Technics SL-Q200

sudhirbhosale

Hi all
My friend selling Technics SL-Q200. I am planning to buy that. Need below information:
1. How is this model?
2. Are there known issues specific to this model?
3. What is level i.e. Entry level / mid level
4. Cost and result of cartriage used?
5. Price of needle
6. Any other useful info.

Thanks

It's a technics quartz dd turntable. You really can't go wrong with one.
No model specific issues, though you might want to check the usual suspects
This is a lower mid range TT
Cart, since this is a p Mount, it will probably come with an audio techica cart and needle, as there are very few options in p Mount. The only choice you have is conical vs elliptical needle.

Price depends on where you buy from.

My feedback:

1. How is this model? - all Technics direct drives are good turntables, if in running condition and well maintained. This model is a quartz controlled version with good speed reliability. It is a semi-automatic which means, manual start of play with auto return on completion of the playing side. Has an tonearm lift for cueing which is very useful. Does not have pitch controls but the quartz controlling circuitry is generally extremely accurate if working properly.

2. Are there known issues specific to this model? - bearing wear (if not properly serviced) but this is very rare and unless the turntable has been abused. The controls can get a bit unreliable due to exposure to dust, this can be easily overcome with cleaning. Take out the platter carefully and check the underside areas near the spindle hole for cracks, bends or breaks on what you see there. In my personal view, the tonearm is the major downside of this turntable. I have used various Technics tonearms and turntables, my view is that their straight tonearms are not that great. They generally need careful calibration and tend to be unreliable with tracking (especially on turntables from the pre-used market which have not been handled carefully in the past). Straight tonearms also tend to play newer records, very well but are exposed on older records especially with in-groove distortion and skipping. Also the p-mount cartridge used on it, reduces the options you can try. Most of the p-mount cartridges available are generally entry level while the 1/2 inch mount cart option gives you a great variety to choose from across price and quality ranges. In my opinion, avoid Technics turntables with straight tonearms and always go for Technics direct drives with s-shaped tonearms, with 1/2 inch mount cartridge shells.

3. What is level i.e. Entry level / mid level - Definitely mid-level, technics direct drives are definitely not entry level. A good example of a Technics entry-level turntable is the SLBD20B. These Technics turntables, if properly calibrated and carefully handled, can be made to sound like high quality turntables, with the right placement, cartridge, phonostage, amplification and speakers.

4. Cost and result of cartriage used? - price is subjective, depends on a lot of factors. Regarding cartridge, please refer to my views on point-2

5. Price of needle - depends on the cartridge used. Buying a replacement stylus in most cases is almost as expensive as replacing the whole cartridge and stylus as a combo. This is especially the case with p-mount cartridges, like the ones used on this turntable model.

6. Any other useful info - Technics direct drive turntables are always in high demand. Those who own them seldom sell, even if they upgrade to higher stuff (like me, have the Technics SP10 Mk2, but still retain my favourite SL3200). You'd have to take someone along, who is quite familiar with what to look for, while buying in the pre-used market. Avoid buying from Indian sellers without inspecting (other than those listed in the For Sale section on HFV). Avoid shipping as packing a turntable requires expert knowledge of packaging techniques and knowledge of how to dismantle key parts of a turntable. You'd also need to know how to put these back all together again, once you receive your shipment :)

My feedback:

1. How is this model? - all Technics direct drives are good turntables, if in running condition and well maintained. This model is a quartz controlled version with good speed reliability. It is a semi-automatic which means, manual start of play with auto return on completion of the playing side. Has an tonearm lift for cueing which is very useful. Does not have pitch controls but the quartz controlling circuitry is generally extremely accurate if working properly.

2. Are there known issues specific to this model? - bearing wear (if not properly serviced) but this is very rare and unless the turntable has been abused. The controls can get a bit unreliable due to exposure to dust, this can be easily overcome with cleaning. Take out the platter carefully and check the underside areas near the spindle hole for cracks, bends or breaks on what you see there. In my personal view, the tonearm is the major downside of this turntable. I have used various Technics tonearms and turntables, my view is that their straight tonearms are not that great. They generally need careful calibration and tend to be unreliable with tracking (especially on turntables from the pre-used market which have not been handled carefully in the past). Straight tonearms also tend to play newer records, very well but are exposed on older records especially with in-groove distortion and skipping. Also the p-mount cartridge used on it, reduces the options you can try. Most of the p-mount cartridges available are generally entry level while the 1/2 inch mount cart option gives you a great variety to choose from across price and quality ranges. In my opinion, avoid Technics turntables with straight tonearms and always go for Technics direct drives with s-shaped tonearms, with 1/2 inch mount cartridge shells.

