tees maar khan lp released. we wont buy it.

entsurgeon

indore specifically opposite my denon wharfedale (
to whomsoever it may concern:
sirs..
on behalf of all vinylphils from india who contributed to the minuscule revenue generated by sales of jhootha hi sahi lps i d like to make a point:
if u keep releasing titles like tees maar khan on lps and expect us to actually buy it, and top it with your field evaluation about reviving the lp format in india you are going off the marks.
jhootha hi sahi is the only ar rahman hindi lp to b released ever and was also percieved by us as a spot on way to give u useful feedback about vinyl revival hence we didn t mind shelling out the load. we lapped it up asap.
further, those of us who are having no new vinyls to caliberate our systems found it useful as a referance tool. another reason to lap it up.
expecting to sell munni badnaam hui or a sheila ki jawani on lps,that we ve already had an overdose of via fm n house music, is plain atyaachaar.they r item numbers. they just dont cut ice.
please give us good music on lps and rest assured revival is around the corner.
give us a guzaarish or i hate love stories at least.
please note that for your industry to thrive, passion and the acts driven by it(audio ones in this context) shall b promoted.
you have ridiculed us passionate guys by choosing tmk vinyl for production.
well you could at least have cut an lp of as yet unreleased on lp bollywood songs from your own library with this title and the response have been altogather different.
take vinyls to the masses.
due respect,
entsurgeon
ps: if u did what u did keeping something else in mind, we are still listening... albeit to the tunes of an era gone by.

Last edited:
Saw Tees Maar Khan & Jhootha Hi Sahi lps retailing for 500 rupees with roadside vendors on Dharamtalla Street in Kolklata . A straight 99 rupee discount whereas big stores charge full MRP.
Regards

Saw Tees Maar Khan & Jhootha Hi Sahi lps retailing for 500 rupees with roadside vendors on Dharamtalla Street in Kolklata . A straight 99 rupee discount whereas big stores charge full MRP.
Regards
Did you check Symphony?

I believe PATIALA HOUSE LP is also being released. Yet to lay my hands on it.

Have JHOOTHA HI SAHI LP though.

Had skipped TMK LP coz didn't find the music all that great. I wish they had released KHELEIN HUM JEE JAAN SEY on LP format - that would have been sth interesting since the music in KHJJS relies on 'live' instruments. It would have been fun hearing a flute, sitar and violins on vinyl.

Just to update - I *did* buy TMK - though IMHO it has bad music :|

And yes, have also now bought Patiala House vinyl.

Awaiting the next LP release - I hope it's of sth good :)

i today bought TMK, Patiala House & Jhootha Hi Sahi.
although i dont like all of the above too much (got it for kids and my wife) but i still went ahead and bought it because if we do not support to the companies that the vinyls are in demand then they would not come up with more
i am not being partial to any music label or album but just trying to make a point to show to the music labels that we are there to buy if you come up with good albums

>>>

I have the feeling and I might be totally wrong - if HMV ( aka Saregama) were to clean up their archived material and re -release records from films like Guide, Teesri Manzil, Jhanak Jhanak Paayal Baje, Anubhav, Hum Dono, Mughal E Azam and so on, there might be a better buzz leading to better sales.

Without good lyrics, melody,rhythm,and vocalists blessed with powerful and clear voices, all the efforts of the music houses won't be able to put Humpty Dumpty together again.

My view, might be completely wrong.

Regards

Unfortunately, there is a rather slim chance of any genuine effort in that direction, as HMV can't be bothered to do a decent cleanup job even for their digital releases, never mind the miniscule analog market

Most of HMVs stuff is now only on the digital format. I believe most original masters are no longer there with them. So as far as old hindi stuff is concerned it is better to stick with the old pressings.

genuine revival wont come by releases and re releases.
most 40+ ppl dont know that tts and carts etc are still available.
revival will come from mass media propogation of its prose and price.
also, new users wont come in unless theres a good but cheaper player @<10k off the shelf. and that price includes a great cart, cheap 50-100 inr stylus and a in built phono stage.
anyone game?

genuine revival wont come by releases and re releases.
most 40+ ppl dont know that tts and carts etc are still available.
revival will come from mass media propogation of its prose and price.
also, new users wont come in unless theres a good but cheaper player @<10k off the shelf. and that price includes a great cart, cheap 50-100 inr stylus and a in built phono stage.
anyone game?

Even many people who love the sound of LPs, keep away from adopting this medium because of the various overheads involved (read, high cost of LPs/TTs, maintainance of TTs, unavailability of good affordable TTs in India). I consider myself one such victim who is ready to jump into this arena at the word go, but only restricted by the overheads mentioned above. :mad:

>>>

I have a slightly different take here, although I have no expertise or data to back my point of view. Analogue sound being a minority taste and 'different' from the regular digital systems available will likely have a premium.

