Tata sky or Airtel digital tv

The price of the Hathway STB depends on where you live within the city and who your cable operator is. Hathway purchased a lot of STBs four years back when there was a possibility of CAS being made mandatory. Eventually this did not happen, and those boxes are gathering dust. You can get one installed for anything between Rs 2K to Rs 0(free).

These boxes are 5 years old and have only composite out for video. My DishTV box too is not any better, but these days you can get satellite STBs with component out.

Thanks,
Sharad

The price of the Hathway STB depends on where you live within the city and who your cable operator is. Hathway purchased a lot of STBs four years back when there was a possibility of CAS being made mandatory. Eventually this did not happen, and those boxes are gathering dust. You can get one installed for anything between Rs 2K to Rs 0(free).

These boxes are 5 years old and have only composite out for video. My DishTV box too is not any better, but these days you can get satellite STBs with component out.

Thanks,
Sharad

I am using the hathway stb for past 2-3 years. No issues with the STB so far. My son butchered the remote though, they replaced it for something like 50 bucks. Whenever there is an issue, I call the guy, he comes within half an hour, I have his mobile number. I am extremely satisfied with the service and picture quality. Dont see any difference between the picture quality of digital cable and dish. No dish hanging out on my terrace. All internal cabling. No "bad quality picture" during rains. Awesome service.
And my cable wallah tells me that they probably will get HD before the big guys, not sure how true that is though. I will switch if and only if someone offers HD at a reasonable price.

The Hathway digi box is decent enough.
We had two connections, one in the Hall with the Digi Box and the other in the room without the Digi Box. The difference was clearly visible, firstly in the nos of additional channels and the PQ that was enhanced because of the Hathway Digi Box.

It also saves the hassles of the Dish Install and the price/package combintions that is involved with the Satelite STBs.

As we moved to a new place now and that Hathway in this area, I went for Tata Sky. I see no diff in PQ, but I am just paying more.

Hi Guys,

Do any of you know what is the brand name of Big TV STBox, it will be helpful to tune my all in one remote. I have no issues with Big TV and quality of the telecast is as good as HD.

Regards

sub

Hi Guys,

Do any of you know what is the brand name of Big TV STBox, it will be helpful to tune my all in one remote. I have no issues with Big TV and quality of the telecast is as good as HD.

Regards

sub

well i guess u havent seen HD,but big tv PQ is better then the rest the same cannot be said for their after sales and service,and their STB.
now big tv currently has 2 stbs one is hyundai and other is UEC.

Hi

well i guess u havent seen HD,but big tv PQ is better then the rest the same cannot be said for their after sales and service,and their STB.

Unfortunatly I have PS3 and Panny LCD so I think I know what is HD. Any signel transmitted thru component video output is HD signels as Component video is capable of carrying signals such as 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p but you should have a tv with component video input and that's why i said as good as HD thou transmission is not HD.

Regarding service, so far i have not had any problems in chennai.

Thank you for suggesting Big Tv STB brand names.

Regards

sub

Hi

Any signel transmitted thru component video output is HD signels as Component video is capable of carrying signals such as 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p but you should have a tv with component video input and that's why i said as good as HD thou transmission is not HD.

well how can any transmitted video through component be HD ,hope its a typo.since once u say that and the next u say although its not HD transmission.

anyway about BIG tv remote well the hyundai STB remote works with UEC and vice versa so my guess is big tv has a custom designed remote frequency so u will need to use the learning function.

Hi

well how can any transmitted video through component be HD ,hope its a typo.since once u say that and the next u say although its not HD transmission.

Any video thru component gets its colours seperated (Red, Green, and Blue) so when you connect it to a TV with Progressive scan it gives more vivid colour depth which is all HD is all about. When the transmission itself is in HD it will have more colour depth than one can imagine.

Regards

sub

Hi

Any video thru component gets its colours seperated (Red, Green, and Blue) so when you connect it to a TV with Progressive scan it gives more vivid colour depth which is all HD is all about. When the transmission itself is in HD it will have more colour depth than one can imagine.

Regards

sub

well once again u cant call it HD,i have my big tv connected via profigold cable,and my xbox(v1) connected via component and i can tell u its aint HD or anywhere near HD.

well once again u cant call it HD,i have my big tv connected via profigold cable,and my xbox(v1) connected via component and i can tell u its aint HD or anywhere near HD.

big tv has the best pic quality undoubtedly. but its far from even dvd quality.
i use an mx component cable to connect it with my lcd. am having the stb2, the smaller stb.

and about HD, HD is 1080i or 1080p (1920x1080). or atleast anything more than 720p (720p is HD ready). and no...big tv is in NO WAY HD!

