Tempted to do one more speaker project

This is a very competent material for speaker enclosures. Extremely inert. There is somebody in bangalore who imports this and he can make any size enclosure you want according to someone I know.
AFAIK, DuPont India introduced Corian at least 6-7 years ago. Probably available at DuPont dealers.

I finally pulled the trigger on this project. I am now in the process of assembling the drivers and assorted hardware from the US. The drivers are from the SS Classic series, 18W8545K and D2905-9500, in an MTM floorstanding design, inductors are Solen Perfect Lay 14 ga, have to figure out the rest of it-port tubes, caps, resistors and the like.

No. I got the components all in only yesterday. I picked up the crossover parts, etc and the tweeters from the US a couple of weeks ago, and the four mids came into my hands yesterday.

I have to convert the plans from detailed drawings into an easier form that my carpenter can understand, and get him to quote for the work.

In the meantime I have also got some other toys, which are equally distracting-a 40 wpc EL 34 amp and an Optoma HD 20 pj. I m tempted to finish my HT room first before starting on the speaker project, because this new Scanspeak MTM has to replace another system, which first has to go from my house. I plan to dispose off a 2A3 Class A amp and a pair of Fostex FR towers, because I dont have the space for the new project!

I will be watching this thread with great interest as SS is in my wish list and will be taking up this project someday soon. Just lacking some money and Spouse approval for this project:)

Quick question. How does the classic series compares to the revelators. Asking because the SS Rev MT would've probably costed the same as classic MTM. Which brings me to another question, what are the advantages of an MTM over MT, apart from the increased output. If I am not looking for increased output, will an MT perform atleast as good as an MTM.

No. I got the components all in only yesterday. I picked up the crossover parts, etc and the tweeters from the US a couple of weeks ago, and the four mids came into my hands yesterday.

I have to convert the plans from detailed drawings into an easier form that my carpenter can understand, and get him to quote for the work.

In the meantime I have also got some other toys, which are equally distracting-a 40 wpc EL 34 amp and an Optoma HD 20 pj. I m tempted to finish my HT room first before starting on the speaker project, because this new Scanspeak MTM has to replace another system, which first has to go from my house. I plan to dispose off a 2A3 Class A amp and a pair of Fostex FR towers, because I dont have the space for the new project!

Hello,

You must have a serious look on my MTM speakers by Acoustic Portrait using the same drivers before the start of your new build.

regards,
venu

Last edited:
Doors

It is not so much about increased output, as more area= better sound. I think SS Classic series is a good high end starting point-I currently own one 2 way using the Classics, and am really happy with them over the past 10 years I have owned them. Revelators are better, no doubt, though the implementation should be good. You are right about the MTM probably ending up with cost of drivers similar to a Revelator MT, but I chose this based on the designer. I have heard Suri's Revelators and found them outstanding.

George,

Just got intrested in speaker building program. As of now reading information on the net of basics of speaker building, crossovers and selecting of drivers etc.

I see you got the drivers imported from US. Can we get them via mail or parcel. Do any of the suppliers inclined to do so.

Thanks
pandu

Hi Pandu

I have hand carried all my drivers from the US, in my checked in or carry on bags. The tweeters are not heavy but the high end mids like the Scanspeaks weigh a bit-I think each 18W unit is around 3.25 kgs-and my latest project uses four of them. I dont know what it will cost to ship, I think Parts Express and maybe Madisound do ship to India. With outfits like Borderlinx, things are easier than before. The coil inductors are also very heavy.

Zalytron is another good vendor from whom I have bought drivers.

Cheers

My apologies if my questions are a bit OT. Which 2A3 amp? What tubes - Svetalana or Shuguang 2A3C? Curious because I regret selling the Wright 2A3s while retaining the Almarro A205A.

Check Meniscus Audio's site-among others they are distributors for Scanspeaks. I have dealt with Mark who owns it and found him very responsive. If you need I can call him and make the intro, whenever you want me to.

Sovteks. The Joplin from diyhifi supply, giving 9wpc in Class A using a pair of 2A3 tubes per channel in Directly Heated Triode pp config. It can be rewired to use 300B or 45 tubes as well. I lost my appetite fo 300Bs after finding out how much it cost to buy four of them from Sophia Electric, when I bought my EL 34 amp from them.

Peerless Drivers are good if they are designed well. It depends upon what kind of cross-over design you use with these drivers. You mess up with the cross-over and you have a very bad sounding speaker and do the cross-over well and it sounds great for the price you pay for these drivers. I used WINISD for designing the enclousre with my Peerless Book-shelfs (SKO130) and these software is very good for designing enclosures as it simulates the frequency and phase plot after you enter the TS parameter. Also other tools are available in this software. You may consider using them for the new project which you are planning.

I am writing this here as I am not able to send Pm

Hello Hari Sir,
I Read through this thread, You speakers indeed Look very Good and as told by members they sound very good.

Sir, I am getting a pair of Peerless India M16kh Driver from My friend in US. they are the same drivers as mentioned in this forum some where.

Sir I request if you could guide and help me making a pair of floor standers based on these drivers.

Picgures of the Bamberg Audio design MTM speakers Series 4.5K using Scanspeak mids 18W8545K and D2905 9500 tweeters.The first lot has pictures before and during assembly, the second lot is to follow

Attachments

• Crossover 1.JPG
    Crossover 1.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Crossover 2.JPG
    Crossover 2.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Encl 1.JPG
    Encl 1.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Encl 2.JPG
    Encl 2.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 108
  • Encl 3.JPG
    Encl 3.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 108
The first picture shows Philip Isaac of Lizzner Electronics,Bangalore soldering the components during assembly.

The speakers are connected to the Grounded Grid preamp(Transcendant Sound) and an ANthem EL 34 pp outputting 40 wpc. The source is a Squeezebox Touch(may shift to my Duet later), doing through a Peter Daniels NOS DAC. During the burning in itself all I can say is that the sound is outstanding, bass, treble, channel separation etc..The best speaker project for me so far. Drivers were about $1100, the rest of it was about the same-the crossovers, the design, the custom baffle plate, the egg crate foam, other hardware and the enclosure.

Attachments

• IMG_0957.JPG
    IMG_0957.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0958.JPG
    IMG_0958.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0959.JPG
    IMG_0959.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0960.JPG
    IMG_0960.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 107
Hopefully the last speaker project I am tempted to do for some time to preserve domestic harmony!

I have connected up a a 12 inch sub which was there for my earlier stand mounted speakers,but I suspect I will disconnect it because the bass is pretty good.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back