tees maar khan lp released. we wont buy it.

I second entsurgeon's opinion...

Further, I'd like to add, vinyl has always been considered a cumbersome format. due to various factors like - size maintenence etc.
In fact every time a new format came into being (read compact cassetes, compact disc and now mp3) Vinyl became more and more niche....

It will remain so, despite it having the BEST SQ among all these formats.

As HD audio becomes cheaper and more accessable, with more titles being launched, Vinyl will take a hit on two counts:
1. Comparable SQ and dynamics
2. convenience

But where it will score on is its amazingly organic sound. That is something no digital format can come close to.

But, a vast majority prefers convenience over the difference in SQ.

In short, vinyl, will NEVER become a popular medium and remain a favourite with the believers. While more and more people are converting to the format, it is still at a rate that is slower than the overall market growth for all formats...

Because of the above argument, I must sadly conclude that:
1. The prices will remain on the higher side of the spectrum.
2. The prices of pre-owned hindi LPs and Indian Classical, Ghazal and folk will increase by atleast 3-times (as i don't see them being re-released on the format)
3. Popular tiltles will be re-mastered and released so as to benefit the label the most. So, if you're a music listener with discerning taste keep your eyes peeled to the street vendors.

Most of HMVs stuff is now only on the digital format. I believe most original masters are no longer there with them. So as far as old hindi stuff is concerned it is better to stick with the old pressings.

i am pretty sure you arent believing the correct fact.
last sundays hindustan times sunday mag carries cover story "black is back"
the writer categorically visited those alleys in kol n mum and let alone lata and rafi redbooks, even folk and lesser known artists are being stored carefully. there treasure is already vintage and valuable and they know better than treat it bad. why even radio ceylon has tonnes of indian lps. better than your akashvani library.
they know what value it holds to modern indian history.

Dr one person whose advise needs to be taken seriously ,if you feel the person who is "IN" industry,then the person is Prem.

He is too modest to admit ,but what he "thinks" may be first hand information.

From the third hand info I got HMV already damaged most of their archives , and that explains pathetic quality of their modern "remastered" cd's.Nothing to comment on the article ,but ( unless person like Manav rights) such articles are written by feature writers or journalists who many times do not take care to check even Wikipedia. There are exceptions ,very few.

BTW ,least for regional recordings many archices on Radio/Doordarshan are in bad shape or simply destroyed. ( This is particularly true about Noted Author in Marathi P.L Deshpande ,whose speeches and may DD apperances ,his plays are not available today. Worst part is that he worked for Radio ,in delhi too and sent to UK for training when first TV brodcast was supposed to launch in India.If it is true about Late PLD ,considered as one of the greatest Marathi author, you can easily assume fate of other artists.)

BTW ,least for regional recordings many archices on Radio/Doordarshan are in bad shape or simply destroyed. ( This is particularly true about Noted Author in Marathi P.L Deshpande ,whose speeches and may DD apperances ,his plays are not available today. Worst part is that he worked for Radio ,in delhi too and sent to UK for training when first TV brodcast was supposed to launch in India.If it is true about Late PLD ,considered as one of the greatest Marathi author, you can easily assume fate of other artists.)
I loved writings of P. L. Deshpande. Sometimes Doordarshan do repeat his work (I think one play was also aired). Doordarshan Sahayadri sometimes air old Indian classicals by famous artist. Sound quality is very good. I have a friend at Akashwani, will ask him about the archives.
Regards

From the third hand info I got HMV already damaged most of their archives , and that explains pathetic quality of their modern "remastered" cd's.Nothing to comment on the article ,but ( unless person like Manav rights) such articles are written by feature writers or journalists who many times do not take care to check even Wikipedia. There are exceptions ,very few.

>>>

To add to hemantwaghe's remarks, I had been informed a couple of years ago that HMV in Calcutta had very valuable archival material, including speeches by various Indian freedom fighters and public figures (including Gokhale and Tagore), classical musicians of yore such as VD Paluskar, DV Paluskar, Fayyaz Khan, Allaudin Khan, Amir Khan, Hirabai Badodekar, Mogubai Kurdekar and many many more, apart from the usual suspects ( popular Hindi film music from the 1930s - RC Boral/Pankaj Mullick through the 1970s- RD Burman et. al) but they were stored haphazardly and maintained unprofessionally.

Only our creator would know what happened to this invaluable treasure trove.

As a nation we firmly believe in BFR (Build - Forget - Rebuild) and not in BMRr (Build -Maintain -Rebuild only if required). Whereas an Italy can still maintain Michelangelo's work bench we can't maintain tapes from the early twentieth century. A pity and a tragedy.

Regards

Last edited:
Bought this piece of gem for only fourty rupees :yahoo:

netaji.jpg
netajiback.jpg

hi folks
all the new lps are avail at rhythm house kala ghoda mumbai
nice to se them after a very very long time .
after all the lp era has come back
u can c them at landmark infiniti mall andheri too
u get most of international lp s also
if u c the videos of making a master of vinyl disc on u tube u will fill the price for vinyl is
worth spending
bye

Bought one month ago there are hundreds of LP available. Bengali, Hindi and some English price between Rs 30.00 to 300.00. Recently bought Harry Belafonte CALYPSO, At Carnegie Hall, Pure Gold.Eagles Hotel California, Back in Black by AC/DC, Jim Reeves, Michael Jackson Ben etc etc. All are MINT.

is it possible to get any records of nethaji Lp?

do you mean is it possible to get any nethaji lp @40 rs???
A: if you ever do, get a bumper lottery draw ticket immediately. its your lucky day.
i have seen lps of jlnehru, mk gandhi. netaji and indiraji among a select few other similar titles with vendors. most quote about 1k for that

The Carnegie Hall Concert is a classic. I too have a mint copy of that. Those jazz drums and trumpets sound fantastic on vinyl.

Got "Belafonte Returns to Carnegie Hall" as well, but not as good a performance.

Awesome. I had collected lots of Cliff LPs...foolishly gave them away in my more "rock" oriented phase...would love to get some of these, especially "Wired for sound" and "Now you see me, now you don't"

The Carnegie Hall Concert is a classic. I too have a mint copy of that. Those jazz drums and trumpets sound fantastic on vinyl.

Got "Belafonte Returns to Carnegie Hall" as well, but not as good a performance.

You are right I have Belafonte Returns to Carnegie Hall in CD.

Back