Last edited:
guys just a quick one - what is the signal strength that you all get on the tata sky.

I usually get a singal strength of 80-90% and signal quality of 10-20% - needless to say i am not satisfied with the picture quality.

Also in some channels (whites form a 3d layer sort of in the picture as if jutting out) - i never faced this problem on any dvd or HD movies that I have tried on the panny pv8. Neither in games.

guys just a quick one - what is the signal strength that you all get on the tata sky.

I usually get a singal strength of 80-90% and signal quality of 10-20% - needless to say i am not satisfied with the picture quality.

Also in some channels (whites form a 3d layer sort of in the picture as if jutting out) - i never faced this problem on any dvd or HD movies that I have tried on the panny pv8. Neither in games.

dont give much of a thought about pic quality. in india, true dvd quality stuff in dth is far off! but as far as pic quality is concerned, big tv via component wins hands down!

anyway, coming to ur white jutting out thingy, reduce the sharpness of ur tv set. set it to 8 to 10/100.

Regarding cable modems-

I stay at Vashi ,Navi Mumbai ( To be precise in a suberb called Sanpada)
Now I dunno if we've hathway cable but there is cable operators consortium called you scod 18 -

Now the best part - we were offered Cisco set top box FREE!!!!:yahoo::yahoo::lol::clapping: and charges are currently 150 Rs - for some strage reasons sometimes charges shoot up to Rs 250 and sometimes it is reduced to Rs 50!!!

No choice - single package --all possible channels shown !!!( I do not lik sports at all - but they show sports as well as HBO ,Star Movies <VH 1 etc)

Quality is good with composite -- sometimes I think tata sky is "marginally" better ( although it requires a keen A-B testing)

Now I do not watch TV much and waiting for some sort of Semi HD or Partial HD TV -this option works for me !!!

Mufat ka chandan - ghis mere Nandan!!!!!
:eek:hyeah::lol::yahoo:

Last edited:
Big TV is horrid

big tv has the best pic quality undoubtedly. but its far from even dvd quality.
i use an mx component cable to connect it with my lcd. am having the stb2, the smaller stb.

and about HD, HD is 1080i or 1080p (1920x1080). or atleast anything more than 720p (720p is HD ready). and no...big tv is in NO WAY HD!

Big TV good??!

It's even more blocky than Tata Sky! :lol:

via component a bit better definitely. pixellations are lesser. using it now, quite happy with it.
So the feed is the same? The only difference is that one uses component instead of composite?
Is there any additional wiring/equipment required from the dish to the stb?

well it may be if u are a TS fanboy.

Definitely not a fanboy! I have both TataSky and Big TV(via component) and although both are way below DVD, TataSky has less pixellation and more consistent quality across channels. Some of the Big TV channels look like water colour paintings! :lol:

via component a bit better definitely. pixellations are lesser. using it now, quite happy with it.

I will either go for Tata Sky+ or Airtel Digital TV. Let's see.

How is IPTV?

But one thing... I am a bit surprised that nobody has yet taken TataSky/BigTV/DishTV to consumer court for telling damn lies regarding their picture quality!

What's the use of buying full HD TVs if broadcasts are VCD quality?

Definitely not a fanboy! I have both TataSky and Big TV(via component) and although both are way below DVD, TataSky has less pixellation and more consistent quality across channels. Some of the Big TV channels look like water colour paintings! :lol:

I will either go for Tata Sky+ or Airtel Digital TV. Let's see.

How is IPTV?

But one thing... I am a bit surprised that nobody has yet taken TataSky/BigTV/DishTV to consumer court for telling damn lies regarding their picture quality!

What's the use of buying full HD TVs if broadcasts are VCD quality?

IPTV has a long way to go. It needs loads of channel additions, and I'm still doubtful of BSNL's customer service.

If Tata Sky Plus is one of ur options, why ru thinking of ADTV? I personally dont think ADTV will be able to launch their DVR by this year or even early next. Infact I dont think they have a plan of bringing out a DVR anytime soon.

Tata Sky plus is a complete value for money thing. Have been using it now for almost 6 months, never had a complaint.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back