see it.
The issue here is that the plasma or LCD is trying to interpolate a low resolution, 50 hz flicker image to the plasma or LCD and it is struggling to do so. Give it what it deserves and it will do it right. Btw: all this crappy low -res boroadcast you see now will be history in a decade and hopefully we will have full hd broadcasts like how they have in the west. They are all enjoying full motion sports on plasmas and LCDs even now. No complaints :D
All thse CRTs will also be history by then. Btw: Sony has stopped production of their CRT tvs worldwide.

This ghosting is there when you watch football or cricket on regular broadcast TV right ?
Try watching a match in Blu-ray. I mean a recorded match on blu-ray. You will not see it.
The issue here is that the plasma or LCD is trying to interpolate a low resolution, 50 hz flicker image to the plasma or LCD and it is struggling to do so. Give it what it deserves and it will do it right. Btw: all this crappy low -res boroadcast you see now will be history in a decade and hopefully we will have full hd broadcasts like how they have in the west. They are all enjoying full motion sports on plasmas and LCDs even now. No complaints :D
All thse CRTs will also be history by then. Btw: Sony has stopped production of their CRT tvs worldwide.

Well, most of what I regularly watch on regular TV is sports. If that is going to take a decade, then I am not sure I can wait for so long to upgrade my display!:)

By the way, I have seen a DVD being demonstrated on a Viera Plasma as well as a Sony 42 inch Plasma. The Viera was supposed to be an IPS panel too. That DVD was a World Cup football game and there was still ghosting - enough to bother anybody intent on following the ball with their eyes.

I do not know whether that was a Blu Ray disc or not, but if the Plasma cannot do justice to fast moving action on DVD, then that is not for me. At least not with today's technology.

What I am convinced about for now is that for people who watch a very high percentage of sports action, there is nothing to beat the CRT as of today. I certainly hope this changes sooner rather than later. After all I need an excuse to upgrade, right?:)

If you watch a sports DVD on a good plasma with upscaling players using the faroudja or anchor bay chip (well implemented) eg: oppo 981, 983 and some other very expensive players, you won??t see this problem. The issue is not with the Plasma, It is with the signal that is fed into it. We play PS3 games with much faster moving objects on Lcds, Plasmas etc.. No problem.

If you watch a sports DVD on a good plasma with upscaling players using the faroudja or anchor bay chip (well implemented) eg: oppo 981, 983 and some other very expensive players, you won??t see this problem. The issue is not with the Plasma, It is with the signal that is fed into it. We play PS3 games with much faster moving objects on Lcds, Plasmas etc.. No problem.

I get you square_wave:) It is just that all that is way too much trouble. In any case, I love watching live sports action and for now I cant do much about it in LCD or Plasma TVs.

And just in case you are wondering I do know and acknowledge the advantage of good LCD monitors. I have a Dell Ultrasharp LCD 20 inch wide computer monitor and simply love movies as well as games on it. The brightness, contrast and trueness of colour is something out of this world. It is an S-IPS panel too. So, yes, I do know where you are coming from. But see all this still does not address the problem of watching live matches. It may be the fault of the telecast, but at least I do not have these problems when watching on CRT.

If I were to watch movies dedicatedly I would definitely think of a Plasma or an LCD. Thank you for your thoughts.

but todays crts are not as good as the old ones,even from a company like sony,u are better off buying keeping ur old crt,in my case had a bought a second sony crt apart from my lcd,the new sony wega was to replace my old sony 21inch tv and while the new tv has more featues its no way as good as my old sony crt which i regret exchanging,in the new sony crt its hard to get good shadow details or any details in say a guy who is wearing a coat,u can get the details if u crank the brightness to 75 to 80%,in doing so the whites are so bright that it hurts ur eyes,there was no such problem in my old 21inch crt which use to show good shadow details with just 35% brightness,the funny thing is my sony lcd is able to show more details even when u set the contrast levels at 50% and backlight to bare minimum ,compared to sony new crt which the contrast was set to near 80% or even to maximum and brightness to 80%

Tata Sky video quality is far below that of any well mastered original DVD and the sound quality is mono not even stereo and much below the standard 44.1 khz quality. Absolute nonsense the quality is not even near to dvd or cd. Their claim is completely false.The video is highly compressed mpeg2 with compression artifacts clearly visible.
:cool:)

I agree about the quality, but I think the sound is supposed to be stereo. Though you cannot make out in many cases.

Thanks,
Sharad

Hell NOOO!

Both Dish TV and Tata SKY offer video via composite out....

but the common issue to both is their use of LOW BIT-RATE MPEG2, FULL OF MOTION COMPENSATION ARTIFACTS..... THIS IS NOT DVD QUALITY.... I am sorry to scream, but Tata Sky should be sued in court for telling a bunch of lies regarding picture quality. :mad:

But Dish TV is even worse, with more blocky artifacts.

Is Airtel / Reliance better?.. because, MPEG4 reduces bandwidth overhead

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back