Also when a new product or service is introduced it is likely to be targeted at the top of the pyramid and so might be priced higher. Now analogue may be a very old medium but it had virtually vanished with the onset of cheaper audio cassettes and then with the coming of cheaper audio CDs and then with the mp3/mp4 medium purveying thousands of songs.

Expecting inexpensive turntables and tonearms, cartridges, phono pre-amps, power amps, cables and speakers for a good hifi might be too much when the market for such a product is miniscule in India. Moreover most of the products are imported here and customs duties and taxes comprise a substantial proportion of the price that an enthusiast will have to shell out.

A rough calculation suggests that an SME 10 available overseas (in Britain) is sold at 140% here ( i.e., 40% higher). I am sure these kind of premia will exist for almost all components across all price ranges.

It is only when a Pro-Ject or a Rega or a clearaudio is sold in some numbers here that Indians will venture to manufacture turntables and associated components, at a lower price point, maybe at lower quality initially as they will be on a learning curve. If these Indian products do well, then foreign manufacturers might either drop prices or think of assembly here to reduce costs. That is the way it happens to most engineered goods and I reckon that will happen here as well.

Regards

I believe most original masters are no longer there with them.
i am pretty sure you arent believing the correct fact.
last sundays hindustan times sunday mag carries cover story "black is back"
the writer categorically visited those alleys in kol n mum and let alone lata and rafi redbooks, even folk and lesser known artists are being stored carefully. there treasure is already vintage and valuable and they know better than treat it bad. why even radio ceylon has tonnes of indian lps. better than your akashvani library.
they know what value it holds to modern indian history.
i have another strong reason to believe you are wrong : if what you said were true my grandchildrenz pram would be brand rolls royce considering the appreciation of my treasure.
i cant be that lucky . was i ever??:p
>>>

Expecting inexpensive turntables and tonearms, cartridges, phono pre-amps, power amps, cables and speakers for a good hifi might be too much when the market for such a product is miniscule in India. Moreover most of the products are imported here and customs duties and taxes comprise a substantial proportion of the price that an enthusiast will have to shell out.

agree with every single word of your post that i edited.
however all i am saying is, even in west, lps are no more the mainstream format. i am sure there arent more than few lacs audiophiles over the globe sticking to lps as staple.
now please see the bold sentence. yes the market is minuscule. but we are talking about expanding it. for that you have to make em cheaper.
with todays ultra advanced metallurgical and nanotech manufacturing processes, making boat loads of a good design stylus, cart, tonearm motor and plinth shouldnt cost musch as the material cost isnt too much and the manufacture setups(assembly, designingetc) cost offsets reflected per piece wont be too big.
hence , when a stylus has 5rs worth of titanium, 1 rs worth each of plastic and steel, all it should cost to the dealer should be 15-20 rs if not for assembly and design costs which are as of now equated on limited number of pieces. tonearm that way comes to 150-750 and that includes carbon fibre stuff.
imagine a stylus selling 5000 pcs monthly. its manufacturer needs to input about 50k rs on raw material and maybe thrice that amt on labour etc.
if his assembly cost him 10 million rs and it will be good for coming 10 years,he has 120(okay, say just 100) mths to equate his cost on his product. comes to another 100ks per month.so, you get 5000 stylus for nearly 300ks. comes to 60 rs a stylus at his end. maybe 250 rs to end user.
now if he sells just 60 stylus a month(i think thats an optimistic figure today considering a slew of brands.) his logistics would be 5000rs per stylus.
you cant much reduce the cost of a M800 or a santro(taxation not factored in) but you can always reduce significant costs on a merc s class by reducing the wastagesn manufacturing costs. :p
cheap components isnt a physics impossibility. its logistically not feasible as of now and we wish this changes.
thats why i took half hour to type-post this.
cheers all.

Last edited:
Most of HMVs stuff is now only on the digital format. I believe most original masters are no longer there with them. So as far as old hindi stuff is concerned it is better to stick with the old pressings.
Prem, 6th of March 'Brunch' Magazine supplement of Hindustan Times has cover story 'Black is back' on revival of records. The writer did mention Gramophone Company of India (Kolkatta) has master discs from which vinyls are pressed.
Regards.
edit : Oops. sorry I see already entsurgeon mentioned this. :eek::eek::eek:
Addition : Those who are reluctant to take a plunge in analogue setup, I would suggest if budget permits listen to both medium. Digital and Analogue. Entry level analogue or used TT setup can also be good.

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back