3. What is level i.e. Entry level / mid level - Definitely mid-level, technics direct drives are definitely not entry level. A good example of a Technics entry-level turntable is the SLBD20B. These Technics turntables, if properly calibrated and carefully handled, can be made to sound like high quality turntables, with the right placement, cartridge, phonostage, amplification and speakers.

4. Cost and result of cartriage used? - price is subjective, depends on a lot of factors. Regarding cartridge, please refer to my views on point-2

5. Price of needle - depends on the cartridge used. Buying a replacement stylus in most cases is almost as expensive as replacing the whole cartridge and stylus as a combo. This is especially the case with p-mount cartridges, like the ones used on this turntable model.

6. Any other useful info - Technics direct drive turntables are always in high demand. Those who own them seldom sell, even if they upgrade to higher stuff (like me, have the Technics SP10 Mk2, but still retain my favourite SL3200). You'd have to take someone along, who is quite familiar with what to look for, while buying in the pre-used market. Avoid buying from Indian sellers without inspecting (other than those listed in the For Sale section on HFV). Avoid shipping as packing a turntable requires expert knowledge of packaging techniques and knowledge of how to dismantle key parts of a turntable. You'd also need to know how to put these back all together again, once you receive your shipment :)
What a great way of explanation ... too good and useful in order to take decision.

If this trend is only on that specific record and at that specific point on that record, then its simple. Your old LP has a damaged groove.

I could think of three issues
1. Anti skate calibration (Google if you dont know what this means)
2 auto return mechanism interfering with tonearm free movement
3 tonearm bearing damage ( pray that it is not this!)
Thanks greenhorn
Regarding point #1 . This model has factory set antiskate. No adjustment screw. For such models is there way to tweak Antiskate? i.e. some weight adjustment below by opening body?

Thanks
Thanks

I hope the lift mechanism is letting the tonearm lower fully. The lift mechanism bench should sink fully when the tonearm is lowered. This is in addition to the above points. Move the tone arm slowly to the end the record and back to the start (of course, not engaging with the surface of the record) and carefully ascertain whether movement is un-interrupted.

buy a jewelers scale on ebay - costs a few hundred
https://www.ebay.in/itm/MH-Jeweller...582510?hash=item1ed3bfd1ae:g:6i0AAOSwUn9aDchH

First adjust the tonearm weight ( there should be a screw) so that it is perfectly balanced - see if it moves freely across. If it doesnt. that's your problem right there - find out where it is getting stuck and why if its because of auto return, or the bearing

If not, set the tracking weight properly using the gauge

also, is the TT on a level surface?

My feedback:

I just purchased this model but I can barely hear the music coming out of the speakers. I tried it with 2 different receivers (amplifiers) and several different sets of RCA jacks. My other turntables sound great with these receivers but this particular turntable I just purchased doesn't seem to be putting out a strong signal. I sprayed contact cleaner in the RCA jacks but it didn't seem to make a difference at all. Any ideas?

I just purchased this model but I can barely hear the music coming out of the speakers. I tried it with 2 different receivers (amplifiers) and several different sets of RCA jacks. My other turntables sound great with these receivers but this particular turntable I just purchased doesn't seem to be putting out a strong signal. I sprayed contact cleaner in the RCA jacks but it didn't seem to make a difference at all. Any ideas?
Sounds like you are trying to use your turntable without a phono stage. The output of a magnetic phono cartridge is very low and requires a special preamplification stage known as a phono stage or phono preamplifier for providing the adequate gain for the inputs on regular amplifiers. Some amplifiers have in-built phonostages and can accept turntable inputs (phono inputs) directly. If your amp has an inbuilt phonostage and you are facing this issue, you'd have to run further checks on the signal path from the cartridge to your amplifier and thereafter inside the amplifier.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back