TD160 Turntable

anilva

Recently I had taken out my TD160 which was in storage to perform TLC and bring it back to shape.

Realized how simple and well built this turntable is. Uncomplicated and can give years of service, with just occasional belt change.

The sound is smooth and relaxing and not in your face type. Inherent nature of belt drives.

The SME 3009 Series II upgrade that I did many years ago seems to be in immaculate condition. The combo is a visual delight.

Attaching the pictures.

Cheers

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 198
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Anil, TD 160 is an excellent TT with the SME combination. Many users do not ensure that the SME arm should be fixed on the suspension of the player's structure and should move or sync with the platter at the same time should be isolated from the top plate because the top plate is one piece unlike TD 150 and 125. TD 160 Super is also very good TT. Your TT appears to be suspended with isolation.
Cheers

Anil, TD 160 is an excellent TT with the SME combination. Many users do not ensure that the SME arm should be fixed on the suspension of the player's structure and should move or sync with the platter at the same time should be isolated from the top plate because the top plate is one piece unlike TD 150 and 125. TD 160 Super is also very good TT. Your TT appears to be suspended with isolation.
Cheers

That's correct. The SME tonearm is mounted onto the suspended sub-chassis and moves in sync with the platter. It is not mounted to the top plate. Works very well.

Cheers.

Brings back fond memories of my TD160 Super, fitted with a Grace 707, which I used for 9 years. Sold it in 2008, to make way for a 401. Superb build quality with sound that rivalled the LP 12, my second TT at the time.
Cheers!

At present I am also using a TD160, which I bought last year from a dear FM. I had read so much about the simplistic construction of this table and the fact that it was perfect if one wished to modify it.

I have gotten a Sheesham plinth made and use a DIY unipivot wooden medium mass 12" arm with it to mount a Denon DL-103R. The arm has been carefully mounted so that the coupling of the arm board is in complete sync with the platter.

This is my upgrade path from a Direct Drive (Denon DP-37f). And the results are really phenomenal. Belt Drive and especially after the mods, this table sounds incredibly organic and comforting. Music sounds so fluid and this table has taken the edges off. I am extremely happy with it. Kudos to Viren sir for helping me out with this project.

Once time permits, I will do a separate thread on my project with pictures.

Yes a 12" arm. Had to cut a metallic plate and mount it by calculating the distance where it should be placed so the arm's pivot point comes at a proper distance to reach the plinth. The plinth was made bigger to accommodate all this.Will post the pictures later.

Last edited:
Stunning, indeed.

I have been using a TD 160 for the past 7-8 years, and it continues to give me immense joy. Although I still have the Thorens straight tone arm and a couple of cartridge installations (V15 Type III and M44-7), I don't mind it. It is a joy for ever!

Atanu

Recently I had taken out my TD160 which was in storage to perform TLC and bring it back to shape.

Realized how simple and well built this turntable is. Uncomplicated and can give years of service, with just occasional belt change.

The sound is smooth and relaxing and not in your face type. Inherent nature of belt drives.

The SME 3009 Series II upgrade that I did many years ago seems to be in immaculate condition. The combo is a visual delight.

Attaching the pictures.

Cheers

my technics turntable model no. SL1900 stopped spinning. I checked voltage by removing the platter and also the motor assembly completely from main circuit board, as there's a Jack type. I note the voltage of ic pins n 2 transistors showing abnormal volts.transistor no.2SC1226 &2SC828.AND IC-AND630U.
do I have to check resistor n caps by desoldering single point? And zener diodes.?Please advise.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back