Tempted to do one more speaker project

GeorgeO

I'm seriously considering building one more speaker system :D :D

(Big boys like Big Toys, right?)

I planned to initially to build a stand mounted 2 way for my son in NY, now I am considering donating one of my 2 ways( it uses Scanspeak drivers 18W 8454/D 2905 9300). It's a real pleasure listening to this and I originally thought I would build two enclosures and take them across on my next trip to NY and mount the drivers there. On second thought, I am leaning towards donating my speakers to the young man and building one more. It goes without saying that he will pay for the transducers for the new project :yahoo:

The one that I am looking at, is to get the plans for this design( it also uses Scanspeaks, which to my mind are probably among the best transducers that money can buy today) and build it:

Bamberg Engineering Sound Lab

Anilva has experience of using active crossovers using the Behringer Ultradrive, and I am also strongly tempted to go down that path, since the designer will only sell the passive crossover if one buys both drivers and hardware from him, which at this time I am disinclined to do. His design initially uses actives and then he develops the passive crossovers later.

Anil and I had achat yesterday and he suggested I consider open baffles. I was strongly tempted to do a BLH after hearing Anil's horns, but I think I may prefer to do this one instead.

Actually the BESL 4.5 is a bit bigger than the Elsinore. It's about 42 in high, abut 21 inches deep, and about 11 inches wide. The depth is a lot more than any other similar floorstander.

The other issue of course is that of bringing 6 drivers across to India Vs 10 of them. Finally, my personal experience of owning and listening to Scanspeaks for the past 10 years is that they are outstanding drivers, and as I said earlier, probably considered the best that money can buy. I wont say that about the Peerless or Vifa drivers.

Finally, my personal experience of owning and listening to Scanspeaks for the past 10 years is that they are outstanding drivers, and as I said earlier, probably considered the best that money can buy. I wont say that about the Peerless or Vifa drivers.
For the price - they better be outstanding :eek:hyeah:

The other issue of course is that of bringing 6 drivers across to India Vs 10 of them. Finally, my personal experience of owning and listening to Scanspeaks for the past 10 years is that they are outstanding drivers, and as I said earlier, probably considered the best that money can buy. I wont say that about the Peerless or Vifa drivers.

Peerless Drivers are good if they are designed well. It depends upon what kind of cross-over design you use with these drivers. You mess up with the cross-over and you have a very bad sounding speaker and do the cross-over well and it sounds great for the price you pay for these drivers. I used WINISD for designing the enclousre with my Peerless Book-shelfs (SKO130) and these software is very good for designing enclosures as it simulates the frequency and phase plot after you enter the TS parameter. Also other tools are available in this software. You may consider using them for the new project which you are planning.

Indeed. Fancy drivers in a poor design can be underperformers. I should have rephrased my comment about Peerless and Vifas-I have no prior experience with them,s o I am not in a position to comment.

My experience with Scanspeak drivers for the past 10 years has been so good, I am comfortable sticking to them for a high end application. If done right I think they are head and shoulders above most other drivers, though I am sure there are others that are very good. My personal experience also covers Focals, Ravens, Audax and Fostex. They dont come cheap though, but hey sometimes what you pay is what you get!

George, pick the best enclosure that the scanspeak demands by design and then we can worry about the crossover. We have enough and more tools and ammunition to get this done optimally. Behringer is a good way to go down that path. Open baffles are great to listen to with an easy sound, but tend to have problems in the low end. A sub-woofer support is a must.

Cheers.

"To hear is to Obey"-Old Jungle Saying

>George, pick the best enclosure that the scanspeak demands by design and then we >can worry about the crossover. We have enough and more tools and ammunition to get >this done optimally. Behringer is a good way to go down that path. Open baffles are >great to listen to with an easy sound, but tend to have problems in the low end. A sub->woofer support is a must.

Hey George,

I used to have a speaker using the exactly the same drivers (scan speak 9500 / 18W/8545-K). You are in for a treat if you do it right. Great drivers to work with.

Here's a pic

scnspk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Great..I think an MTM done right with the same drivers will be even better.

On their website www.scanspeak.dk, they modestly say that people refer to their drivers that are "the best that money can buy"! The truth is that their transducers are just outstanding, and only those who have them know how they perform.

Great..I think an MTM done right with the same drivers will be even better.

On their website www.scanspeak.dk, they modestly say that people refer to their drivers that are "the best that money can buy"! The truth is that their transducers are just outstanding, and only those who have them know how they perform.

The scanspeaks are some of the most dynamic drivers I have ever heard. I have heard a very good MTM design done by acoustic portrait. Press play and the performers are in the room :) Extremely dynamic, neutral.

A very important factor apart from the crossover is the cabinet design. Since these woofers are very dynamic and powerful, you need to make sure the cabinet construction/design is top notch. The drivers excite the cabinet easily. I was once contemplating making a scan speak driver based speaker with an inert and heavy material. The name of the material escapes me now.

Remembered the material :)

It is called corian !

This is a very competent material for speaker enclosures. Extremely inert. There is somebody in bangalore who imports this and he can make any size enclosure you want according to someone I know.

Mark and Daniel uses Corian for speakers.
Mark & Daniel manufacturer and distributor of high end speakers including the Maximus, Aragorn, Apollo, AMT Dreams drivers

Here is a dynaudio top of the line speaker using Corian
Dynaudio Esotar 3 Way Reference Monitors For Sale | AudiogoN

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back